    It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
    seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

    Outlook Express, XP.
    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <l0oma7$lv0$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
    > seemed to shut down.
    > I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
    >
    > Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
    >
    > I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

    Well there's no doubt still enough keys on the keyboard to include a
    sleep and hibernate - and that's probably what you
    unknowingly/unwittingly did.

    So have a looksee at the wee symbols at the top of the keyboard - I
    think you'll find one that looks like a "sleep" symbol, and that it's
    set to hibernate the PC on press - usually it requires a combination of
    a special 'Function' key on the keyboard - however some keyboards have a
    single, sleep keypress, function.

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2013

  3. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:

    Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
    software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;

    > Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
    > and seemed to shut down.

    Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the only
    thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
    together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

    Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
    hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email /
    Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?

    > I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start
    > up.
    > Was that the right thing to do?

    Yes.

    > Could it do any harm?

    No.

    > I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

    Ok.

    > It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
    > secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting
    > for it. Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?

    No. Nothing like that.

    > Or is it just something technical?

    It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
    someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing it
    maybe time for the computer man?

    Like your blue screen the other day, if it's a one-off then ignore it.
    However if it happens repeatedly it could be a sign of something out of
    whack that needs attention. In fact the two thing could conceivably be
    related... However, as I said, Windows stuff is not my strong-suit.

    > It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though
    > I've seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

    Yeah, it's actually confusing (at least to me). They can 'hibernate' and
    'stand by', with various degrees of each / either. One saves everything to
    memory, the other to the hard drive so it's quicker to resume where you left
    off rather than turning the computer off, then on again later.

    However in my opinion these 'sleep states' are more useful for laptops than
    desktops. (I don't like them though, even with my laptop I don't use them.)

    > Outlook Express, XP.

    Well done. Folks can't help if they don't know what you're using. ;-)

    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help - or it won't happen again.

    Best,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2013
  4. In article <l0op65$2oc$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    >
    >Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
    >software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    >worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
    >
    >> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
    >> and seemed to shut down.

    >Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    >certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the only
    >thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
    >together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

    Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I don't think
    Geo runs a laptop, but ... ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2013
  5. On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:59:18 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
    >seemed to shut down.
    > I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
    >
    >Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
    >
    >I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.
    >
    >It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
    >secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting for it.
    >Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?
    >
    >Or is it just something technical?
    >
    >It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
    >seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.
    >
    >Outlook Express, XP.

    Dead simple Right click on the desktop a empty part ie Wallpaper
    select Properties then screen saver the select the Power icon near the
    bottom , then select the power schemes like Home/Office then select the
    Hibernate tab and make sure the Enable hibernate is not ticked.
    Frank Williams, Sep 11, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:59:18 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
    >>seemed to shut down.
    >> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
    >>
    >>Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
    >>
    >>I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.
    >>
    >>It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
    >>secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting for it.
    >>Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?
    >>
    >>Or is it just something technical?
    >>
    >>It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
    >>seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.
    >>
    >>Outlook Express, XP.
    >>

    > Dead simple Right click on the desktop a empty part ie Wallpaper
    > select Properties then screen saver the select the Power icon near the
    > bottom , then select the power schemes like Home/Office then select the
    > Hibernate tab and make sure the Enable hibernate is not ticked.

    Thank you. I did all that, there was "system hibernates" saying "Never".
    Enable hibernate wasn't there, I suppose that is the same thing.
    So it shouldn't have hibernated. Perhaps it was just a bug.
    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <l0oma7$lv0$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
    >> seemed to shut down.
    >> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
    >>
    >> Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
    >>
    >> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

    > Well there's no doubt still enough keys on the keyboard to include a
    > sleep and hibernate - and that's probably what you
    > unknowingly/unwittingly did.
    >
    > So have a looksee at the wee symbols at the top of the keyboard - I
    > think you'll find one that looks like a "sleep" symbol, and that it's
    > set to hibernate the PC on press - usually it requires a combination of
    > a special 'Function' key on the keyboard - however some keyboards have a
    > single, sleep keypress, function.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about it.

    Thank you. I can't see anything like that on this keyboard. There are Undo,
    Find, Save etc.
    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  8. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <l0op65$2oc$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my
    >> forte, software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in
    >> my tuppence worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
    >>
    >>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
    >>> and seemed to shut down.

