Computer insurance? Computer game and book collection insurance?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Hi, two questions:

    A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
    a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would also
    replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that plans
    covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
    wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I was
    a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.

    B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan that
    would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and they
    said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
    coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original price,
    minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
    totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their original
    price.

    So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Alan Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, two questions:
    >
    > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
    > for
    > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
    > also
    > replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
    > plans
    > covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
    > wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
    > was
    > a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
    >
    > B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
    > that
    > would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
    > they
    > said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
    > coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
    > price,
    > minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
    > totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
    > original
    > price.
    >
    > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
    > things?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    Hi Jamie,

    On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
    to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
    practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
    specific as possible).

    List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
    a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
    going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
    they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
    for you.

    Do post back with an outcome!

    HTH,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    shane Guest

    Alan did scribble:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, two questions:
    >>
    >> A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
    >> for
    >> a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
    >> also
    >> replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
    >> plans
    >> covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
    >> wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
    >> was
    >> a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
    >>
    >> B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
    >> that
    >> would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
    >> they
    >> said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
    >> coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
    >> price,
    >> minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
    >> totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
    >> original
    >> price.
    >>
    >> So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
    >> things?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet
    >> --
    >> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    > Hi Jamie,
    >
    > On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
    > to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
    > practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
    > specific as possible).
    >
    > List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
    > a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
    > going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
    > they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
    > for you.
    >
    > Do post back with an outcome!
    >
    > HTH,

    Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
    difficult/expensive to .. replace?
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    shane wrote:

    > Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
    > difficult/expensive to .. replace?

    Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

    EMB, Nov 9, 2007
  5. EMB <> wrote:

    > shane wrote:
    > >
    > > Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
    > > difficult/expensive to .. replace?

    > Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

    Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
    value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft or
    whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested :-( I
    keep records of what I have, but I'd hate to have to prove the value of
    hundreds of different games and books after they were gone. It's hard
    enough finding real world examples of the value of some of these items
    right NOW, let alone in the future when they're rarer. And value is such
    a subjective thing... *sigh*

    Other than a vague idea I should have some protection for my geekier
    assets, I am at a bit of a loss how do do so.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007
  6. Alan <> wrote:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, two questions:
    > >
    > > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan
    > > for
    > > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac? What about a plan that would
    > > also
    > > replace the extended AppleCare I'm going to buy? I'm aware that
    > > plans
    > > covering damage, loss AS WELL AS service and repair exist, but I
    > > wouldn't know from where. I asked Tower who I used to be with when I
    > > was
    > > a full time student, and they said they had nothing like that.
    > >
    > > B) I've large book and video game collections. Is there any plan
    > > that
    > > would cover these sorts of things? Once again I spoke to Tower and
    > > they
    > > said at the low amount (approx. $10,000 for the collections) I want
    > > coverage for, they can only insure video games at the original
    > > price,
    > > minus 15% per year. Obviously that's useless for classic games. It
    > > totally misses the point for games now worth MORE than their
    > > original
    > > price.
    > >
    > > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these
    > > things?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > > --
    > > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    > Hi Jamie,
    >
    > On the latter, my suggestion is that you catalogue the items you want
    > to insure (perhaps take digital photos of each one - would that be
    > practical??) including serial numbers or keys etc (to make it as
    > specific as possible).

    I have a database of my books and another of my games. I keep all my
    serial numbers stored in two different locations. No photos - but I
    suppose that's doable. Might be a good excuse to add them into the
    databases...

    > List the value that *you* want to insure each item for, then approach
    > a selection of brokers (much more likely to get you what you want than
    > going direct - that only works well for 'standard' risks) and see what
    > they can do for you. They won't charge for seeing what they can do
    > for you.
    >
    > Do post back with an outcome!
    >
    > HTH,

    Good advice, thanks. I'll certainly let the group know if I find
    suitable cover. I don't imagine I can be the only person with geeky
    assets like this that are not covered.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in

    > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

    Call them collectibles

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
    >
    > > So, anyone know of some decent affordable insurance for these things?

