    to.

    Any idea what causes this and how to remedy it?

    Thanks.

    Dimetric Houston, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Dimetric Houston

    Thor Guest

    "Dimetric Houston" <> wrote in message
    news:huivc.3982$...
    > Hello all. I'm running Win98SE.
    >
    > Sometimes when I click Shut Down on the Start Menu, the computer locks up
    > while giving me the light blue "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
    > doesn't happen often, but it is annoying still the same. Last night I

    left
    > the computer on for 25 minutes while waiting for it to finally shut down.

    > know it doesn't take the blasted thing that long, so I knew it had locked
    > up. My only recourse was to turn the power off. You know what that leads
    > to.

    make sure you have the Win98SE shutdown patch from microsoft applied. If
    that doesn't help, then you'll need to determine what program is failing to
    shut down, thus preventing windows from shutting down the computer. Right
    before you exit windows, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and make note of all the running
    programs in the list. Anything besides Explorer, and Systray are suspect. It
    could be a background program failing to close, or a program that you
    launched sometime during your session. Look for any program you had used and
    thought you had closed, but still is listed as running. Use MSconfig to
    disable background tasks from running to help narrow down the problem. The
    biggest problem is that you said the issue is intermittent. That makes it
    hard to determine the program that is the problem.

    Thor, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I had the same problem when I was using Win98SE, I downloaded CWShredder and
    Ad-aware and ran them. It turned out that I had malware on my computer.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Dimetric Houston

    Kenny Guest

    Maybe something here.
    http://aumha.org/win4/kbshtdwn.php

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Thanks, everyone.

    I downloaded the shutdown patch, and so far everything is doing ok.

    I've looked at the other things you all told me as well. Whew, quite a bit
    of information!

    However, I have to ask. What is malware?

    Thanks.

    Dimetric Houston, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
    into the other information you all gave me.

    I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
    nothing was loading or anything.

    I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a good
    number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
    see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
    programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?

    Thanks.

    Dimetric Houston, Jun 9, 2004
  8. Dimetric Houston

    > Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
    > into the other information you all gave me.
    >
    > I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
    > nothing was loading or anything.
    >
    > I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a

    good
    > number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
    > see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
    > programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If spybot ID'd them as a problem, then they are most likely spyware or
    related to programs that are tied to spyware. Besides, you always have the
    "recovery" option in Spybot to restore what you removed, plus you can make a
    registry backup with it.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004
  9. Dimetric Houston

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I have Ad-aware Pro 6.0, that is one of the best anti spyware programs on
    the market.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  10. Dimetric Houston

    Stuart Guest

    Dimetric Houston wrote:
    > Blast. Locked up again. Ok, seems the patch didn't help. Now I'll look
    > into the other information you all gave me.
    >
    > I know I had about five browser windows open when I clicked shutdown, but
    > nothing was loading or anything.
    >
    > I did install Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Concerning Spybot, it found a good
    > number of things dealing with IE, but I am afraid to delete them because I
    > see some of them are plugins, which I believe would be needed to help some
    > programs operate. Would it be safe to delete these plugins?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Description from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/malware.html
    >>
    >>Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or
    >>disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.
    >>
    >>LJ

    The button next to 'fix these problems' allows you to view a description
    of the selected item, it is usually detailed enough for you to work out
    whether it is legitimate or not and always update the programs before
    doing a scan. I also use Bazooka, that has found things the other two
    have not seen.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Dash-burn it, locked up again.

    Hey, I think I do see one thing that may have something to do with this. I
    had Media Player 9 running for quite a while (several hours while looking at
    trailers), then I closed everything out and tried to Shut Down.

    If memory serves correctly, I think these lock up moments occur after doing
    a lot of surfing, or playing of Media Player for long periods of time.

    Could the memory buffers be so filled that the computer can't run the Shut
    Down function?

    Dimetric Houston, Jun 23, 2004