Computer Keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by amar586, May 29, 2007.

  1. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    Hi

    HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

    P4 3GHZ Processor
    2GB Memory
    2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    Power Supply 400
    Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

    I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
    on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
    run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
    decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
    picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
    still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
    scan.

    I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

    -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    -changed motherboard
    -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    -removed 1 stick of memory
    - Put memory stick in over slots

    Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

    please can you help

    thanks

    amar586

    amar586, May 29, 2007

  2. amar586

    treehugger Guest

    amar586 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
    >
    > P4 3GHZ Processor
    > 2GB Memory
    > 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    > Power Supply 400
    > Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
    >
    > I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    > started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    > to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    > rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
    > on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
    > run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
    > decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
    > picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
    > still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
    > scan.
    >
    > I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
    >
    > -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    > -changed motherboard
    > -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    > -removed 1 stick of memory
    > - Put memory stick in over slots
    >
    > Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
    >
    > please can you help
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > amar586

    Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    treehugger, May 29, 2007

  3. amar586

    panishdesai

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    this is the problem with the processor and heatsink assembly. please change the processsor and heatsink assembly to resolve this issue, after changing the processor i normally advise to flash the BIOS with latest versin available.

    panishdesai, May 29, 2007
  4. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 13:04, treehugger <> wrote:
    > amar586 wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

    > > P4 3GHZ Processor
    > > 2GB Memory
    > > 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    > > Power Supply 400
    > > Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

    > > I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    > > started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    > > to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    > > rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
    > > on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
    > > run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
    > > decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
    > > picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
    > > still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
    > > scan.

    > > I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

    > > -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    > > -changed motherboard
    > > -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    > > -removed 1 stick of memory
    > > - Put memory stick in over slots

    > > Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

    > > please can you help

    > > thanks

    > > amar586

    > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?- Hide quoted text -

    what should the temps be at?

    amar586, May 29, 2007
  5. amar586

    Ace Hung Guest

    treehugger wrote:
    > amar586 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
    >>
    >> P4 3GHZ Processor
    >> 2GB Memory
    >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    >> Power Supply 400
    >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
    >>
    >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    >> started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    >> to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    >> rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
    >> on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
    >> run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
    >> decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
    >> picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
    >> still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
    >> scan.
    >>
    >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
    >>
    >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    >> -changed motherboard
    >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    >> -removed 1 stick of memory
    >> - Put memory stick in over slots
    >>
    >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
    >>
    >> please can you help
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> amar586
    >>

    > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
    reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
    the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?

    -Hung

    Ace Hung, May 29, 2007
  6. amar586

    kilikini Guest

    treehugger wrote:
    > amar586 wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
    >>
    >> P4 3GHZ Processor
    >> 2GB Memory
    >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    >> Power Supply 400
    >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
    >>
    >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then
    >> it started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC
    >> started to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was
    >> ok then it rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not
    >> switch the pc on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked
    >> fine. I decied to run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick
    >> up any viruses. So i decied to get spywear software Lavasoft
    >> AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This picked up a few problems and it seemed to
    >> work for a while but it still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted
    >> while i was doing virus scan.
    >>
    >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
    >>
    >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    >> -changed motherboard
    >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    >> -removed 1 stick of memory
    >> - Put memory stick in over slots
    >>
    >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
    >>
    >> please can you help
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> amar586
    >>

    > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    That's the first thing I thought of, too. Either the CPU fan isn't working
    or maybe the power supply fan isn't working. Another thought, it's summer;
    it's hot. Are you in an A/C environment?

    kili

    kilikini, May 29, 2007
  7. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 14:26, Ace Hung <> wrote:
    > treehugger wrote:
    > > amar586 wrote:

    > >> Hi

    > >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

    > >> P4 3GHZ Processor
    > >> 2GB Memory
    > >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    > >> Power Supply 400
    > >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

    > >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    > >> started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    > >> to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    > >> rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
    > >> on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
    > >> run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
    > >> decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
    > >> picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
    > >> still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
    > >> scan.

    > >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

    > >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    > >> -changed motherboard
    > >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    > >> -removed 1 stick of memory
    > >> - Put memory stick in over slots

    > >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

    > >> please can you help

    > >> thanks

    > >> amar586

    > > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    > Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
    > reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
    > the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?
    >
    > -Hung- Hide quoted text -

    Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
    back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
    rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
    the thermal paste was ok.

    amar586, May 29, 2007
  8. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 15:09, "kilikini" <> wrote:
    > treehugger wrote:
    > > amar586 wrote:
    > >> Hi

    > >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

    > >> P4 3GHZ Processor
    > >> 2GB Memory
    > >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
    > >> Power Supply 400
    > >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

    > >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then
    > >> it started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC
    > >> started to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was
    > >> ok then it rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not
    > >> switch the pc on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked
    > >> fine. I decied to run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick
    > >> up any viruses. So i decied to get spywear software Lavasoft
    > >> AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This picked up a few problems and it seemed to
    > >> work for a while but it still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted
    > >> while i was doing virus scan.

