Computer hire / technology incubators?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jon, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Hello all,

    Apologies in advance for yet another 'Pommy backpacker' post (and for
    cross-posting this to nz.general), but ....

    I'm travelling through New Zealand for a few months later this year,
    while there I am planning on stopping for a few weeks and catching up
    with some work back in the UK.

    To do this i need uninterrupted access to a PC and internet connection,
    ideally in normal business hours. I can't lug a laptop around in my
    back pack and an internet cafe would be too expensive and noisy.

    In most major UK cities we have 'Technology Incubators', where computer
    and business resources can be hired for short to medium periods of
    time, is there anything similar in NZ?

    Alternatively, can anyone recommend any computer hire companies?

    Of course, being a backpacker, cost is my major concern ;)

    Many thanks in advance.

    Jon.

    Jon, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Jon

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:32:43 -0700, Jon wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Apologies in advance for yet another 'Pommy backpacker' post (and for
    > cross-posting this to nz.general), but ....
    >
    > I'm travelling through New Zealand for a few months later this year,
    > while there I am planning on stopping for a few weeks and catching up
    > with some work back in the UK.
    >
    > To do this i need uninterrupted access to a PC and internet connection,
    > ideally in normal business hours. I can't lug a laptop around in my
    > back pack and an internet cafe would be too expensive and noisy.
    >
    > In most major UK cities we have 'Technology Incubators', where computer
    > and business resources can be hired for short to medium periods of
    > time, is there anything similar in NZ?
    >
    > Alternatively, can anyone recommend any computer hire companies?
    >
    > Of course, being a backpacker, cost is my major concern ;)
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jon.

    We've certainly got one in Christchurch... opposite the pool.
    http://www.cii.co.nz/index.shtml

    Steve
    Ex Pom, trainee Kiwi.

    Steve, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Jon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:32:43 -0700, Jon wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > Apologies in advance for yet another 'Pommy backpacker' post (and
    > > for cross-posting this to nz.general), but ....
    > >
    > > I'm travelling through New Zealand for a few months later this year,
    > > while there I am planning on stopping for a few weeks and catching
    > > up with some work back in the UK.
    > >
    > > To do this i need uninterrupted access to a PC and internet
    > > connection, ideally in normal business hours. I can't lug a laptop
    > > around in my back pack and an internet cafe would be too expensive
    > > and noisy.
    > >
    > > In most major UK cities we have 'Technology Incubators', where
    > > computer and business resources can be hired for short to medium
    > > periods of time, is there anything similar in NZ?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, can anyone recommend any computer hire companies?
    > >
    > > Of course, being a backpacker, cost is my major concern ;)
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Jon.

    > We've certainly got one in Christchurch... opposite the pool.
    > http://www.cii.co.nz/index.shtml

    Heh! You learn something everyday. Or at least, if you forget as much as I
    do you do. :)

    > Steve
    > Ex Pom, trainee Kiwi.

    I'm also an ex-pom but it was 1973 and I was 12 years old. I think I'm
    pretty-much fully trained now. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 25, 2006