    IE SP2

    Not sure what else you need to know but just ask...
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Lady Rhyanon

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    News Group, Without Any Hesitation Lady Rhyanon Wrote The Following:

    > Hi..
    >
    > When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    > Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    > longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >
    > Running Windows XP
    > 512MB memory
    > Intel Celeron Processor
    > 27.2GB free space
    > IE SP2
    >
    > Not sure what else you need to know but just ask...
    > Robin

    Wild guess, I experienced the same problem and it was due to the
    drivers for my ethernet card not being installed correctly.
    Reinstalled them and all was ok.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Old Gringo, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > News Group, Without Any Hesitation Lady Rhyanon Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> Hi..
    >>
    >> When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    >> Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    >> longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >>
    >> Running Windows XP
    >> 512MB memory
    >> Intel Celeron Processor
    >> 27.2GB free space
    >> IE SP2
    >>
    >> Not sure what else you need to know but just ask...
    >> Robin

    > Wild guess, I experienced the same problem and it was due to the
    > drivers for my ethernet card not being installed correctly.
    > Reinstalled them and all was ok.

    Ok thanks. I will try that.
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Lady Rhyanon

    Buffalo Guest

    "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote in message

    >> "Old Gringo"

    > > Wild guess, I experienced the same problem and it was due to the
    > > drivers for my ethernet card not being installed correctly.
    > > Reinstalled them and all was ok.
    > >

    > Ok thanks. I will try that.
    > Robin

    If that doesn't do it you could try End Task on different running programs just
    before shutting down. This might tell you which program is having problems
    shutting itself down.
    Buffalo, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Lady Rhyanon

    M Guest

    Sure would be nice if Windows had a shutdown log
    like some other OSs.

    M, Oct 30, 2005
  6. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    Yes, it would. If there is one in XP, I sure don't know where it is or how
    to use it..

    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Lady Rhyanon

    > Hi..
    >
    > When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    > Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    > longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >
    > Running Windows XP
    > 512MB memory
    > Intel Celeron Processor
    > 27.2GB free space
    > IE SP2
    >
    > Not sure what else you need to know but just ask...
    > Robin

    Have you recently installed a new program or a new version of a program just
    before the problem started?
    When I installed a battery backup and its program, I had a shutdown problem
    because the anti-virus tray icon and the battery backup icon were fighting each
    other to see who was last in shutting down. All I had to do was keep the
    anti-virus tray icon from appearing and the problem was solved.
    If XP shows a Close Program box when you do a ctrl-alt-del, then you can do an
    End Task on various programs to see which one is causing the problem.
    Of course, there may be other causes.
    Perhaps post in an XP newsgroup.
    Buffalo, Oct 30, 2005
  8. Lady Rhyanon

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >Hi..
    >
    >When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    >Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    >longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >
    >Running Windows XP
    >512MB memory
    >Intel Celeron Processor
    >27.2GB free space
    >IE SP2

    I had a similar problem when I used a dial-up connection. It turned
    out to be the dial-up s/w going into "not responding" mode when
    disconnecting. It might help if you manually shut down each program
    via Task Manager before shutting down Windows.

    --
    smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.
    hummingbird, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Lady Rhyanon

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:43:50 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote:

    >Yes, it would. If there is one in XP, I sure don't know where it is or how
    >to use it..

    This might help:

    1. Clear out the Event Log in Administrative tools.
    2. Change your "WaitToKill" settings in the registry (only if you're comfortable
    editing the registry.) They're set by default at 20000. Mine are set at 4000.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:43:50 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, it would. If there is one in XP, I sure don't know where it is or
    >>how
    >>to use it..

    > This might help:
    >
    > 1. Clear out the Event Log in Administrative tools.
    > 2. Change your "WaitToKill" settings in the registry (only if you're
    > comfortable
    > editing the registry.) They're set by default at 20000. Mine are set at
    > 4000.

    Ok thank you. How do I do each of those..? Can I just go to the event
    viewer and just select all/ delete?
    I am ok editing the rgistry, but where exactly is the wait to kill settings?

    Thank you very much,
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  11. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    >>Hi..
    >>
    >>When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    >>Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    >>longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >>
    >>Running Windows XP
    >>512MB memory
    >>Intel Celeron Processor
    >>27.2GB free space
    >>IE SP2

    > I had a similar problem when I used a dial-up connection. It turned
    > out to be the dial-up s/w going into "not responding" mode when
    > disconnecting. It might help if you manually shut down each program
    > via Task Manager before shutting down Windows.