    > Call them collectibles

    I'm fairly certain I was clear with the companies I spoke to. But I just
    called them collections and said I was a collector of these things. Bad
    move?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 9, 7:19 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:
    > Hi, two questions:
    >
    > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
    > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac?

    You should only be insuring this sort of stuff in this manner if your
    financial resources are such that you would have extreme difficulty
    meeting the replacement cost.

    By all means include it in 'household' insurance (in case you lose the
    lot), but not with 'all risks' extension or covering breakdowns. The
    premiums of the insurance you are loking for would be quite high, and
    it would be more economic in the long term to grin and bear the cost
    of repairs or replacement. a significant part of the premium fo such
    insurance goes towards meeting fraudulent claims despite the insurers'
    best endeavours.

    peterwn, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Puddle Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> shane wrote:
    >>> Wouldnt replacement insurance factor in that classic games are
    >>> difficult/expensive to .. replace?

    >> Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

    > Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
    > value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft or
    > whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested :-( I
    > keep records of what I have, but I'd hate to have to prove the value of
    > hundreds of different games and books after they were gone. It's hard
    > enough finding real world examples of the value of some of these items
    > right NOW, let alone in the future when they're rarer. And value is such
    > a subjective thing... *sigh*
    >
    > Other than a vague idea I should have some protection for my geekier
    > assets, I am at a bit of a loss how do do so.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I am just curious as to why you do collect stuff like that? To what
    end? The way I see it people that collect old Ataris and games etc it is
    only worth money because there are still people around that grew up with
    them and actually know what they are... in 50 years when they have all
    died off, no one will even know what an atari is or care about it?

    Puddle, Nov 9, 2007
  11. peterwn <> wrote:

    > On Nov 9, 7:19 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, two questions:
    > >
    > > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
    > > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac?

    > You should only be insuring this sort of stuff in this manner if your
    > financial resources are such that you would have extreme difficulty
    > meeting the replacement cost.
    >
    > By all means include it in 'household' insurance (in case you lose the
    > lot), but not with 'all risks' extension or covering breakdowns. The
    > premiums of the insurance you are loking for would be quite high, and
    > it would be more economic in the long term to grin and bear the cost
    > of repairs or replacement. a significant part of the premium fo such
    > insurance goes towards meeting fraudulent claims despite the insurers'
    > best endeavours.

    You make a very good point, and that's absolutely something I need to
    discover - is it economic to even bother insuring this stuff? I'm
    thinking it miiiiiight not be, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. It
    would be nice to have _some_ type of affordable cover. But it's only
    $10,000 worth of books and games, and $5000 worth of computer. Still,
    this stuff matters a lot to me, so I figured I ought to find out.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 9, 2007
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 10, 11:37 am, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:
    > peterwn <> wrote:
    > > On Nov 9, 7:19 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi, two questions:

    > > > A) Are any of you helpful people familiar with a good insurance plan for
    > > > a new top of the line Apple 24" iMac?

    > > You should only be insuring this sort of stuff in this manner if your
    > > financial resources are such that you would have extreme difficulty
    > > meeting the replacement cost.

    > > By all means include it in 'household' insurance (in case you lose the
    > > lot), but not with 'all risks' extension or covering breakdowns. The
    > > premiums of the insurance you are loking for would be quite high, and
    > > it would be more economic in the long term to grin and bear the cost
    > > of repairs or replacement. a significant part of the premium fo such
    > > insurance goes towards meeting fraudulent claims despite the insurers'
    > > best endeavours.

    > You make a very good point, and that's absolutely something I need to
    > discover - is it economic to even bother insuring this stuff? I'm
    > thinking it miiiiiight not be, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. It
    > would be nice to have _some_ type of affordable cover. But it's only
    > $10,000 worth of books and games, and $5000 worth of computer. Still,
    > this stuff matters a lot to me, so I figured I ought to find out.

    If the items sit inside your house most of the time then usual
    'contents' insurance
    should be reasonably priced assess the total value and get quotes
    accordingly.
    It does depend on circumstances, a shared 'flatting' situation being
    the worst.