    >> Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so
    >> after a certain period of inactivity. However you said you were
    >> using it so the only thing I can think of is did you perhaps
    >> accidently push the Windows key together with 'H' and 'U' on the
    >> keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

    > Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I
    > don't think
    > Geo runs a laptop, but ... ? :)

    No, she has a desktop. Even so, my laptop won't hibernate even if the
    battery is dying. It'll just turn off when there's no jiuce left. Did I
    mention I dislike hibernation et al? <g>

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    >
    > Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
    > software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    > worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
    >
    >> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
    >> and seemed to shut down.

    > Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    > certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the
    > only thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows
    > key together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP
    > hibernate.

    I don't think I could do that accidentally. The bird could do it, but he
    wasn't out of his cage.
    > Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
    > hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email /
    > Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?

    Can't see anything.
    .............>
    >> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start
    >> up.
    >> Was that the right thing to do?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Could it do any harm?

    > No.
    >
    >> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

    > Ok.
    >
    >> It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
    >> secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting
    >> for it. Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?

    > No. Nothing like that.
    >
    >> Or is it just something technical?

    > It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
    > someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing it
    > maybe time for the computer man?

    Yes, he'll have to have a look soon, some odd things happen.
    Trend micro has picked up some web threats recently. To my surprise they
    seem to be Bible sites!
    Unless somebody is just using that sort of name.
    > Like your blue screen the other day, if it's a one-off then ignore it.
    > However if it happens repeatedly it could be a sign of something out of
    > whack that needs attention. In fact the two thing could conceivably be
    > related... However, as I said, Windows stuff is not my strong-suit.
    >
    >> It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though
    >> I've seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

    > Yeah, it's actually confusing (at least to me). They can 'hibernate' and
    > 'stand by', with various degrees of each / either. One saves everything to
    > memory, the other to the hard drive so it's quicker to resume where you
    > left off rather than turning the computer off, then on again later.
    >
    > However in my opinion these 'sleep states' are more useful for laptops
    > than desktops. (I don't like them though, even with my laptop I don't use
    > them.)
    >
    >> Outlook Express, XP.

    > Well done. Folks can't help if they don't know what you're using. ;-)
    >
    > Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help - or it won't happen again.
    >
    > Best,

    Thank you, I've answered above.
    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:l0otp7$k47$...
    > In article <l0op65$2oc$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
    >>software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    >>worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
    >>
    >>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
    >>> and seemed to shut down.

    >>Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    >>certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the
    >>only
    >>thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
    >>together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

    > Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I don't
    > think
    > Geo runs a laptop, but ... ? :)

    No, I haven't got a laptop. This computer runs off the mains and the phone
    line.
    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my
    >>> forte,
    >>> software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    >>> worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;

    >>> Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    >>> certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the
    >>> only thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows
    >>> key together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP
    >>> hibernate.

    >> I don't think I could do that accidentally. The bird could do it, but he
    >> wasn't out of his cage.
    >>> Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
    >>> hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email
    >>> /
    >>> Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?

    >> Can't see anything.
    >> ............>
    >>>
    >>> Yes.

    >>> No.

    >>> Ok.

    >>> No. Nothing like that.

    >>> It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
    >>> someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing
    >>> it
    >>> maybe time for the computer man?

    >> Yes, he'll have to have a look soon, some odd things happen.
    >> Trend micro has picked up some web threats recently. To my surprise they
    >> seem to be Bible sites!
    >> Unless somebody is just using that sort of name.

    > It's not surprisiung that a site that is dedicated to the biggest scam of
    > all time may have other scams in it.
    > --

    The Bible is not an invented "scam" in the way a certain modern cult is!

    It is a collection of ancient books of religion, history, philosophy and the
    wisdom of many centuries.
    We can believe as much of it as we like, or none of it at all. ( I'm
    agnostic).
    I find the New Testament an insight into the concerns of a distant part of
    the Roman Empire, and various cities around the Eastern Mediterranean
    It has had in influence on our own history for the last two thousand years.
    And many of the Bible characters also appear in the Koran.

    If younger children are to have a secular education, without the Sunday
    School type Bible stories, fair enough.
    But perhaps these days the Bible should be treated like the Greek and Roman
    classics, now available in translation on the internet.
    Teenagers could be well advised to read whatever interests them of those,
    and draw their own conclusions.
    Treat the Bible in the same way.

    But what has this got to do with computers?
    geopelia, Sep 12, 2013
  13. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    [snip]
    > The discussion was about scams from a Bible site. I see a certain
    > amount or irony in that.

    No it wasn't, it was about a computer. As usual you chose what you want to
    see - in that way I put you in the same class as the bible thumpers who
    knock on my door - worse actually as they admit they're biased.

    This is a computer group. If you want to belittle and deride the bible why
    don't you go down to your closest Pacific Island church instead of picking
    on a kind and gentle woman from the safety of your computer? Oh, yeah, we
    all know why!