    I have checked when shutting down and the ctr/alt/del shows no progs.

    Thanks,
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  12. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    > "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi..
    >>
    >> When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    >> Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    >> longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >>
    >> Running Windows XP
    >> 512MB memory
    >> Intel Celeron Processor
    >> 27.2GB free space
    >> IE SP2
    >>
    >> Not sure what else you need to know but just ask...
    >> Robin

    > Have you recently installed a new program or a new version of a program
    > just
    > before the problem started?
    > When I installed a battery backup and its program, I had a shutdown
    > problem
    > because the anti-virus tray icon and the battery backup icon were fighting
    > each
    > other to see who was last in shutting down. All I had to do was keep the
    > anti-virus tray icon from appearing and the problem was solved.
    > If XP shows a Close Program box when you do a ctrl-alt-del, then you can
    > do an
    > End Task on various programs to see which one is causing the problem.
    > Of course, there may be other causes.
    > Perhaps post in an XP newsgroup.

    I have installed PSP X last week. Actually that was around the time all
    this started. I cannot remember the exact day, but it seems like it has
    been about a week or so.
    So if I change the setting in my AVG to not show the icon in the toolbar
    maybe it would help?
    I will try that also.
    Thanks
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Lady Rhyanon

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:36:07 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >"hummingbird" <> wrote in message

    >> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    >> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >>
    >>>Hi..
    >>>
    >>>When shutting down my Compaq Presarion 5310US it tends to hang on the
    >>>Windows Is Shutting Down screen. It stays there for about 3 minutes or
    >>>longer. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
    >>>
    >>>Running Windows XP
    >>>512MB memory
    >>>Intel Celeron Processor
    >>>27.2GB free space
    >>>IE SP2

    >> I had a similar problem when I used a dial-up connection. It turned
    >> out to be the dial-up s/w going into "not responding" mode when
    >> disconnecting. It might help if you manually shut down each program
    >> via Task Manager before shutting down Windows.
    >>

    >I have checked when shutting down and the ctr/alt/del shows no progs.

    Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean that a module from some
    prog or other has got stuck and isn't being unloaded. Are you using
    dial-up perchance?

    --
    smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.
    hummingbird, Oct 30, 2005
  14. Lady Rhyanon

    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:36:07 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    >>"hummingbird" <> wrote in message

    >>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:58:22 -0400, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    >>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >>> I had a similar problem when I used a dial-up connection. It turned
    >>> out to be the dial-up s/w going into "not responding" mode when
    >>> disconnecting. It might help if you manually shut down each program
    >>> via Task Manager before shutting down Windows.
    >>>

    >>I have checked when shutting down and the ctr/alt/del shows no progs.

    > Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean that a module from some
    > prog or other has got stuck and isn't being unloaded. Are you using
    > dial-up perchance?

    Nope, Comcast hi-speed internet.
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  15. Lady Rhyanon

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:35:20 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:43:50 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, it would. If there is one in XP, I sure don't know where it is or
    >>>how
    >>>to use it..

    >> This might help:
    >>
    >> 1. Clear out the Event Log in Administrative tools.
    >> 2. Change your "WaitToKill" settings in the registry (only if you're
    >> comfortable
    >> editing the registry.) They're set by default at 20000. Mine are set at
    >> 4000.
    >>

    >Ok thank you. How do I do each of those..? Can I just go to the event
    >viewer and just select all/ delete?

    Right-click on the entries in the left-hand window and select "Clear all."

    >I am ok editing the rgistry, but where exactly is the wait to kill settings?

    In Regedit, highlight "My Computer," then click Edit/Find, and type in
    WaitToKill just as you see it here and search for them. Use Find Next after the
    first entry. The entries should be highlighted in the right-hand pane when
    Regedit finds them - right-click on them and choose Modify to change the value.
    *Do not* delete the entries. I also change the HungAppTimeout to 2000.

    This might not fix your problem depending on what the actual cause is, but it
    should help. Running something like Process Explorer and/or HijackThis to see
    what exactly *is* running would also help.

    >Thank you very much,

    YW.