    You may need to specifically 'declare' the computer. In any case
    inverntory the stuff
    (or take digital photos of the items and keep the CD off site).

    peterwn, Nov 9, 2007
  13. Puddle <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > EMB <> wrote:

    > >> Only if listed and an agreed value settled in advance.

    > > Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
    > > value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft or
    > > whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested :-( I
    > > keep records of what I have, but I'd hate to have to prove the value of
    > > hundreds of different games and books after they were gone. It's hard
    > > enough finding real world examples of the value of some of these items
    > > right NOW, let alone in the future when they're rarer. And value is such
    > > a subjective thing... *sigh*
    > >
    > > Other than a vague idea I should have some protection for my geekier
    > > assets, I am at a bit of a loss how do do so.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > I am just curious as to why you do collect stuff like that? To what
    > end? The way I see it people that collect old Ataris and games etc it is
    > only worth money because there are still people around that grew up with
    > them and actually know what they are... in 50 years when they have all
    > died off, no one will even know what an atari is or care about it?

    I play the games and read the books. They're not the sort of collections
    that sit around, unopened and gathering dust - that's just dull and
    boring IMO. As a result their true value is mostly only to me, but I'd
    be heartbroken if I lost it all in a fire and had to hunt all the out of
    print games and books down again. I hate to think of years of hunting
    around and thousands of dollars spent and time invested all going down
    the gurgler with nothing to show for it.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 10, 2007
  14. peterwn <> wrote:

    > On Nov 10, 11:37 am, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    > > peterwn <> wrote:

    > > > You should only be insuring this sort of stuff in this manner if your
    > > > financial resources are such that you would have extreme difficulty
    > > > meeting the replacement cost.

    > > > By all means include it in 'household' insurance (in case you lose the
    > > > lot), but not with 'all risks' extension or covering breakdowns. The
    > > > premiums of the insurance you are loking for would be quite high, and
    > > > it would be more economic in the long term to grin and bear the cost
    > > > of repairs or replacement. a significant part of the premium fo such
    > > > insurance goes towards meeting fraudulent claims despite the insurers'
    > > > best endeavours.

    > > You make a very good point, and that's absolutely something I need to
    > > discover - is it economic to even bother insuring this stuff? I'm
    > > thinking it miiiiiight not be, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. It
    > > would be nice to have _some_ type of affordable cover. But it's only
    > > $10,000 worth of books and games, and $5000 worth of computer. Still,
    > > this stuff matters a lot to me, so I figured I ought to find out.
    > >

    > If the items sit inside your house most of the time then usual
    > 'contents' insurance
    > should be reasonably priced assess the total value and get quotes
    > accordingly.
    > It does depend on circumstances, a shared 'flatting' situation being
    > the worst.
    >
    > You may need to specifically 'declare' the computer. In any case
    > inverntory the stuff
    > (or take digital photos of the items and keep the CD off site).

    See earlier where I say Tower (and other big names I've now looked into)
    said the games would lose 15% of their value each year, which makes it
    useless given almost all my games are older than 5 years.

    I don't really care about insuring the rest of my contents. It's not
    enough to be worthwhile.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 10, 2007
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in

    > I'm fairly certain I was clear with the companies I spoke to. But I just
    > called them collections and said I was a collector of these things. Bad
    > move?

    I don't know what to say, I would have done the same. Being honest with
    your insurance company is the best move. Maybe there are specialists for
    this, which I guess is circular to your OP, haha.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 10, 2007
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Makes sense to me. Far less messy if a there's just a set agreed on
    > value that I'm simply paid out for if there was a flood, fire, theft
    > or
    > whatever. But places like Tower and AMP just aren't interested :-(

    That's why you're better off going to a broker - they are specialists
    and your requirement doesn't fit the simple / standard risks that you
    can discuss on the phone with a call centre.

    Think about a really curly / complex tech issue that you might have,
    and then consider phoning your ISPs call centre and asking them how to
    fix it - it doesn't work. If you have a complex problem and you want
    to call someone, you'd get on the phone to a specialist IT guy and
    perhaps even get them to come to you - same with anything else.

    Alan, Nov 11, 2007