    problem it is, because it doesn't occur when the virus scan is running. so
    then again it could be a software problem.
    any ideas?

    miss.tyque, Oct 28, 2005

  2. "miss.tyque" <> wrote in
    news:TIe8f.7622$:

    > around a month ago, after several minutes of use, the computer either
    > reboots or it gets stuck. my brother found out that while we run the
    > virus scan or spyware scan, it works, but otherwise it reboots.
    > a friend recommended a use linux live to test if it was a hardware or
    > software problem. when using the program, which i believe just runs
    > off ram, the computer still kept rebooting .
    > so i fugure its a hardware problem, but i'm not too sure what kind of
    > problem it is, because it doesn't occur when the virus scan is
    > running. so then again it could be a software problem.
    > any ideas?

    What O/S are you talking about here? I don't know that a hardware problem
    is going to have the machine re-booting. It sounds like an infection your
    detection software my not be detecting.

    Duane :)

    Duane ArnoldWhat, Oct 28, 2005

  3. miss.tyque

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "miss.tyque" <> wrote in message
    > around a month ago, after several minutes of use, the computer either
    > reboots or it gets stuck. my brother found out that while we run the virus
    > scan or spyware scan, it works, but otherwise it reboots.
    > a friend recommended a use linux live to test if it was a hardware or
    > software problem. when using the program, which i believe just runs off
    > ram,
    > the computer still kept rebooting .
    > so i fugure its a hardware problem, but i'm not too sure what kind of
    > problem it is, because it doesn't occur when the virus scan is running. so
    > then again it could be a software problem.
    > any ideas?

    If this is Win XP, there's a way in which you can reconfigure so that it
    doesn't "automatically restart" but instead gives you a stop error message
    which could point to the cause of it.

    Mark Mandell, Oct 28, 2005
  4. miss.tyque

    miss.tyque Guest

    its running on windows ME.....

    miss.tyque, Oct 29, 2005
  5. miss.tyque

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "miss.tyque" <> wrote in

    > its running on windows ME.....

    That explains it all. You should get rid of the crash and boot prone
    Windows ME O/S is the bottom line. It's the worst of the Windows O/S(s) and
    should have never been released.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 29, 2005
  6. miss.tyque

    bmoag Guest

    Windoze computers of all ilk continually reboot for many possible reasons.
    The most common causes are corruption of the OS, video driver problems,
    memory module or motherboard memory system failure or a failing hard drive.
    The OS can be corrupted by a new program that was installed, a new driver, a
    virus or other malware etc.
    If you can boot into Safe Mode you may be able to either use system restore
    to go back to a more stable configuration (alas some problems wipe out all
    prior backups made by system restore) or manually eliminate the driver or
    program responsible.
    If you cannot boot into Safe Mode your OS is effectively hosed.
    If you can find some way to offload vital files from My Documents, or
    wherever,do so immediately because no matter how you install a new copy of
    Windows everything under My Documents will be lost.
    You should also back up whatever you can in case it is your hard drive that
    is dying.
    There is nothing wrong with Windows ME regardless of what people post. in
    these newsgroups and no reason to upgrade to XP unless you have programs or
    peripheral drivers that require XP. Functionally there is actually little
    difference between ME and XP although the technical differences are great.
    XP is just as easily corrupted as ME, just as brain dead when it comes to
    errant drivers and even more susceptible to malware than prior iterations of
    Wndows (because XP is the big target for people who want to trash other
    computers).

    bmoag, Oct 29, 2005
  7. miss.tyque

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in

    > Windoze computers of all ilk continually reboot for many possible
    > reasons. The most common causes are corruption of the OS, video driver
    > problems, memory module or motherboard memory system failure or a
    > failing hard drive. The OS can be corrupted by a new program that was
    > installed, a new driver, a virus or other malware etc.
    > If you can boot into Safe Mode you may be able to either use system
    > restore to go back to a more stable configuration (alas some problems
    > wipe out all prior backups made by system restore) or manually
    > eliminate the driver or program responsible.
    > If you cannot boot into Safe Mode your OS is effectively hosed.
    > If you can find some way to offload vital files from My Documents, or
    > wherever,do so immediately because no matter how you install a new
    > copy of Windows everything under My Documents will be lost.
    > You should also back up whatever you can in case it is your hard drive
    > that is dying.
    > There is nothing wrong with Windows ME regardless of what people post.
    > in these newsgroups and no reason to upgrade to XP unless you have
    > programs or peripheral drivers that require XP. Functionally there is
    > actually little difference between ME and XP although the technical
    > differences are great. XP is just as easily corrupted as ME, just as
    > brain dead when it comes to errant drivers and even more susceptible
    > to malware than prior iterations of Wndows (because XP is the big
    > target for people who want to trash other computers).

    You don't have a *clue* as to what you're talking about when it comes to
    that crash prone piece of junk called Windows ME which is just as
    outdated as the Windows 9'x O/S'(s), which are crash prone too. I have
    programmed in the Windows DOS 622/Windows 3.1, Windows 9'x/ME and Windows
    NT 3.5, 4.0, Win 2k, XP Pro, and Win 2K3 based platform environments.

    I don't see no Windows 9'x or ME servers and the NT based O/S can be made
    secure if one knows how to secure them. <g>

    The ME O/S is the worst of all of them about as bad as Windows 3.1 and
    DOS 622 when it comes to crashes and re-boots.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 29, 2005
  8. miss.tyque

    Fakename Guest

    I agree what WinME sucks, but that doesn't explain why this this comp is
    rebooting.

    Fakename, Oct 29, 2005
  9. miss.tyque

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Fakename <> wrote in

    > I agree what WinME sucks, but that doesn't explain why this this comp
    > is rebooting.

    When I had to write programs that ran on the piece of junk O/S that ran
    on the same processing thread as the O/S that crashed and burned the O/S
    when it aborted and other programs when they aborted and when I was
    running ME on my laptop that was wireless and watched ME crash, burn and
    re-boot itself because the wireless driver that was 16 bit that ran on
    the thread with the O/S and crashed and took the O/S with it, which
    happened on a routine basis, I went to NT based on the laptop and
    companies I worked for went NT based and never looked back at crash and
    burn Win 9'x or ME.

    The OP should do his or herslf a favor and dump ME.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 29, 2005