    computer is running smooth except for the fact that wen it shuts down.. It
    gets to the Windows is shutting down screen then it hangs untill i hit the
    power button to fully power it off. Any idea what could cause this?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Are you using Avast? Did you check your device Manager to see if there any
    devices that are not functioning properly? Some users have reported similar
    experiences, BIOS updates have resolved such cases.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 29, 2005

  3. Yes I am using avast 64 bit edition.. Does that have problems?.. device
    manager shows no issues. I might just flash the bios and see if that works

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Since you are running Avast, it would be more likely to be the cause than a
    BIOS issue. Is this the latest version of Avast? If not try updating to it
    to see if it fixes the shutdown hang issue.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 29, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes. It can cause shutdown problems. Some, but not all, have been able to
    overcome by using classic view and turning off fast user switching.

    John Barnes, Nov 29, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    digger440uk Guest

    Avast definitely causes shutdown problems. Just Stop on Access
    Protection before you shut down. No need to touch the BIOS.
    digger440uk, Nov 29, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Avast! works fine on x64 Edition on my laptop. It caused the hang problem
    on my x64 desktop, so I switched to eTrust 64 bit there, and I have no
    problem at all. There must be some subtle hardware/software interaction at
    work depending on the machine...

    M. Murcek, Nov 29, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sure seems that way. Especially since for most, the problem doesn't seem to
    happen every time.

    John Barnes, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Hi:
    Do you happen to have an NForce3 150 based motherboard?
    I have found some strange problems that went away when switching to an
    NForce4 based mobo.
    Also John's recommendations add to the speed when shutting down.
    Goto control panel, user accounts and disable Fast User Switching and Show
    Welcome Screen (goot tip for WinXP x86 too!)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 29, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    Dad Guest

    I also have this problem, but it doesn't do it in xp64, only xp home.
    shutting down avast didn't help either.

    Also today I tried to change my ram from the geil to ocz gold, and the
    system din't count the ram right and then I got the ntoskrnl.exe error.
    Replacing the ram back to the original solved it.

    biggdave

    AMD 3800+ x2
    MSI KN8 NEO 2 (nvidia 3 chipset)
    1 GB Geil dual channel pc 3200
    ATI x700 pro
    Dad, Nov 29, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Avast's website user forum indicates this has been a problem with every
    system since win95
    Seems to have an interaction with whatever drivers and/or processes are
    started during a session also.

    John Barnes, Nov 29, 2005
  12. No I have an ABIT AN8 Fatal1ty SLi. So its new and nforce4 chipset.. I'm
    still at class but I will try getting rid of Avast as soon as i get home.. I
    heard a good x64 edition anti-virus is NOD32.. Anyone hear of this?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=, Nov 29, 2005
  13. Avast causes absolutely NO problems when disabling "Fast User Switching" and
    "Display Welcome Screen".
    Have you tried that already?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Yes some users use NOD32. I have used it without issue and now use eTrust
    AV 7.1. Avast can be used with some Windows settings changes as noted by
    Carlos.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005
  15. I've used Trend Micro and nortons in the past and Using avast it seems like a
    amatuer program.. It doesnt seem like its doing a good job and it scans every
    file that i open, making programs load slower.. Which one in your opinion
    does the best job without interfereing with performance? Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnM=?=, Nov 30, 2005
  16. eTrust AV 7.1. No detectible perf hit at all. Do not confuse it with CA's
    other line, EZTrust, which does not work in x64. It is not a free AV
    program but is not expensive either. I got my client copy from HP for
    around $50. I chose it because it is supported by CA on x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005