    I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted everything
    that was on the computer.

    Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    Need Computer Help, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Need Computer Help

    bmoag Guest

    If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    bmoag, May 1, 2006

  3. Need Computer Help

    steam3801 Guest

    On 30 Apr 2006 15:45:04 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
    wrote:

    >Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives in
    >it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB drive.
    > I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB drive and
    >put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    >
    >I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really haven't
    >messed around with the old computer much until yesterday. I previously
    >deleted just about everything on the computer and should have at least
    >20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have 640 MB free space. All I
    >had on the computer were video and music files and I moved them all
    >over to my new computer with a USB case.
    >
    >I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted everything
    >that was on the computer.
    >
    >Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    Emptied the Recycle Bin?
    --
    steam3801
    ASCII a silly question, get a silly ANSI

    steam3801, May 1, 2006
  4. Need Computer Help

    steam3801 Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:11:58 GMT, "bmoag" <> - in a
    blinding flash of brilliance - wrote:

    >If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    >and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    >the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    <Snap>!! :) :)

    steam3801, May 1, 2006
  5. bmoag wrote:
    > If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    > and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    > the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    I defrag it's done in two seconds.

    I really don't think these are the solutions to my problem, has anyone
    had a similar expierence?

    Need Computer Help, May 1, 2006
  6. steam3801 wrote:
    > On 30 Apr 2006 15:45:04 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    > <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives in
    > >it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB drive.
    > > I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB drive and
    > >put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    > >
    > >I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really haven't
    > >messed around with the old computer much until yesterday. I previously
    > >deleted just about everything on the computer and should have at least
    > >20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have 640 MB free space. All I
    > >had on the computer were video and music files and I moved them all
    > >over to my new computer with a USB case.
    > >
    > >I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted everything
    > >that was on the computer.
    > >
    > >Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    > Emptied the Recycle Bin?
    > --

    Yeah. I really don't know why I have no free space. As I said I had
    the hard drive filled with video and music files. All the files were
    in one folder and I moved the ones I wanted to save over to my new
    computer via a USB case. I deleted all the files. The folder that the
    files were in has been deleted. It's all gone. The recyle bin is
    empty.

    Need Computer Help, May 1, 2006
  7. On 30 Apr 2006 16:21:02 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    <> wrote:

    >bmoag wrote:
    >> If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    >> and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    >> the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    >My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    >that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    >and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    >recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    >I defrag it's done in two seconds.
    >
    >I really don't think these are the solutions to my problem, has anyone
    >had a similar expierence?

    1 - Get rid of any Norton crap.
    2 - Make sure it's set that you can see all files.
    3 - Make sure that there isn't any unpartitioned disk space
    4 - If all else fails, fdisk, format, reinstall XP
    -

    You just got MARKed the **** out!

    Mark Marklar - The Hyper-Intelligent Voice of Reas, May 1, 2006
  8. On 30 Apr 2006 16:21:02 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    <> wrote:

    >bmoag wrote:
    >> If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    >> and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    >> the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    >My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    >that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    >and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    >recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    >I defrag it's done in two seconds.
    >
    >I really don't think these are the solutions to my problem, has anyone
    >had a similar expierence?

    1 - Get rid of any Norton crap.
    2 - Make sure it's set that you can see all files.
    3 - Make sure that there isn't any unpartitioned disk space
    4 - If all else fails, fdisk, format, install Linux
    -

    You just got MARKed the **** out!

    Mark Mark1ar - The Hyper-Intelligent Voice of Reas, May 1, 2006
  9. Need Computer Help

    steam3801 Guest

    On 30 Apr 2006 16:21:02 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote:

    >bmoag wrote:
    >> If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    >> and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    >> the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    >My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    >that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    >and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    >recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    >I defrag it's done in two seconds.

    Done a disk cleanup?

    Then do a search of your hard drive for large files - say, at least
    20,000Kb (old swap files, a d/loaded movie or 2, digital images in the
    Program Files directory for the camera software (Canon are good at
    that!!) .. that type of thing, files not in the usual expected
    location)

    Do a search of your hard drive for *.* files - how many are there?
    (couple of thousand or 10s of thousands)

    steam3801, May 1, 2006
  10. Need Computer Help

    steam3801 Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:29:29 GMT, Mark Marklar - The Hyper-Intelligent
    Voice of Reason <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
    wrote:

    >On 30 Apr 2006 16:21:02 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>bmoag wrote:
    >>> If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    >>> and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    >>> the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    >>My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    >>that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    >>and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    >>recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    >>I defrag it's done in two seconds.
    >>
    >>I really don't think these are the solutions to my problem, has anyone
    >>had a similar expierence?

    >1 - Get rid of any Norton crap.

    Good point - are you running Norton with Protected Recycle Bin turned
    on?

