Computer locks up solid during video work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
    showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.

    The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
    converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.

    Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
    resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!

    And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
    nothing.

    And any video player or editing package will do it.

    I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?

    Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

    Bob, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Bob

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:13:45 -0500, Bob <> wrote:

    >I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
    >showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
    >
    >The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
    >converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
    >
    >Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
    >resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
    >
    >And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
    >nothing.
    >
    >And any video player or editing package will do it.
    >
    >I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
    >
    >Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.

    Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

    If that solves the problem, try updating your video card drivers.

    Unk, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Bob

    Mac attack Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
    > showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
    >
    > The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
    > converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
    >
    > Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
    > resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
    >
    > And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
    > nothing.
    >
    > And any video player or editing package will do it.
    >
    > I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
    >
    > Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

    Several possibilities, hard to tell with no error codes. here are some
    of the more likely causes.
    A quick search of Intel's site shows 3 MB with the number 845 in the
    designation, 2 of them support the Pentium4 and one of those 2 come with
    onboard video.

    1) If your motherboard has an integrated video card enabled, Buy a real
    video card (AGP) and disable the onboard one in the bios, If you have
    already done this or have been running an AGP card all along then,

    2) Power supply is too small. I tend to favor this one because you say
    it has become worse since adding another device.

    HTH

    Mac attack, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:56:58 -0500, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:13:45 -0500, Bob <> wrote:
    >

    >>I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
    >>showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
    >>
    >>The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
    >>converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
    >>
    >>Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
    >>resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
    >>
    >>And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
    >>nothing.
    >>
    >>And any video player or editing package will do it.
    >>
    >>I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
    >>
    >>Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

    >Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
    >
    >Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
    >Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.
    >
    >If that solves the problem, try updating your video card drivers.

    I tried that, but the editor won't work without 3/4 of the accelerator... still
    crashes.

    Maybe I'll try it turned off and just play videos and see... but that's not a
    fix!

    Bob, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:03:15 GMT, Mac attack <> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >> I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
    >> showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
    >>
    >> The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
    >> converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
    >>
    >> Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
    >> resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
    >>
    >> And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
    >> nothing.
    >>
    >> And any video player or editing package will do it.
    >>
    >> I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
    >>
    >> Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.
    >>

    >Several possibilities, hard to tell with no error codes. here are some
    >of the more likely causes.

    sometimes it told me I had a problem with something... ATI blah blah DLL or
    something... I updated the video drivers a while back... still does it now
    and then.

    >A quick search of Intel's site shows 3 MB with the number 845 in the
    >designation, 2 of them support the Pentium4 and one of those 2 come with
    >onboard video.
    >
    >1) If your motherboard has an integrated video card enabled, Buy a real
    >video card (AGP) and disable the onboard one in the bios, If you have
    >already done this or have been running an AGP card all along then,

    It has no onboard video - I forgot to mention it's a Sapphire ATI 7000 series
    AGP 4x. cheap card!

    >2) Power supply is too small. I tend to favor this one because you say
    >it has become worse since adding another device.

    maybe - but that device is external USB and has a power plug... but this clone
    could have bad hardware... I had to replace the IDE cables for faster ones since
    it came with low speed shit that couldn't even do video transfer!

    hmmmm I have a HD drawer, and adding another HD doesn't cause a crash... it's
    not in now and that takes a lot of power... might not be the case supply.

    I suspect the video card... but it's hard to buy a 4X these days!

    Maybe I should get the BIOS updated?

    Bob, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Bob

    Om_Audio Guest

    So buy an 8x - it will simply run at 4x
    I have a 8x I run on a BX chipset which only runs 2x and never had a prob.
    Nvidia card.
    Heat issues? Is the video card fan still working?
    Also- it is quite significant if you say you got a driver error related to
    the ATI graphics- remove it all entirely and install a cheap PCI or AGP
    card- or nicer one if you can return it (in the event the problem persists)

    BIOS- well sure- never a bad idea if there are BIOS updates go for it- it
    will also set the graphics aperture to 64Mb or 128Mb- you usually set it to
    some ratio of either the graphics RAM or system RAM- someone help me out
    with that one.

    Also- cheap power supplies are bad regardless- I got a nice 400W Antec and I
    think it's worth the $100 I spent. I have every slot maxed and 4 drives,
    firewire/usb card w 2 drives and much more- extra case fans- but I am sure
    my PS is adequate. Computer troubleshooting is very often deductive- and
    sometimes what you are *sure* is not the problem actually is.

    Take care,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Feb 25, 2005