    > >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

    > >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
    > >> -changed motherboard
    > >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
    > >> -removed 1 stick of memory
    > >> - Put memory stick in over slots

    > >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

    > >> please can you help

    > >> thanks

    > >> amar586

    > > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    > That's the first thing I thought of, too. Either the CPU fan isn't working
    > or maybe the power supply fan isn't working. Another thought, it's summer;
    > it's hot. Are you in an A/C environment?
    >
    > kili- Hide quoted text -

    No to that question, its raining at the moment in the uk. the fan
    seems to be working, while i was writing the previouse message the pc
    rebooted so the pc gud reboot anytime lol.

    amar586, May 29, 2007
  9. amar586

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 07:10:12 -0700, amar586 wrote:

    > On 29 May, 14:26, Ace Hung <> wrote:
    >> treehugger wrote:

    >> > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

    >> Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
    >> reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
    >> the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?
    >>
    >> -Hung- Hide quoted text -

    > Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
    > back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
    > rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
    > the thermal paste was ok.

    Go into the settings and disable reboot on error. Maybe you'll get a blue
    screen with a clue. Also check your system event log.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, May 29, 2007
  10. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 15:22, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 May 2007 07:10:12 -0700, amar586 wrote:

    > >> Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
    > >> reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
    > >> the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?

    > >> -Hung- Hide quoted text -

    > > Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
    > > back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
    > > rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
    > > the thermal paste was ok.

    > Go into the settings and disable reboot on error. Maybe you'll get a blue
    > screen with a clue. Also check your system event log.
    >
    > --
    > #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    > #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    > #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    > #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    > #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    > COOSN-266-06-25794- Hide quoted text -

    when you mean go into setting is that the BIOS

    amar586, May 29, 2007
  11. amar586

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:41:21 -0700, amar586 wrote:

    > On 29 May, 15:22, Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >> > Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
    >> > back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
    >> > rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
    >> > the thermal paste was ok.

    >> Go into the settings and disable reboot on error. Maybe you'll get a blue
    >> screen with a clue. Also check your system event log.
    >>
    >> --
    >> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    >> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    >> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    >> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    >> #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >> COOSN-266-06-25794- Hide quoted text -

    > when you mean go into setting is that the BIOS

    No in XP. It's in the Control Panel then the panel that has the hardware
    and stuff then the advanced tab and startup and recovery. I'm on a linux
    box right now so I can walk you right to it.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, May 29, 2007
  12. amar586

    Ron Martell Guest

    amar586 <> wrote:

    Open Control Panel - System and click on the Settings button in the
    Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery
    window click on the checkbox for "Automatically restart" to clear it
    then click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

    If the reboots persist then you have a hardware issue, such as CPU
    overheating. If you get a Blue Screen Of Death STOP error message
    then the contents of the STOP message including the STOP code, all 4
    parameters, and any file or module names mentioned will be a direct
    clue as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 29, 2007
  13. On 29 May 2007 amar586 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
    > started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
    > to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
    > rebooted. it does this over-and over.

    I had one that did that. Turned out to be the power switch.

    --
    D?
    Yorkshire Pete

    Yorkshire Pete, May 29, 2007
  14. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 18:26, Ron Martell <> wrote:
    > amar586 <> wrote:
    >
    > Open Control Panel - System and click on the Settings button in the
    > Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery
    > window click on the checkbox for "Automatically restart" to clear it
    > then click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
    >
    > If the reboots persist then you have a hardware issue, such as CPU
    > overheating. If you get a Blue Screen Of Death STOP error message
    > then the contents of the STOP message including the STOP code, all 4
    > parameters, and any file or module names mentioned will be a direct
    > clue as to the underlying cause of the problem.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    > On-Line Help Computer Servicehttp://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
    >
    > "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    > has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Just out of intrest would the checkbox for "Automatically restart" all
    ready been ticked(default) when installing fresh copy of xp?

    thanks

    amar586

    amar586, May 30, 2007
  15. amar586

    Guest

    amar586 <> wrote:

    >Just out of intrest would the checkbox for "Automatically restart" all
    >ready been ticked(default) when installing fresh copy of xp?

    Yes.

    --
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1008940#post1008940

    , May 30, 2007
  16. amar586

    Plato Guest

    amar586 wrote:

    > Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

    Prolly hardware, viruses dont normally reboot machines, neither does
    spyware. may just be an incompatibility problems too. Or an overheating
    video card.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 31, 2007
  17. amar586

    amar586 Guest

    On 29 May, 18:26, Ron Martell <> wrote:
    > amar586 <> wrote:
    >
    > Open Control Panel - System and click on the Settings button in the
    > Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery
    > window click on the checkbox for "Automatically restart" to clear it
    > then click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
    >
    > If the reboots persist then you have a hardware issue, such as CPU
    > overheating. If you get a Blue Screen Of Death STOP error message
    > then the contents of the STOP message including the STOP code, all 4
    > parameters, and any file or module names mentioned will be a direct
    > clue as to the underlying cause of the problem.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    > On-Line Help Computer Servicehttp://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
    >
    > "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    > has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    i unchecked the "Automatically restart" and it seems to have worked,
    the PC hasn't re-started for 3 days.

    amar

    amar586, Jun 4, 2007