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> The discussion was about scams from a Bible site. I see a certain
    >> amount or irony in that.

    > No it wasn't, it was about a computer. As usual you chose what you want to
    > see - in that way I put you in the same class as the bible thumpers who
    > knock on my door - worse actually as they admit they're biased.
    >
    > This is a computer group. If you want to belittle and deride the bible why
    > don't you go down to your closest Pacific Island church instead of picking
    > on a kind and gentle woman from the safety of your computer? Oh, yeah, we
    > all know why!
    > --

    Don't worry about me, we argue a lot over on nz.general.
    And the scammers may just have chosen a Bible page to attract victims.
    I'm often surprised at what Trend micro warns as a "dangerous page".

    But it's nice that somebody thinks I'm kind and gentle.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick", as Theodore Roosevelt is supposed to
    have said.
    Thank you.!
    geopelia, Sep 13, 2013
  15. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> The discussion was about scams from a Bible site. I see a certain
    >>> amount or irony in that.

    >> No it wasn't, it was about a computer. As usual you chose what you
    >> want to see - in that way I put you in the same class as the bible
    >> thumpers who knock on my door - worse actually as they admit they're
    >> biased.

    > I am biased towards free thinking.
    >
    >> This is a computer group. If you want to belittle and deride the
    >> bible why don't you go down to your closest Pacific Island church
    >> instead of picking on a kind and gentle woman from the safety of
    >> your computer? Oh, yeah, we all know why!

    > I wasn't picking on anyone. I have great respect for Geopelia and I
    > enjoy our discussions. There is nothing in what I posted that could
    > be construed as a personal attack against another poster. Engaging in
    > personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has no argument,
    > it's a sure sign of puerility.
    >
    > My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did. Have a
    > think about that before you slander another poster.

    Something for you to think about - You and your ilk keep me out of
    nz.general by making it such a hostile place. Why shouldn't I abuse you when
    you then come to nz.comp with non-computer related guff, then calling me
    puerile?

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2013
  16. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:

    [snipped]
    >>> I wasn't picking on anyone. I have great respect for Geopelia and I
    >>> enjoy our discussions. There is nothing in what I posted that could
    >>> be construed as a personal attack against another poster. Engaging
    >>> in personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has no
    >>> argument, it's a sure sign of puerility.
    >>>
    >>> My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did. Have a
    >>> think about that before you slander another poster.

    >> Why shouldn't I abuse you
    >> when you then come to nz.comp with non-computer related guff, then
    >> calling me puerile?

    > Also, I didn't call you puerile. I said that resorting to personal
    > abuse was puerile. Read into that what you will.

    Are you serious?

    "Engaging in personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has no
    argument, it's a sure sign of puerility."

    Next paragraph:

    "My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did."

    That *is* calling me puerile.

    I'm done - in to the killfile with you. I'm here to talk computers.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-09-15, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:

    > [snipped]

    >>> Why shouldn't I abuse you
    >>> when you then come to nz.comp with non-computer related guff, then
    >>> calling me puerile?

    >> Also, I didn't call you puerile. I said that resorting to personal
    >> abuse was puerile. Read into that what you will.

    > Are you serious?
    >
    > "Engaging in personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has no
    > argument, it's a sure sign of puerility."
    >
    > Next paragraph:
    >
    > "My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did."
    >
    > That *is* calling me puerile.
    >
    > I'm done - in to the killfile with you. I'm here to talk computers.

    So she/he does not get the right of reply?

    Seems to mee there must be something else going on.
    Gordon, Sep 15, 2013
  18. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-09-15, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:

    >> [snipped]

    >>> Also, I didn't call you puerile. I said that resorting to personal
    >>> abuse was puerile. Read into that what you will.

    >> Are you serious?
    >>
    >> "Engaging in personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has
    >> no argument, it's a sure sign of puerility."
    >>
    >> Next paragraph:
    >>
    >> "My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did."
    >>
    >> That *is* calling me puerile.
    >>
    >> I'm done - in to the killfile with you. I'm here to talk computers.

    > So she/he does not get the right of reply?

    Do you think it would be about computers Gordon?

    > Seems to mee there must be something else going on.

    You see something where there is nothing - as I said I'm here to talk
    computers and to ask or answer questions about them. I simply don't have any
    interest in - or time for - 'discussions', debates, arguments or
    dick-sizing. In fact I try to keep my life as free from conflict as I can. I
    find it curious that someone wouldn't believe that and question my motives.
    <shrug> Sign of the times I suppose.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013