    "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
    whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.

    any ideas please???

    AUNTY.RE, Nov 14, 2003

  2. AUNTY.RE

    AUNTY.RE Guest

    sorry, dont know if it matters, im running windows 98 SE
    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

    randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if

    there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

    "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

    are,

    AUNTY.RE, Nov 14, 2003

  3. AUNTY.RE

    Wellygoggles Guest

    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

    randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if

    there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

    "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

    are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

    log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    This might help http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    but the techos (I'm not one) on here will probably give you the correct
    solution. Good luck

    Wellygoggles, Nov 14, 2003
  4. AUNTY.RE

    Ferg Guest

    Check that your fans are going. Just open up the case and make sure things
    are twirling. Esp your CPU fan. Sometimes they get clogged up and the cpu
    shuts down to avoid damage from overheating.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Nov 14, 2003
  5. AUNTY.RE

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

    randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if

    there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

    "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

    are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

    log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    Could be one of a number of things. At least possibly a bad program or
    driver. At worse a hardware fault such as the RAM. If you've got bugger
    all RAM to start with, you might only need a good RAM manager like RAMPage
    to make a difference.
    If it hasn't just happened after any software changes etc, then suspect the
    hardware.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 14, 2003
  6. AUNTY.RE

    rob Guest

    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

    randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if

    there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

    "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

    are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

    log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    Hi Aunty, don't take it the wrong way, but are your nav virus signatures up
    to date, have you recently updated Adaware?

    This site has a list of most items you'll find in your tasklist:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.php
    Uninstall/disable everything but the essentials and see if that helps.
    Here's a KB article that might help too.

    hope that helps
    rgd
    rob

    rob, Nov 14, 2003
  7. AUNTY.RE

    AUNTY.RE Guest

    Hi Rob, thanks and no offence taken, I have all the latest updates for
    antivirus, and just down loaded ad aware a few days ago, so yes all is well
    as far as those go.....thanks for the idea though.

    AUNTY.RE, Nov 14, 2003
  8. AUNTY.RE

    AUNTY.RE Guest

    Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear and
    ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?) the
    problem started a wee while agao because I was running out of memory, I have
    512k so dont think that was really the problem, someone suggested to get a
    program to "flush memory" (?????) so i tried these 2 without much luck, so I
    dont think its a memory problem either, one suggestion was that "win 98se"
    is the problem and i should upgrade to win XP, no guesses who that one came
    from...... HAHA.... thanks for the idea though.

    AUNTY.RE, Nov 14, 2003
  9. AUNTY.RE

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:49:07 +1300, "AUNTY.RE" <>
    wrote:

    >please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
    >dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if there
    >is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    >time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    >what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    >1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    >2. adaware all OK
    >3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
    >use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
    >but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    >combinations :-(
    >
    >I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    >playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    >"totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
    >whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    >any ideas please???

    First thing to try is removing all the programs that run at start up,
    none are required for Windows to work & they're the most common cause
    of crashes if it's not a hardware fault.

    Start - run - msconfig

    You'll find tabs at the top, click on the one that says 'startup' &
    you'll find a list of the programs that run when Windows starts. For
    the purpose of troubleshooting the fault uncheck *every* ticked box,
    keeping notes of which ones you disable.

    Reboot & see where it gets you. Keep in mind that also disables your
    anti-virus so try it only long enough to see if it fixes the problem.
    If it stops crashing then enable them a few at time by ticking the
    boxes & when it starts crashing again you've found the culprit - leave
    it disabled.

    Other startup programs are in the Start - Programs - Startup folder,
    also pays to move them to a new folder while troubleshooting the
    problem... can always move them back later.

    It it still crashes then you may have a hardware fault, although not
    definitely. Post a bit more info on the crashes... error messages etc.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Nov 14, 2003
  10. AUNTY.RE

    Ron McNulty Guest

    25 programs running is an awful lot. My machine shows about 9, and 3 are not
    strictly necessary (toolbar and HP scanner utilities).

    Someone else has suggested using msconfig - sounds like a good idea.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 14, 2003
  11. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:30:50 +1300, AUNTY.RE wrote:

    > Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear and
    > ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?)

    Ugh.

    Ram is cheap. Ram packing programs tend to destabilise machines. Remove
    'em. If you're still squeezed, buy more memory.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 15, 2003
  12. AUNTY.RE

    GraB Guest

    If you have Norton Utilities try running WinDoctor. This could find
    heaps of faults. I advise that you do not let it fix faults
    automatically. Select Manual mode and choose the fixes yourself.
    Then run Optimization Wizard which will sort your registry and compact
    it as well. I have found that doing this can help with stability
    problems. Registries can get bloated and internally fragmented. It
    could require a reinstall to fix up registry errors. Some recommend
    reinstalling Windows once a year, some even every six months. Though
    with experience you can keep an installation going longer. My present
    installation was made on another mobo a few years ago, transferred to
    the new mobo and has become my longest lasting installation (Win98SE).

    Another thing to consider is using scanreg to go back to an earlier
    backup of the registry, before you started to have problems, if you
    have those backups. I run scanreg manually periodically, if
    everything is running fine, to back up a good registry.

    GraB, Nov 15, 2003
  13. AUNTY.RE wrote:
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    sometimes an underpowered power supply (psu) can do this. Happened to me
    and a new better quality one fixed it (got an enermax 350watt).

