Computer has drastically sped up by a factor of 22!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 6, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Ever since I downloaded Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and WinPatrol last year, it
    started taking me about 60-90 seconds to download a few certain websites,
    such as http://www.paypal.com, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/, and the
    Philadelphia Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/). I have a cable
    connection and my download speeds exceed 4 megs. It's only certain sites
    that were slow. this went on for over a year.

    Well, a miracle happened a few days ago. All of a sudden, all those websites
    started downloading super fast, like in about 4 seconds!!

    The only thing that changed was this:

    1) I downloaded a Trend Micro AV update and did a scan.
    2) I downloaded 2 Grisoft AVG AV updates and did scans.
    3) I downloaded XP Page File Monitor my Microsoft MVP Bill James and ran it
    to determine the size of my virtual memory.
    4) I downloaded a patch for Microsoft Office 97 to fix a macro
    vulnerability, and had to enable an Active X control to do so, after
    prompted by Microsoft to click the top bar on the browser page.

    So it must be one of the above caused my computer to drastically increase in
    speed?
    Can anyone explain this??

    I know Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Windows XP (used to?) like to fight Active X
    and other bad downloads from that philly.com website. And I used to get
    messages that I may not view the page properly since I don't allow Active X
    controls.

    BTW, I don't/didn't have viruses or spyware. In fact, I am obsessive about
    computer security. I run nine different anti-spyware programs twice a week
    (including four with active shield), and two different AV programs 3-6 times
    a week (including one with active shield). I will soon be installing more AV
    programs as well. I also run Windows Update twice a week and have a software
    and hardware firewall. All my ports are secure. All current patches for IE,
    Windows, Office, Adobe, Sun Java, etc. are installed.

    And I did install 1 GB more RAM yesterday, but the drastic speed up occurred
    a few days before doing that.

    Julie P., May 6, 2005

  2. Julie P. wrote:
    > Ever since I downloaded Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and WinPatrol last year, it
    > started taking me about 60-90 seconds to download a few certain websites,
    > such as http://www.paypal.com, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/, and the
    > Philadelphia Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/). I have a cable
    > connection and my download speeds exceed 4 megs. It's only certain sites
    > that were slow. this went on for over a year.
    >
    > Well, a miracle happened a few days ago. All of a sudden, all those websites
    > started downloading super fast, like in about 4 seconds!!
    >
    > The only thing that changed was this:
    >
    > 1) I downloaded a Trend Micro AV update and did a scan.
    > 2) I downloaded 2 Grisoft AVG AV updates and did scans.
    > 3) I downloaded XP Page File Monitor my Microsoft MVP Bill James and ran it
    > to determine the size of my virtual memory.
    > 4) I downloaded a patch for Microsoft Office 97 to fix a macro
    > vulnerability, and had to enable an Active X control to do so, after
    > prompted by Microsoft to click the top bar on the browser page.
    >
    > So it must be one of the above caused my computer to drastically increase in
    > speed?
    > Can anyone explain this??
    >
    > I know Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Windows XP (used to?) like to fight Active X
    > and other bad downloads from that philly.com website. And I used to get
    > messages that I may not view the page properly since I don't allow Active X
    > controls.
    >
    > BTW, I don't/didn't have viruses or spyware. In fact, I am obsessive about
    > computer security. I run nine different anti-spyware programs twice a week
    > (including four with active shield), and two different AV programs 3-6 times
    > a week (including one with active shield). I will soon be installing more AV
    > programs as well. I also run Windows Update twice a week and have a software
    > and hardware firewall. All my ports are secure. All current patches for IE,
    > Windows, Office, Adobe, Sun Java, etc. are installed.
    >
    > And I did install 1 GB more RAM yesterday, but the drastic speed up occurred
    > a few days before doing that.

    If you're still interested in getting together with me, you can go over
    my machine and tweak it.
    --
    Yeah we all need someone to tweak on. And if you want it babe, you can
    tweak on me.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 6, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Voltardo Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    >Ever since I downloaded Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and WinPatrol last year, it
    >started taking me about 60-90 seconds to download a few certain websites,
    >such as http://www.paypal.com, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/, and the
    >Philadelphia Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/). I have a cable
    >connection and my download speeds exceed 4 megs. It's only certain sites
    >that were slow. this went on for over a year.
    >
    >Well, a miracle happened a few days ago. All of a sudden, all those websites
    >started downloading super fast, like in about 4 seconds!!
    >
    >The only thing that changed was this:
    >
    >1) I downloaded a Trend Micro AV update and did a scan.
    >2) I downloaded 2 Grisoft AVG AV updates and did scans.
    >3) I downloaded XP Page File Monitor my Microsoft MVP Bill James and ran it
    >to determine the size of my virtual memory.
    >4) I downloaded a patch for Microsoft Office 97 to fix a macro
    >vulnerability, and had to enable an Active X control to do so, after
    >prompted by Microsoft to click the top bar on the browser page.
    >
    >So it must be one of the above caused my computer to drastically increase in
    >speed?
    >Can anyone explain this??
    >
    >I know Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Windows XP (used to?) like to fight Active X
    >and other bad downloads from that philly.com website. And I used to get
    >messages that I may not view the page properly since I don't allow Active X
    >controls.
    >
    >BTW, I don't/didn't have viruses or spyware. In fact, I am obsessive about
    >computer security. I run nine different anti-spyware programs twice a week
    >(including four with active shield), and two different AV programs 3-6 times
    >a week (including one with active shield). I will soon be installing more AV
    >programs as well. I also run Windows Update twice a week and have a software
    >and hardware firewall. All my ports are secure. All current patches for IE,
    >Windows, Office, Adobe, Sun Java, etc. are installed.
    >
    >And I did install 1 GB more RAM yesterday, but the drastic speed up occurred
    >a few days before doing that.

