    Thanks
    Mike
    , Feb 25, 2006

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    > every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    > Physical memory is 129024
    > Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.

    If you are using XP...then you should get more memory, yes.

    You should add at least another 128megs...
    or even 512megs
    philo, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    > every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    > Physical memory is 129024
    > Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    not nearly enough memory to run XP plus applications happily. You
    ideally need two to four times what you currently have.

    Crucial is your friend

    www.crucial.com

    best site I've come across for helping people buy new memory for their
    systems. Not always the cheapest but it's good kit and generally
    competitive.

    FR
    Flying Rat, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Shep© Guest

    On 25 Feb 2006 06:38:52 -0800 There are so many copies and so few
    originals sent this :

    >I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    >every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    >Physical memory is 129024
    >Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    >Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    >a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike

    Buying more memory is a good option in XP but there's lots you can do
    to help the system.Most people install software that needlessly runs
    on bootup only to advertize itself and slow down the system,

    Click here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html

    Also emptying all your temp caches and cleaning and compacting the
    registry on a regular basis will keep things smoother and faster,

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Feb 25, 2006
  5. SJP Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    > every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    > Physical memory is 129024
    > Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Get more memory from
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...d=AM&model=Dimension 2400 Series&submit=GoAnd also use ccleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/
    SJP, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:44:24 +0000 (UTC) There are so many copies and
    so few originals "SJP" <> sent this :

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    >> every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >>
    >> Physical memory is 129024
    >> Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >>
    >> Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    >> a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mike
    >>

    >Get more memory from
    > http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...d=AM&model=Dimension 2400 Series&submit=GoAnd also use ccleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Get shorter URLs from,

    http://shurl.net/

    Heh.heh :D

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Feb 25, 2006
  7. Bud Stein Guest

    wrote:
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.

    Mike,

    I would also recommend upgrading to at least 512 mb of RAM. There may
    many unnecessary background processes running on start up.

    See:

    http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

    and

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    Bud Stein
    Bud Stein, Feb 25, 2006
  8. fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in news:1140878332.922044.246030
    @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    > every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    > Physical memory is 129024
    > Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.

    Try adjusting your virtual memory.
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    suggests 384 MB for initial size and about 768 MB for the maximum.

    If you have a second disk drive you would get better performance if you
    put the pagefile on the second drive.(not on a second partition on the
    same drive).

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Feb 25, 2006
  9. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I am using DELL Dimension 2400. Sometimes it is slow. I run Ad-Aware
    > every other day and defragmented weekly.
    >
    > Physical memory is 129024
    > Free space is 27.97 GB, 75% free space.
    >
    > Should I buy more memory chips (from where?) to increase memory? I get
    > a slow virtual memory warning every week or then.

    Yeah, it's nice to have at least 512 for XP.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 1, 2006
  10. Plato Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > >Physical memory is 129024

    > Buying more memory is a good option in XP but there's lots you can do
    > to help the system.Most people install software that needlessly runs
    > on bootup only to advertize itself and slow down the system,

    True, but with only 128megs ram he's swapping even before the boot
    process is done, and will continue to do so even if all 24/7s were
    disabled.
    Plato, Mar 1, 2006