    AMD-K6 400Mhz processor
    128MB RAM (not sure what type. I think it's SD)
    Running Windows 2000 SP4
    Mr.SlippyFist, Dec 17, 2003

  2. To rule out heat, take the cover off and blow a regular house fan
    toward the innards. Also, if the computer is full of dust bunnies,
    these would need to be cleaned and make sure all of the fans are
    clean and dust free. You can use cans of air.

    "Mr.SlippyFist" <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news:vw2Eb.98682$bC.65635@clgrps13:

    --
    @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Mr.SlippyFist

    Unknown Guest

    Go to control panel---system---advanced and turn off reboot on error. Then
    when the error occurs you can investigate it. When and if the error occurs
    look in the event viewer for a clue.

    Unknown, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Mr.SlippyFist

    Bea Con Guest

    I doubt it's overheating.
    firstly, if it's going to overheat then there's no effective
    cooling. It'll overheat very quickly, like before it's
    finished booting to the os.
    Secondly, an overheating processor doesn't make a pc reboot.
    It 'freezes' (because it's not functional anymore) & takes a
    little while before it becomes operational again because it
    needs time to cool down to within operational limits.

    Bea Con, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Mr.SlippyFist

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bea Con said:

    > I doubt it's overheating.

    Sorry, but the moment I see AMD the *first* thing I think of is a heat problem.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Mr.SlippyFist

    Bea Con Guest

    Are you implying that he needs a 3 kg hammer or will a 1.5
    kg one do?

    "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote
    in message
    > Bea Con said:
    >
    > > I doubt it's overheating.

    > Sorry, but the moment I see AMD the *first* thing I think

    of is a heat problem.

    > > firstly, if it's going to overheat then there's no

    effective
    > > cooling. It'll overheat very quickly, like before it's
    > > finished booting to the os.
    > > Secondly, an overheating processor doesn't make a pc

    reboot.
    > > It 'freezes' (because it's not functional anymore) &

    takes a
    > > little while before it becomes operational again because

    it
    > > needs time to cool down to within operational limits.
    > >
    > > "Mr.SlippyFist" <> wrote in

    message

    Bea Con, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Mr.SlippyFist

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bea Con said:

    > Are you implying that he needs a 3 kg hammer or will a 1.5
    > kg one do?

    Yes.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Already cleaned all the fans.

    Mr.SlippyFist, Dec 18, 2003
  9. Mr.SlippyFist

    Max Guest

    Have you looked at the event logs? often very good information in there.

    Max

    Max, Dec 18, 2003
  10. sounds like you have the blaster worm

    robert andrews, Dec 19, 2003
  11. Mr.SlippyFist

    Dumpster Guest

    "Mr.SlippyFist" <> wrote in message
    | My mother's computer is restarting for some unknown reason. I have
    done a
    | virus scan, spyware scan, checked to see that the CPU and Power supply
    fans
    | are both working and in the right way. I have concluded that the CPU
    must be
    | overheating. But after checking these things, what could still be
    causing
    | this?
    |
    | AMD-K6 400Mhz processor
    | 128MB RAM (not sure what type. I think it's SD)
    | Running Windows 2000 SP4

    How is its resources? Has it been Defragged, Temp files cleaned out,
    Etc. A friend of mine had a lap top that just plain ran out of resources
    due to lack of maintenance and started doing all kinds of crazy things.

    Jarhead
    Dumpster, Dec 19, 2003
  12. Mr.SlippyFist

    Brian H¹© Guest

    robert andrews said:

    > sounds like you have the blaster worm

    Sounds like you don't really know what you are talking about.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 19, 2003
  13. .....and you took off the cover? ....and the fan residing on the heatsink
    which resides on the CPU is operational? If you have tried all of this and
    it still reboots randomly, check your RAM. The stick/s could be going bad.
    My mom had that problem also. It was heat and I installed the program,
    Rain2.0, but it is only for Win98. Other than that, I don't
    know.....sorry....;o(

    "Mr.SlippyFist" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:Z%oEb.21371$Lu1.1929@edtnps84:

    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 19, 2003
  14. are you getting a warning box that says the remote procedure call will
    terminate in 1 minuit?

    robert andrews, Dec 19, 2003
  15. This could mean that your powersupply is bad, not just the fan. It could
    also signal that there is a problem with the motherboard. But, I have only
    seen this happen when the motherboard is physically damaged. I would put my
    money on the powersupply.

    Always Online, DSL, Dec 19, 2003
  16. Mr.SlippyFist

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:09:29 GMT, "Always Online, DSL" <> wrote:

    >done

    >supply

    By default Windows 2000 is set to reboot instead of blue screening. Find where
    that is set and turn it off. You should then get a screen with some info instead of
    a reboot.

    >> > @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

    -Barry
    ========