Computer keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by belovah@gmail.com, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Ok, so here's my problem.

    I've recently decided to reinstall windows xp on my computer. So I made
    a backup of all important files that I have.

    Then I formated partition D. Everything was ok.

    Next thing I restarted my pc and put in cd-rom windows xp cd and got to
    the windows instalation screen but it wouldn't let me install them
    because harddrive couldn't be found(?). And it also said that there's
    maybe a problem with the floppy and it would be best to remove it.
    (something like that, i'm not sure)

    So then I went to BIOS and I changed some settings. I set CD/DVD to
    primary master (before it was auto i think) and I disabled floppy.

    Then I restarted my computer and it got to the boot screen where you
    can enter bios and you can see if the ram is ok...

    But now I'm stuck there. It won't go any further and I can't even enter
    bios anymore. When I press F2 it only writes something like "go->bios"
    and then computer restarts.

    Can I make this work again? I just hope I didn't do anything fatal

    Someone help me please, I'm kinda new around computers.

    ps: sorry for my english

    , Jul 25, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:44:07 -0700, belovah wrote:

    > Ok, so here's my problem.
    >
    > I've recently decided to reinstall windows xp on my computer. So I made a
    > backup of all important files that I have.
    >
    > Then I formated partition D. Everything was ok.
    >
    > Next thing I restarted my pc and put in cd-rom windows xp cd and got to
    > the windows instalation screen but it wouldn't let me install them because
    > harddrive couldn't be found(?). And it also said that there's maybe a
    > problem with the floppy and it would be best to remove it. (something like
    > that, i'm not sure)
    >
    > So then I went to BIOS and I changed some settings. I set CD/DVD to
    > primary master (before it was auto i think) and I disabled floppy.
    >
    > Then I restarted my computer and it got to the boot screen where you can
    > enter bios and you can see if the ram is ok...
    >
    > But now I'm stuck there. It won't go any further and I can't even enter
    > bios anymore. When I press F2 it only writes something like "go->bios" and
    > then computer restarts.
    >
    > Can I make this work again? I just hope I didn't do anything fatal
    >
    > Someone help me please, I'm kinda new around computers.
    >
    > ps: sorry for my english

    Save yourself some torment and take the PC to someone who knows what
    they're doing.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    Planning to do that...

    But do you know what could be wrong?

    I just want to know if this can be repaired.

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:44:07 -0700, belovah wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, so here's my problem.
    > >
    > > I've recently decided to reinstall windows xp on my computer. So I made a
    > > backup of all important files that I have.
    > >
    > > Then I formated partition D. Everything was ok.
    > >
    > > Next thing I restarted my pc and put in cd-rom windows xp cd and got to
    > > the windows instalation screen but it wouldn't let me install them because
    > > harddrive couldn't be found(?). And it also said that there's maybe a
    > > problem with the floppy and it would be best to remove it. (something like
    > > that, i'm not sure)
    > >
    > > So then I went to BIOS and I changed some settings. I set CD/DVD to
    > > primary master (before it was auto i think) and I disabled floppy.
    > >
    > > Then I restarted my computer and it got to the boot screen where you can
    > > enter bios and you can see if the ram is ok...
    > >
    > > But now I'm stuck there. It won't go any further and I can't even enter
    > > bios anymore. When I press F2 it only writes something like "go->bios" and
    > > then computer restarts.
    > >
    > > Can I make this work again? I just hope I didn't do anything fatal
    > >
    > > Someone help me please, I'm kinda new around computers.
    > >
    > > ps: sorry for my english

    > Save yourself some torment and take the PC to someone who knows what
    > they're doing.
    >
    > --
    > COOSN-266-06-25794

    , Jul 25, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:55:55 -0700, belovah wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Computer keeps restarting
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 25 Jul 2006 01:55:55 -0700
    >
    > Planning to do that...
    >
    > But do you know what could be wrong?

    Ok let me get out my crystal ball...

    > I just want to know if this can be repaired.

    Usually.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 25, 2006
  5. <> wrote in message
    > Planning to do that...
    >
    > But do you know what could be wrong?
    >
    > I just want to know if this can be repaired.

    I'd say undo the BIOS changes you did, and get someone else to make
    the SATA driver diskette you need for your SATA controller built into the MB
    that your SATA drive is attached to.

    And if that's gibberish, take it to someone who knows what they're
    doing, smile, open your wallet, and say "Help Yourself". Pournelle's Law B)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Ben Myers Guest

    Unplug the computer, open the case and look for a set of jumpers
    marked "reset CMOS" or "clear CMOS". Take a wide-bladed
    screwdriver or anything with a wide metal blade and an insulated
    handle and carefully short the jumpers together for a few seconds.
    If this gets you back into the BIOS setup, I suggest you set the boot
    sequence to "A:, C:", save the settings, then download installation
    software from the manufacturer of the hard drive or drives. These
    downloads typically create a bootable floppy that will guide you
    through the procedure.

    Maxtor http://tinyurl.com/3nz9y
    Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support
    Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=23

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Plato Guest

    Plato, Jul 25, 2006
  8. ProfGene Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok, so here's my problem.
    >
    > I've recently decided to reinstall windows xp on my computer. So I made
    > a backup of all important files that I have.
    >
    > Then I formated partition D. Everything was ok.
    >
    > Next thing I restarted my pc and put in cd-rom windows xp cd and got to
    > the windows instalation screen but it wouldn't let me install them
    > because harddrive couldn't be found(?). And it also said that there's
    > maybe a problem with the floppy and it would be best to remove it.
    > (something like that, i'm not sure)
    >
    > So then I went to BIOS and I changed some settings. I set CD/DVD to
    > primary master (before it was auto i think) and I disabled floppy.
    >
    > Then I restarted my computer and it got to the boot screen where you
    > can enter bios and you can see if the ram is ok...
    >
    > But now I'm stuck there. It won't go any further and I can't even enter
    > bios anymore. When I press F2 it only writes something like "go->bios"
    > and then computer restarts.
    >
    > Can I make this work again? I just hope I didn't do anything fatal
    >
    > Someone help me please, I'm kinda new around computers.
    >
    > ps: sorry for my english

    You should get a boot disk or startup disk and boot to that which will
    work if the floppy is one of the options. You should not change master
    or slave in the bios and leave the drives on auto detect. If you can
    boot to a boot disk try resetting the bios either with the proper jumper
    or by removing the batter for a few mintues then putting the battery
    back in, that is the Cmos batter on the motherboard which should reset
    the bios. Then try to enter the bios again.

    ProfGene, Jul 26, 2006
  9. Gogi Guest

    Gogi, Aug 1, 2006