    He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
    later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
    there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies
    Dimble Dumble, May 21, 2005

  2. Dimble Dumble

    CG-P Guest

    This sounds like my problem - see below !!

    Chris

    CG-P, May 21, 2005

  3. Dimble Dumble

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Apart from usual try safe mode.
    Control Panel/System/advanced/Start up & Recovery...untick reboot
    Perhaps you might now get an err msg

    MrGrumpy, May 21, 2005
  4. Cheers MRGrumpty, forgot to say in the last one, the machine won't go go
    safe mode either

    Dimble Dumble, May 21, 2005
  5. Dimble Dumble

    Elco Guest

    "Dimble Dumble" schreef ...
    > Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
    > and dumped the problem on me.
    >
    > I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
    > proc.
    >
    > His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
    > CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
    > fitted it
    >
    > Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
    > the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
    >
    > It does this over and over again.
    >
    > He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
    > later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
    > there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

    Run chkdsk /r from recovery after starting from the CD...

    --
    grtz......Elco
    Elco, May 21, 2005
  6. Dimble Dumble

    Smoker~ Guest

    > Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
    > and dumped the problem on me.
    >
    > I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
    > proc.
    >
    > His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
    > CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
    > fitted it
    >
    > Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
    > the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
    >
    > It does this over and over again.
    >
    > He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
    > later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
    > there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

    If the fan is connected to the mobo try using the power supply instead. See
    if the system works okay with the fan not connected.
    Smoker~, May 21, 2005
  7. Dimble Dumble wrote:

    > Cheers MRGrumpty, forgot to say in the last one, the machine won't go go
    > safe mode either

    Time to boot from a "live-cd" or download some memtest86 bootimage from
    bootdisks.com and try with that. Can he get into "recovery console" from
    booting off a winxp/2k install cd?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, May 21, 2005
  8. Smoker~ wrote:

    > "Dimble Dumble" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
    >> and dumped the problem on me.

    >> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
    >> proc.

    >> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
    >> CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
    >> fitted it

    >> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
    >> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.

    >> It does this over and over again.

    >> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
    >> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
    >> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

    > If the fan is connected to the mobo try using the power supply instead. See
    > if the system works okay with the fan not connected.

    I hope he's not talking about the CPU fan (as I read him to be) and
    tries to run without it being connected.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 22, 2005
  9. No, fan is connected.

    Anyway further update:

    Ran numerous test couldn't get it to boot.

    Used Norton recovery tools to get into system (it booted and stayed up) to
    migrate files to external HDD.

    Reinstalled w2k ran ok, stayed up all through re-installation of office and
    patching.and all other stuff he uses.

    Now whether we never had it up long enough for it to reboot or not that it
    didn't present it'self, but after installing Norton security suite again,
    after about 15 mins or so it reboots it'self. (I had shot out the door
    before this happened)

    Mate says that it had just done an update somewhere around Thurs / Fri.

    Maybe just a coincidence but have told him to go home tonight and uninstall
    Norton and see if it runs ok, otherwise I think he is going to use it as an
    excuse to the wife to upgrade to an AMD 64 etc
    Dimble Dumble, May 23, 2005