computer hard locks

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by SonicMonkey, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. SonicMonkey

    SonicMonkey Guest

    Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
    it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
    have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
    have had done to it.

    Newly installed on the system

    AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
    Thermal paste

    Ultra 500W Power Supply

    Maxtor 200GB SATA HD

    And 2 case fans

    I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
    tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
    first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
    did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
    control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
    center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
    then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
    another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
    cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
    between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
    is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
    for the lack of fans

    I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
    make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
    they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
    lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
    monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
    did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
    monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
    and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
    run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
    searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
    that caused it to lock up.

    3x in game called gunbound
    2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
    1x watching a video and copying files
    4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.

    The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
    done it?

    My system
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
    AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
    Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
    ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
    Audigy Sound Card
    Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
    LG DVR Dive
    Light-on CDR drive

    I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
    reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
    get a new heat sink for my CPU?
    Thanks
    Scott
    SonicMonkey, Sep 19, 2005

  2. SonicMonkey

    Bellaw I.T. Guest

    SonicMonkey wrote:
    > Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
    > it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
    > have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
    > have had done to it.
    >
    > Newly installed on the system
    >
    > AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
    > Thermal paste
    >
    > Ultra 500W Power Supply
    >
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
    >
    > And 2 case fans
    >
    > I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
    > tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
    > first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
    > did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
    > control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
    > center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
    > then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
    > another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
    > cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
    > between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
    > is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
    > for the lack of fans
    >
    > I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
    > make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
    > they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
    > lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
    > monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
    > did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
    > monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
    > and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
    > run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
    > searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
    > that caused it to lock up.
    >
    > 3x in game called gunbound
    > 2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
    > 1x watching a video and copying files
    > 4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.
    >

    > The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
    > done it?
    >
    > My system
    > ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
    > AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
    > Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
    > ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
    > Audigy Sound Card
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
    > LG DVR Dive
    > Light-on CDR drive
    >

    > I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
    > reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
    > get a new heat sink for my CPU?
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    It sounds more like a memory lockup to me i would take out one off the
    memory cards and then run the computer on that if no lock up take the
    monery back to where u got it.if you do get a lock up try swapimg the
    memory around. or you could try a new stick and see if it locks up with
    that.... also rule of thumb is that the cpu temp should only be about 10
    degress above the mother board temp

    lawrie
    Bellaw I.T., Sep 19, 2005

  3. SonicMonkey

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "SonicMonkey" <> wrote in message

    > Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
    > it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
    > have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
    > have had done to it.
    >
    > Newly installed on the system
    >
    > AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
    > Thermal paste
    >
    > Ultra 500W Power Supply
    >
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
    >
    > And 2 case fans
    >
    > I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
    > tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
    > first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
    > did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
    > control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
    > center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
    > then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
    > another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
    > cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
    > between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
    > is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
    > for the lack of fans
    >
    > I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
    > make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
    > they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
    > lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
    > monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
    > did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
    > monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
    > and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
    > run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
    > searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
    > that caused it to lock up.
    >
    > 3x in game called gunbound
    > 2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
    > 1x watching a video and copying files
    > 4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.
    >

    > The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
    > done it?
    >
    > My system
    > ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
    > AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
    > Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
    > ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
    > Audigy Sound Card
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
    > LG DVR Dive
    > Light-on CDR drive
    >

    > I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
    > reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
    > get a new heat sink for my CPU?
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    I agree with the other poster about this quite possibly being a RAM issue.
    You could test it with memtest86(available at memtest86.com)which you
    download onto a floppy or burn onto a CD, change the boot sequennce in the
    BIOS setup(to boot from whichever you choose), then run for several hours.
    The other thing is to lower the hardware accleration rate by at least two
    notches. If it doesn't lock up, then the video card is suspect. You would
    then need to update the drivers or replace it.
    Mark Mandell, Sep 19, 2005
  4. SonicMonkey

    SonicMonkey Guest

    I ran memtest86+ 1.60 over night ran 16 runs 0 errors, I heard that
    the Marvell drivers from winupdate are flaky and to do a roll back.
    I'm going to give it a try and see how that goes

    Thanks for ur help
    Scott

    SonicMonkey, Sep 20, 2005
  5. SonicMonkey

    Robert Baer Guest

    SonicMonkey wrote:

    > Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
    > it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
    > have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
    > have had done to it.
    >
    > Newly installed on the system
    >
    > AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
    > Thermal paste
    >
    > Ultra 500W Power Supply
    >
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
    >
    > And 2 case fans
    >
    > I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
    > tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
    > first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
    > did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
    > control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
    > center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
    > then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
    > another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
    > cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
    > between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
    > is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
    > for the lack of fans
    >
    > I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
    > make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
    > they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
    > lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
    > monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
    > did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
    > monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
    > and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
    > run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
    > searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
    > that caused it to lock up.
    >
    > 3x in game called gunbound
    > 2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
    > 1x watching a video and copying files
    > 4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.
    >

    > The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
    > done it?
    >
    > My system
    > ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
    > AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
    > Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
    > ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
    > Audigy Sound Card
    > Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
    > LG DVR Dive
    > Light-on CDR drive
    >

    > I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
    > reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
    > get a new heat sink for my CPU?
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    The variation you saw for the *5V is rather bad.
    A noisy 5V can cause havoc.

    I am going to assume that the +5V is stable at these shops, which
    leads to an unusual power problem where you normally run the computer.
    To sort-of verify that, move the computer to a different site (down
    the block, or better a different part of town) and try it there.
    So, after a test or two like that, with the result of "OK there" will
    certainly point a finger at the power line where you normally run the
    computer.
    That being the case, my question would be "how many other devices are
    on that same line that has switching supplies"?
    All CFLs are in that category, and if there are a lot of them on that
    power line, you have serious power line problems.
    A number of modern "consumer electronic" items use switchers: DVD
    players, home "entertainment" systems, and many of the related components.
    Many of these damn things are "ON" all the time - just like your TV
    set and VCR.
    So, the only way to guarantee that a given device does not add its
    part to line hash, is to *unplug* it.

    Say if there are only a few on a given power line, they might add,
    BUT more than some undefined given number, the problem grows
    exponentially and can result (say if all CFLs on the line) in
    oscillation (lights flash or do wierd brillance "tricks").
    With a combination of switching devices, the results are even less
    predictable.

    What i have described is not common, but has happened in some
    industrial places - so it *might* be possible "at home".
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2005
  6. SonicMonkey

    SonicMonkey Guest

    Looks like it was the drivers for the Marvell Nic, rolled them back
    and have had no problems since

    SonicMonkey, Sep 21, 2005