    >2 - Make sure it's set that you can see all files.
    >3 - Make sure that there isn't any unpartitioned disk space

    Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Mngmnt -> Dsk Mngmnt

    steam3801, May 1, 2006
  11. Need Computer Help

    John Guest

    Need Computer Help wrote:
    > steam3801 wrote:
    >> On 30 Apr 2006 15:45:04 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    >> <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives
    >>> in it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB
    >>> drive. I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB
    >>> drive and put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    >>>
    >>> I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really
    >>> haven't messed around with the old computer much until yesterday.
    >>> I previously deleted just about everything on the computer and
    >>> should have at least 20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have
    >>> 640 MB free space. All I had on the computer were video and music
    >>> files and I moved them all over to my new computer with a USB case.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted
    >>> everything that was on the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    >> Emptied the Recycle Bin?
    >> --

    > Yeah. I really don't know why I have no free space. As I said I had
    > the hard drive filled with video and music files. All the files were
    > in one folder and I moved the ones I wanted to save over to my new
    > computer via a USB case. I deleted all the files. The folder that
    > the files were in has been deleted. It's all gone. The recyle bin is
    > empty.

    Do Fdisk and look at what you have for partition sizes.

    John, May 1, 2006
  12. Need Computer Help

    Andy Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives in
    >it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB drive.
    > I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB drive and
    >put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    >
    >I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really haven't
    >messed around with the old computer much until yesterday. I previously
    >deleted just about everything on the computer and should have at least
    >20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have 640 MB free space. All I
    >had on the computer were video and music files and I moved them all
    >over to my new computer with a USB case.
    >
    >I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted everything
    >that was on the computer.
    >
    >Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    Run a disk usage program such as ShowMan
    <http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html#ShowMan>.

    Andy, May 1, 2006
  13. Need Computer Help

    Wavy G Guest

    The results are in...Need Computer Help, you are NOT the father!

    >Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives in
    >it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB drive.
    > I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB drive and
    >put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    >
    >I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really haven't
    >messed around with the old computer much until yesterday. I previously
    >deleted just about everything on the computer and should have at least
    >20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have 640 MB free space.

    Easy. You have 640 MB of RAM. You forgot to put the hard drive in.

    Wavy G, May 1, 2006
  14. Need Computer Help

    Dave Guest

    "Need Computer Help" <> wrote in message

    > steam3801 wrote:
    >> On 30 Apr 2006 15:45:04 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    >> <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hey guys I bought a new computer awhile back, I had two hard drives in
    >> >it. One 200 GB and the other 40 GB. I had the OS on the 200 GB drive.
    >> > I wanted to copy the OS from the 200 GB drive to the 40 GB drive and
    >> >put the 200 GB drive in my new computer.
    >> >
    >> >I did that. Everything is fine on my new computer. I really haven't
    >> >messed around with the old computer much until yesterday. I previously
    >> >deleted just about everything on the computer and should have at least
    >> >20-25 GB freespace but I don't. I only have 640 MB free space. All I
    >> >had on the computer were video and music files and I moved them all
    >> >over to my new computer with a USB case.
    >> >
    >> >I don't know why it says I have no free space when I deleted everything
    >> >that was on the computer.
    >> >
    >> >Any help? The OS is XP with Service pack 2.

    >> Emptied the Recycle Bin?
    >> --

    > Yeah. I really don't know why I have no free space. As I said I had
    > the hard drive filled with video and music files. All the files were
    > in one folder and I moved the ones I wanted to save over to my new
    > computer via a USB case. I deleted all the files. The folder that the
    > files were in has been deleted. It's all gone. The recyle bin is
    > empty.

    Check how much space is allocated for System Restore. It may be that a % of
    the 200GB drive was allocated and this is way too much given the size of the
    current drive.

    Dave, May 1, 2006
  15. steam3801 wrote:
    > On 30 Apr 2006 16:21:02 -0700, "Need Computer Help"
    > <> - in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote:
    >

    > >bmoag wrote:
    > >> If you are running XP (how did you get around the activation code?) or ME
    > >> and there are files in the recycle bin they are counted as still being on
    > >> the hard drive. Delete them and then defrag.

    > >My computer came with XP years ago. My hard drive came with a progame
    > >that let me copy one hard drive to another. The recyle bin is empty
    > >and I've defragged several times. I only have 1% free space and it is
    > >recomended by the defrag program to have at least 15% free. Everytime
    > >I defrag it's done in two seconds.

    > Done a disk cleanup?
    >
    > Then do a search of your hard drive for large files - say, at least
    > 20,000Kb (old swap files, a d/loaded movie or 2, digital images in the
    > Program Files directory for the camera software (Canon are good at
    > that!!) .. that type of thing, files not in the usual expected
    > location)
    >
    > Do a search of your hard drive for *.* files - how many are there?
    > (couple of thousand or 10s of thousands)

    I did this, I had a 30 GB dwatson.log file. I deleted it.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Need Computer Help, May 6, 2006