    started coming up very frequently.

    Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

    , Apr 18, 2006

  2. Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
    > foll.:
    > 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
    > everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
    >
    > Machine Specs:
    > INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
    > 256 MB DDRAM
    >
    > What I tried to do-
    > 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
    > that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
    > nothing happened.
    > 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
    > ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
    > time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
    > 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
    > started coming up very frequently.
    >
    > Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

    I'll probably get bashed for this advice (hello you! YKWIM) but here
    goes.

    A while back, one of my XP boxes was forever locking up and generally
    behaving badly. I traced it to something I really didn't expect, which
    was hard disk problems. The disk was basically screwing up due to
    deteriorating clusters. I found a program called HDD Regenerator which
    you have to use by making a bootable floppy, which helped cure the
    problem to the stage where the same drives are now perfectly healthy
    with no bad clusters.

    Google for it. It's worth a go. It's bloody slow if it's a large disk
    but I left it running overnight and it found/fixed a load of bad
    clusters on a Maxtor 80GB hard drive. It worked for me, so make of that
    what you will.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Apr 18, 2006

  3. phrogee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
    > foll.:
    > 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
    > everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
    >
    > Machine Specs:
    > INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
    > 256 MB DDRAM
    >
    > What I tried to do-
    > 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
    > that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
    > nothing happened.
    > 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
    > ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
    > time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
    > 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
    > started coming up very frequently.
    >
    > Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

    Run a diagnostic test on your hard drive if you can. Sounds like it's ready
    for a long vacation.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Wintr Guest

    wrote:
    > For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
    > foll.:
    > 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
    > everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
    >
    > Machine Specs:
    > INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
    > 256 MB DDRAM
    >
    > What I tried to do-
    > 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
    > that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
    > nothing happened.
    > 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
    > ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
    > time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
    > 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
    > started coming up very frequently.
    >
    > Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

    I've had a very very recent problem just like this. Checked and changed
    everything but hard drive, but it wasnt the cause. Turned out the video
    card was failing and would cause the machine to freeze. Then it even
    made it reboot once or twice as well. Changed the video card and viola!
    everything is now hunky dory with it. So in essence it could be
    anything, graphics driver may not be to blame as in my case it was
    hardware. So I'd say check everything but I'd look to power, hard
    drive, graphics, ram, etc.etc.

    As an aside I will add that my machine too became reset/power off only.

    Wintr, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Peaches Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > For the past several days, my computer has been suffering from the
    > foll.:
    > 1) After Windows XP loads, it takes anything from 0-20 minutes for
    > everything to freeze. My only option is to press the reset button.
    >
    > Machine Specs:
    > INTEL 845 motherboard + Pentium IV 2.4 GHz processor
    > 256 MB DDRAM
    >
    > What I tried to do-
    > 1) Ran Windows in Safe Mode. Did not hang at all (but I seem to recall
    > that it did freeze once). I worked in Safe Mode for several hours and
    > nothing happened.
    > 2) Disabled a few of the drivers which are disabled in Safe Mode, and
    > ran Windows normally. Now, it does not hang/ hangs after a really long
    > time. NOTE- I disabled the Graphics driver.
    > 3) Installed Windows 98. Worked fine for a while, but then blue screens
    > started coming up very frequently.
    >
    > Please tell me what I can do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

    You seem to be messing about too much with it?
    It functioned OK for several hours in safe mode? -
    Then it's not the graphics driver that is the cause is it. I'm not following
    your logic? In safe mode nearly all software if disabled, so I would opt
    it is a software issue?
    You installed Win98? - With correct drivers and updates/patches etc? I doubt
    it.
    Have you checked msconfig for startup apps and processes?

    Peaches, Apr 18, 2006