    browser cache, and deleted my cookies. but the problem persists!

    Anyone have any ideas for what I should try next?

    Thanks!

    Lunaray, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Lunaray

    miki Guest

    Try Start>Accessories>System Information. There is a Repair
    function there for IE. If that doesn't work, put the PC into
    Safe Mode and run Scan Disk in Repair Mode on the whole disk.
    It was worthwhile for me. k35454.

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    All of a sudden my PC is acting weird!

    Some of the text in IE7 looks kind of smeary (not sharp), but only 'some' of
    the text! My mouse is acting funny too, sometimes when I click on
    something, my single-click is interepreted as a double click, i.e. I have IE
    in my quick-launch bar and sometimes when I click on it once, it opens up
    two IE screens instead of just one. Sometimes when I delete an email in OE,
    it deletes more than the one I have selected.

    Don't know if my problems are related, but they seem to have started about
    the same time. I have lots of RAM (2 gig), I just ran a virus scan and came
    up clean (Norton Antivirus), ran Adaware, optimized my C-drive, cleaned my

    miki, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Lunaray

    Neil Green Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden my PC is acting weird!
    >
    > Some of the text in IE7 looks kind of smeary (not
    > sharp), but only 'some' of the text! My mouse is
    > acting funny too, sometimes when I click on
    > something, my single-click is interepreted as a
    > double click, i.e. I have IE in my quick-launch bar
    > and sometimes when I click on it once, it opens up
    > two IE screens instead of just one. Sometimes when
    > I delete an email in OE, it deletes more than the
    > one I have selected.
    >
    > Don't know if my problems are related, but they seem
    > to have started about the same time. I have lots of
    > RAM (2 gig), I just ran a virus scan and came up
    > clean (Norton Antivirus), ran Adaware, optimized my
    > C-drive, cleaned my browser cache, and deleted my
    > cookies. but the problem persists!
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas for what I should try next?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Could be bad RAM.

    Neil Green, Mar 20, 2007
  4. "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden my PC is acting weird!
    >
    > Some of the text in IE7 looks kind of smeary (not sharp), but only 'some'
    > of the text! My mouse is acting funny too, sometimes when I click on
    > something, my single-click is interepreted as a double click, i.e. I have
    > IE in my quick-launch bar and sometimes when I click on it once, it opens
    > up two IE screens instead of just one. Sometimes when I delete an email
    > in OE, it deletes more than the one I have selected.
    >
    > Don't know if my problems are related, but they seem to have started about
    > the same time. I have lots of RAM (2 gig), I just ran a virus scan and
    > came up clean (Norton Antivirus), ran Adaware, optimized my C-drive,
    > cleaned my browser cache, and deleted my cookies. but the problem
    > persists!
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas for what I should try next?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Open an Explorer window, go to Tools then Folder Options and change your
    single-clicks back to double-clicks.

    Senior's Guide to Computers
    http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    Seniors Guide to Computers, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    > Open an Explorer window, go to Tools then Folder Options and change your
    > single-clicks back to double-clicks.
    >
    > Senior's Guide to Computers
    > http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    Thanks but it is set to double-clicks, this only happens some of the time!

    Lunaray, Mar 20, 2007
  6. On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:52:10 -0700, Lunaray wrote:

    > All of a sudden my PC is acting weird!
    >
    > Some of the text in IE7 looks kind of smeary (not sharp), but only
    > 'some' of the text!

    This could be from web pages that use images instead of text to show
    textual items. Can you copy and paste the irregular looking item as text?

    > My mouse is acting funny too, sometimes when I click on something, my
    > single-click is interepreted as a double click, i.e. I have IE in my
    > quick-launch bar and sometimes when I click on it once, it opens up two
    > IE screens instead of just one. Sometimes when I delete an email in OE,
    > it deletes more than the one I have selected.
    >
    > Don't know if my problems are related, but they seem to have started
    > about the same time. I have lots of RAM (2 gig), I just ran a virus
    > scan and came up clean (Norton Antivirus), ran Adaware, optimized my
    > C-drive, cleaned my browser cache, and deleted my cookies. but the
    > problem persists!

    Many times when a mouse begins to act up, it is a hardware thing.
    First, I would recommend checking your settings for double-click speed.
    Reduce it a little bit and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't,
    and if you have the time, I would recommend cleaning the mouse--the
    buttons and the general casing. Most mice can be easily disassembled, and
    the outer shell of it can be put into the top rack of your dishwasher (in
    many cases), which will clean any grease, gunk, dust, etc., out. You can
    also wash it by hand, but I would recommend it soaking in hot water, first.

    Usually, responsiveness will rebound after a simple cleaning. If that
    doesn't help, though, then it could be something else in software.

    -- Mike

    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 22, 2007
  7. On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:16:05 +1100, Neil Green wrote:

    > Could be bad RAM.

    Bad RAM tends to manifest itself in a much more irregular and problematic
    fashion. Memory-intensive applications will crash with some regularity,
    if you can get them to use all of the memory up.

    Unless the system starts to BSOD or panic, bad RAM wouldn't be at the top
    of my list. It sounds like a much simpler and easier to fix problem.
    However, it is a good idea to run a RAM tester periodically. I run one on
    my systems overnight, once every three to six months, as a preventative
    maintenance measure.

    -- Mike

    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 22, 2007
  8. Lunaray

    Neil Green Guest

    "Michael B. Trausch" <>
    wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:16:05 +1100, Neil Green
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Could be bad RAM.
    >>

    > Bad RAM tends to manifest itself in a much more
    > irregular and problematic
    > fashion. Memory-intensive applications will crash
    > with some regularity,
    > if you can get them to use all of the memory up.
    >
    > Unless the system starts to BSOD or panic, bad RAM
    > wouldn't be at the top
    > of my list. It sounds like a much simpler and
    > easier to fix problem.
    > However, it is a good idea to run a RAM tester
    > periodically. I run one on
    > my systems overnight, once every three to six
    > months, as a preventative
    > maintenance measure.
    >
    > -- Mike

    Bad RAM can manifest itself in a variety of ways.
    I recently saw a machine that would periodically crash
    (Once a week or so) with a USB driver error,
    occasionally hang when ripping CD's and the monitor
    would go black for a second or so every few hours.
    Other than that all programs ran perfectly.
    After quite a bit of hand wringing it was traced to a
    faulty 512Mb stick of DDR RAM.
    Replaced under warranty and the machine is running
    flawlessly.

    Neil Green, Mar 23, 2007
  9. On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:40:39 +1100, Neil Green wrote:

    > Bad RAM can manifest itself in a variety of ways.
    > I recently saw a machine that would periodically crash
    > (Once a week or so) with a USB driver error,
    > occasionally hang when ripping CD's and the monitor
    > would go black for a second or so every few hours.
    > Other than that all programs ran perfectly.
    > After quite a bit of hand wringing it was traced to a
    > faulty 512Mb stick of DDR RAM.
    > Replaced under warranty and the machine is running
    > flawlessly.

    Given that type of situation, memory would be the first thing that I would
    suggest. But the OP seemed to have problems that wouldn't likely be RAM
    related. Granted, anything is possible...

    -- Mike

    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 24, 2007