    It's just your lucky day. When did you first notice the paranoia was
    interfering with your enjoyment of using the computer?

    Voltardo, May 6, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> Ever since I downloaded Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and WinPatrol last year, it
    >> started taking me about 60-90 seconds to download a few certain websites,
    >> such as http://www.paypal.com, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/, and the
    >> Philadelphia Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/). I have a
    >> cable connection and my download speeds exceed 4 megs. It's only certain
    >> sites that were slow. this went on for over a year.
    >>
    >> Well, a miracle happened a few days ago. All of a sudden, all those
    >> websites started downloading super fast, like in about 4 seconds!!
    >>
    >> The only thing that changed was this:
    >>
    >> 1) I downloaded a Trend Micro AV update and did a scan.
    >> 2) I downloaded 2 Grisoft AVG AV updates and did scans.
    >> 3) I downloaded XP Page File Monitor my Microsoft MVP Bill James and ran
    >> it to determine the size of my virtual memory.
    >> 4) I downloaded a patch for Microsoft Office 97 to fix a macro
    >> vulnerability, and had to enable an Active X control to do so, after
    >> prompted by Microsoft to click the top bar on the browser page.
    >>
    >> So it must be one of the above caused my computer to drastically increase
    >> in speed?
    >> Can anyone explain this??
    >>
    >> I know Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Windows XP (used to?) like to fight Active X
    >> and other bad downloads from that philly.com website. And I used to get
    >> messages that I may not view the page properly since I don't allow Active
    >> X controls.
    >>
    >> BTW, I don't/didn't have viruses or spyware. In fact, I am obsessive
    >> about computer security. I run nine different anti-spyware programs twice
    >> a week (including four with active shield), and two different AV programs
    >> 3-6 times a week (including one with active shield). I will soon be
    >> installing more AV programs as well. I also run Windows Update twice a
    >> week and have a software and hardware firewall. All my ports are secure.
    >> All current patches for IE, Windows, Office, Adobe, Sun Java, etc. are
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> And I did install 1 GB more RAM yesterday, but the drastic speed up
    >> occurred a few days before doing that.

    > If you're still interested in getting together with me, you can go over my
    > machine and tweak it.

    :)

    Julie P., May 6, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Voltardo" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >>Ever since I downloaded Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and WinPatrol last year, it
    >>started taking me about 60-90 seconds to download a few certain websites,
    >>such as http://www.paypal.com, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/, and the
    >>Philadelphia Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/). I have a
    >>cable connection and my download speeds exceed 4 megs. It's only certain
    >>sites that were slow. this went on for over a year.
    >>
    >>Well, a miracle happened a few days ago. All of a sudden, all those
    >>websites started downloading super fast, like in about 4 seconds!!
    >>
    >>The only thing that changed was this:
    >>
    >>1) I downloaded a Trend Micro AV update and did a scan.
    >>2) I downloaded 2 Grisoft AVG AV updates and did scans.
    >>3) I downloaded XP Page File Monitor my Microsoft MVP Bill James and ran
    >>it to determine the size of my virtual memory.
    >>4) I downloaded a patch for Microsoft Office 97 to fix a macro
    >>vulnerability, and had to enable an Active X control to do so, after
    >>prompted by Microsoft to click the top bar on the browser page.
    >>
    >>So it must be one of the above caused my computer to drastically increase
    >>in speed?
    >>Can anyone explain this??
    >>
    >>I know Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Windows XP (used to?) like to fight Active X
    >>and other bad downloads from that philly.com website. And I used to get
    >>messages that I may not view the page properly since I don't allow Active
    >>X controls.
    >>
    >>BTW, I don't/didn't have viruses or spyware. In fact, I am obsessive about
    >>computer security. I run nine different anti-spyware programs twice a week
    >>(including four with active shield), and two different AV programs 3-6
    >>times a week (including one with active shield). I will soon be installing
    >>more AV programs as well. I also run Windows Update twice a week and have
    >>a software and hardware firewall. All my ports are secure. All current
    >>patches for IE, Windows, Office, Adobe, Sun Java, etc. are installed.
    >>
    >>And I did install 1 GB more RAM yesterday, but the drastic speed up
    >>occurred a few days before doing that.
    >>

    > It's just your lucky day. When did you first notice the paranoia was
    > interfering with your enjoyment of using the computer?

    Not so much paranoia, but good computer maintenance. All AV and anti-spyware
    programs are different. The more you run, the better chance you have of
    catching bad stuff.

    Julie P., May 6, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:03:47 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >If you're still interested in getting together with me, you can go over
    >my machine and tweak it.
    >--
    >Yeah we all need someone to tweak on. And if you want it babe, you can
    >tweak on me.

    Mister Mazola. ~:-Þ

    "No whipped cream for *you.*"

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, May 6, 2005
  7. Mara wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:03:47 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>If you're still interested in getting together with me, you can go over
    >>my machine and tweak it.
    >>--
    >>Yeah we all need someone to tweak on. And if you want it babe, you can
    >>tweak on me.

    > Mister Mazola. ~:-Þ
    >
    > "No whipped cream for *you.*"

    Now honey, don't be that way. You know I'm saving myself for you.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 6, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Installing multiple AV apps will cause problems and likely lead to them not
    functioning correctly.Nor will your sys function correctly. The better AV
    apps will not install if they detect another AV app on the sys. You'd be far
    better off installing one decent AV eg Kaspersky
    You can of course use all the online scans you like.

    MrGrumpy, May 6, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Caporal Guest

    The more you load those programs the more you slow down your computer also

    Caporal, May 6, 2005