    whole house was coated in dust. What is the best cause of action to
    clean the computer/fix the overheating?!

    , Jun 18, 2006

  2. samuel Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > I fear that my PC is over heating although it has had the same
    > setup for a year or more now. Everytime i boot up the pc works
    > for a few minutes before rebooting. I have installed some
    > Sisoft software which indicates my cpu is running at 123c which
    > seems very high (not sure how accurate the software is?!). What
    > could be causing the high temp? I have done some decorating
    > recently floor sanding(few months back), which I think may be
    > the cause?! The pc was not in the room but the whole house was
    > coated in dust. What is the best cause of action to clean the
    > computer/fix the overheating?!

    start with unplug
    open case
    look inside

    samuel, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-18, samuel <> wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> I fear that my PC is over heating although it has had the same
    >> setup for a year or more now. Everytime i boot up the pc works
    >> for a few minutes before rebooting. I have installed some
    >> Sisoft software which indicates my cpu is running at 123c which
    >> seems very high (not sure how accurate the software is?!). What
    >> could be causing the high temp? I have done some decorating
    >> recently floor sanding(few months back), which I think may be
    >> the cause?! The pc was not in the room but the whole house was
    >> coated in dust. What is the best cause of action to clean the
    >> computer/fix the overheating?!

    > start with unplug
    > open case
    > look inside

    The best way to get rid of dust inside a computer, is to use a can of
    compressed air, as sold in computer shops for the purpose. Expect a /lot/
    of dust. Make sure that you clear out all the slots and crevices in
    'heat sinks' and all the fans, as well as blowing through the power-supply
    unit from the inside of the machine.

    Do not use a vacuum cleaner on the inside of the computer!

    Cooling fans do wear out; they are usually cheap but fiddly to replace.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Barry OGrady Guest

    On 18 Jun 2006 07:54:19 -0700, wrote:

    >I fear that my PC is over heating although it has had the same setup
    >for a year or more now. Everytime I boot up the pc works for a few
    >minutes before rebooting. I have installed some Sisoft software which
    >indicates my cpu is running at 123c which seems very high (not sure how
    >accurate the software is?!).

    That is very high.

    >What could be causing the high temp?

    Very likely the CPU fan has stopped working, or there may be dust in the
    heatsink, or the heatsink may not be making good thermal contact with
    the CPU.

    >I have done some decorating recently floor sanding(few months back),
    >which I think may be the cause?! The pc was not in the room but the
    >whole house was coated in dust. What is the best cause of action to
    >clean the computer/fix the overheating?!

    My guess is most likely the fan.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Mmmm, Not sure now - looking at the bios details and also another via
    Mother Board monitor 5 (app) the temp reads for the cpu 44 celcius
    (around 50 when the case is closed, case 38) which seems ok. Not sure
    why the pc keeps rebooting, it seems to be lasting longer now (i
    installed an old casing fan for some extra cooling). Not sure what
    sisoft was doing??!?!?!?!

    The computer is fairly dusty, esp the heat sinks so will try the air
    cleaning (can't unscrew the fan from the cpu as screws have been put in
    too tight))!

    Is there anything else that might cause the pc to reboot?!

  6. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > I fear that my PC is over heating although it has had the
    > same setup for a year or more now. Everytime i boot up the
    > pc works for a few minutes before rebooting. I have
    > installed some Sisoft software which indicates my cpu is
    > running at 123c which seems very high (not sure how
    > accurate the software is?!). What could be causing the
    > high temp? I have done some decorating recently floor
    > sanding(few months back), which I think may be the cause?!
    > The pc was not in the room but the whole house was coated
    > in dust. What is the best cause of action to clean the
    > computer/fix the overheating?!

    123 C is extremely high. It's a miracle it hasn't melted.

    It is possible that the fan(s) just died, but the fact you had
    extensive work done on your house and did not protect your
    computer (and other things) was VERY careless. Did you know that
    particles if CIGARETTE SMOKE can **** up your hard drive, your
    video equipment, etc?

    Anyway, rent or borrow an air compressor, or buy a few cans of
    compressed air (Costco sells 3- or 4-packs for less than 1 or 2
    cans cost at other places).

    Unplug all the cables, and take EVERYTHING (scanner, monitor
    etc. as well) outside.

    Take some antistatic precautions, and remove the covers. (Except
    the scanner, if you have one. They are usually sealed pretty
    tight. It is debatable whether you should remove the monitor or
    printer case, depending on your expertise. But those items are
    probably full of dust etc. too. As is your mouse and keyboard
    and everything else.

    Remove the worst of the dust with a slightly-damp top-of-the-
    line paper towel (thick and non-fraying) or a special cloth,
    GENTLY. Be careful not to get anything WET. If you do, blow the
    moisture away.

    Then blow the hell out of everything else, from all directions,
    into all holes in the structure. But gently. (I know is sounds a
    little contradictory.)

    While the thing is open, plug it in and turn it on and see if
    all the fans are working. If one has died, it's fairly simple
    and cheap to get a replacement.

    Next time, take some precautions.

    Good luck.

    thanatoid, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97E69B39DB9E2thanexit@66.250.146.158,
    thanatoid spewed forth:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> I fear that my PC is over heating although it has had the
    >> same setup for a year or more now. Everytime i boot up the
    >> pc works for a few minutes before rebooting. I have
    >> installed some Sisoft software which indicates my cpu is
    >> running at 123c which seems very high (not sure how
    >> accurate the software is?!). What could be causing the
    >> high temp? I have done some decorating recently floor
    >> sanding(few months back), which I think may be the cause?!
    >> The pc was not in the room but the whole house was coated
    >> in dust. What is the best cause of action to clean the
    >> computer/fix the overheating?!
    >>

    > 123 C is extremely high. It's a miracle it hasn't melted.

    Maybe he thought it was a pizza oven?

    --
    I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
    alphabetical order, just like it should be.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006