    Also try what someone else mentioned with memtest86 and/or try taking
    out your ram and sticking it back in again.. could be sitting funny in
    the slot

    Robert Bradshaw, Nov 15, 2003
  14. AUNTY.RE

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:30:50 +1300, AUNTY.RE wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear

    and
    > > ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?)

    > Ugh.
    >
    > Ram is cheap. Ram packing programs tend to destabilise machines. Remove
    > 'em. If you're still squeezed, buy more memory.

    Good ones do make a difference on low RAM PCs. It helped a lousy HP PC PIII
    500 with only 64 MB RAM W98SE and the bugger has shared video memory
    display - no decent graphics card.

    You can believe what you want to, that doesn't change the fact that they can
    make a difference.

    In this case, since the PC has 512MB RAM it would be pointless and probably
    wouldn't be much benefit at all.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  15. AUNTY.RE

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear and
    > ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?)

    the
    > problem started a wee while agao because I was running out of memory, I

    have
    > 512k so dont think that was really the problem, someone suggested to get a
    > program to "flush memory" (?????) so i tried these 2 without much luck, so

    > dont think its a memory problem either, one suggestion was that "win 98se"
    > is the problem and i should upgrade to win XP, no guesses who that one

    came
    > from...... HAHA.... thanks for the idea though.

    You've got more than enough RAM then, just as long as the RAM isn't giving
    trouble.

    Forget the idiot's suggestion to change to XP. XP is good, it's been quite
    reliable on this PC. Win 98 SE is works well enough as you know from your
    own previous experience wirth it. If no recent drivers have been changed or
    anything else, until it's looked at by a tech that knows what they've doing
    there could be a number of guesses. No point in buying hardware or software
    including XP (LOL) until the cause of the problem has been properly
    diagnosed.

    A scanner or anything hasn't been added just before the problem started? I
    had to reinstall a scanner driver on a PC to fix problems it started having.

    Good luck in getting it sorted out soon.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  16. AUNTY.RE

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "AUNTY.RE" <> wrote in message
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

    randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if

    there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

    "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

    are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

    log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    I had a problem with my Win98SE computer that ended up being an updated
    video driver that was causing my computer to reboot for no apparant reason.
    I was updating from IBM's website, and the company for the driver had gone
    out of business, and the last driver version was buggy. After
    reinstalling/reformatting and staying with the original driver, I never had
    the problem again. Maybe your crashes are caused by something like an
    updated driver, or software conflicting?

    Eagle Eye, Nov 15, 2003
  17. AUNTY.RE

    Nelly Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear and
    >ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?) the
    >problem started a wee while agao because I was running out of memory, I have
    >512k so dont think that was really the problem, someone suggested to get a
    >program to "flush memory" (?????) so i tried these 2 without much luck, so I
    >dont think its a memory problem either, one suggestion was that "win 98se"
    >is the problem and i should upgrade to win XP, no guesses who that one came
    >from...... HAHA.... thanks for the idea though.

    I could agree with that actually. I have the desktop running 98se 512
    RAM and crashes all the time. I also have the laptop running XP home
    512 RAM running the same software as the desktop and it runs really
    well, never crashes. It has always done this and I have had the RAM
    changed and upgraded and now swear blind that very soon I will be
    upgrading to XP Home.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, Nov 15, 2003
  18. AUNTY.RE wrote:
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    At convenient time leave your computer running in Safe-Mode, and if it
    still crashes then it is bound to be a hardware problem like faultly
    memory or components getting too hot. To test the memory use MemTest86

    http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 15, 2003
  19. AUNTY.RE

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bp4f5k$jat$>,
    says...

    > "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:30:50 +1300, AUNTY.RE wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear

    > and
    > > > ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?)

    > > Ugh.
    > >
    > > Ram is cheap. Ram packing programs tend to destabilise machines. Remove
    > > 'em. If you're still squeezed, buy more memory.

    > Good ones do make a difference on low RAM PCs. It helped a lousy HP PC PIII
    > 500 with only 64 MB RAM W98SE and the bugger has shared video memory
    > display - no decent graphics card.
    >
    > You can believe what you want to, that doesn't change the fact that they can
    > make a difference.
    >
    > In this case, since the PC has 512MB RAM it would be pointless and probably
    > wouldn't be much benefit at all.

    It would make sense - if you knew what you were talking about.

    *Why* would you want to dump programs out of memory. Isn't that the
    fastest way to access them? Leave it to the OS.

    Short of it.. if memory's not being used - it's not being used, and
    being wasted instead.

    Free memory is a false mindset of those that don't know any better -
    sounds good - IT ISN'T.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Nov 16, 2003
  20. AUNTY.RE

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    AUNTY.RE wrote:
    > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
    > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... :-( but was wondering if there
    > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
    > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
    > what i have done before anyone asks.... ;-)
    > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
    > 2. adaware all OK
    > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
    > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
    > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
    > combinations :-(
    >
    > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
    > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
    > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
    > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
    >
    > any ideas please???

    Filemon will log file system activity.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml
    The suggestions in other replies are good. Do a virus check with an up
    to date signature file. Make sure that your operating system has the
    current patches, especially win2k or winXP. Run Spybot Search and
    Destroy to remove spyware. Shut down Microsoft Messenger. It could be a
    driver problem, faulty memory, flakey power supply, or a motherboard
    problem.
    If the machine is a few years old, it could be a simple contact
    problem. Shut down completely and unplug and reinstall all of the plug
    in boards, memory modules and connectors. Check that all of the cooling
    fans are working as the system will shut down if the fans stop.

    Roger_Nickel, Nov 16, 2003