    Mara, Oct 30, 2005
  16. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:35:20 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Mara" <> wrote in message

    >>> This might help:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Clear out the Event Log in Administrative tools.
    >>> 2. Change your "WaitToKill" settings in the registry (only if you're
    >>> comfortable
    >>> editing the registry.) They're set by default at 20000. Mine are set at
    >>> 4000.
    >>>

    >>Ok thank you. How do I do each of those..? Can I just go to the event
    >>viewer and just select all/ delete?

    > Right-click on the entries in the left-hand window and select "Clear all."
    >
    >>I am ok editing the rgistry, but where exactly is the wait to kill
    >>settings?

    > In Regedit, highlight "My Computer," then click Edit/Find, and type in
    > WaitToKill just as you see it here and search for them. Use Find Next
    > after the
    > first entry. The entries should be highlighted in the right-hand pane when
    > Regedit finds them - right-click on them and choose Modify to change the
    > value.
    > *Do not* delete the entries. I also change the HungAppTimeout to 2000.
    >
    > This might not fix your problem depending on what the actual cause is, but
    > it
    > should help. Running something like Process Explorer and/or HijackThis to
    > see
    > what exactly *is* running would also help.
    >
    >>Thank you very much,

    > YW.

    Again, thank you for explaining how to do these. I am in the process of
    editing the registry and will post back with the results.
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  17. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    <inline>
    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:35:20 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Mara" <> wrote in message

    >>> This might help:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Clear out the Event Log in Administrative tools.
    >>> 2. Change your "WaitToKill" settings in the registry (only if you're
    >>> comfortable
    >>> editing the registry.) They're set by default at 20000. Mine are set at
    >>> 4000.
    >>>

    >>Ok thank you. How do I do each of those..? Can I just go to the event
    >>viewer and just select all/ delete?

    > Right-click on the entries in the left-hand window and select "Clear all."
    >
    >>I am ok editing the rgistry, but where exactly is the wait to kill
    >>settings?

    > In Regedit, highlight "My Computer," then click Edit/Find, and type in
    > WaitToKill just as you see it here and search for them. Use Find Next
    > after the
    > first entry. The entries should be highlighted in the right-hand pane when
    > Regedit finds them - right-click on them and choose Modify to change the
    > value.
    > *Do not* delete the entries. I also change the HungAppTimeout to 2000.

    Ok My registry did not find an entry for HungAppTimeout. Is there another
    name it could be under?

    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  18. Lady Rhyanon

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:17:01 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >"hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:36:07 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    >> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >>
    >>>"hummingbird" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have checked when shutting down and the ctr/alt/del shows no progs.

    >> Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean that a module from some
    >> prog or other has got stuck and isn't being unloaded. Are you using
    >> dial-up perchance?
    >>

    >Nope, Comcast hi-speed internet.

    There's some stuff about the problem here: - follow the (MS) links...
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t2010.html

    --
    smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.
    hummingbird, Oct 30, 2005
  19. Lady Rhyanon

    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:17:01 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >

    >>"hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:36:07 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <>
    >>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >>> Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean that a module from some
    >>> prog or other has got stuck and isn't being unloaded. Are you using
    >>> dial-up perchance?
    >>>

    >>Nope, Comcast hi-speed internet.

    > There's some stuff about the problem here: - follow the (MS) links...
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t2010.html

    Thanks.
    Robin
    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 30, 2005
  20. Lady Rhyanon

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:39:03 -0500, "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Ok My registry did not find an entry for HungAppTimeout. Is there another
    >name it could be under?

    My first one shows at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop. They are also
    under:

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Desktop
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Desktop
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-746137067-2147083999-682003330-1003\Control Panel\Desktop

    Note: I have not been following this thread. This is for Windows XP Pro. I do
    not know which version of XP you are running. However, IIRC, the last time I
    worked on XP Home boxes, they did have those keys. I have no idea why they
    aren't coming up for you - I see the keys in the right-hand pane when I search
    for WaitToKill also. I also see WaitToKillService and change it. I also saw
    them, and changed them, in Windows 2000.

    This works great on my system. It might not on yours, so be careful. You should
    export the registry file and be prepared to import the backup should your system
    not like the changes you made.

    On a side note, you should also be running OE Quotefix on your system. I
    shouldn't be seeing my own sig in your replies.

    Mara, Oct 30, 2005