Computer kerflooey/won't recognize hardware

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by socializt, Jun 28, 2011.

1. socializt

socializt

This morning, my open webpage began flickering 2 different incomplete error messages, as though they were trying to "beam" onto the page and unable to do so fully. I quickly shut the page; underneath, my open Hotmail page displaying a message began to scroll my text rapidly down the page; again, panicking, I closed that page; underneath that, an open word document, completely unattached to the internet, also began scrolling rapidly downward. At this point, I did a hard shut-down of my not-year-old Dell PC.
    After a few minutes, I powered it back up. Everything looked normal, although some icons had disappeared from the bottom toolbar (Skype, McAfee) so I found McAfee in the start menu and commenced a full scan, background.
    Later, I attached my camera to the computer with a USB cable to download some pictures, and nothing happened. I tried using the Windows Live Gallery import button, but after checking and re-checking connections and the on/off button on the camera, cannot get the computer to recognize the camera.
    Some research suggests the BIOS on the computer may have changed, and some of your earlier posts suggest that it could be a bad battery.
    I am hesitant to mess around with changing the BIOS, since one site warned of dire consequences if done improperly, and I'm no computer expert. In fact, I have no idea how to "reset" it or change it.
    Any suggestions? Do I have to call the Geek Squad?
    socializt, Jun 28, 2011
    1. Advertising