    other than manually going through the drive and removing things one by
    one?

    paul
    paulB, Apr 8, 2006

  2. paulB

    SJP Guest

    "paulB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite full.
    > i'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's getting a
    > bit full. i once used a prog that was supposed to safely remove
    > duplicates and unused programs and ended up having to reinstall XP
    > losing some of my daughter's stuff in the process (big trouble). can
    > anyone tell me a safe and not too difficult way of slimming it down
    > other than manually going through the drive and removing things one by
    > one?
    >
    > paul

    So whats it "full" of ? whats "daughter's stuff "
    If its music/photos/movies then get an external harddrive and move them to
    that
    SJP, Apr 8, 2006

  3. paulB

    old man Guest

    Try Disk Cleanup
    Use Add/remove dialogue to uninstall apps no longer used / wanted
    Do not manually remove anything, other than data files, usually found in My
    Documents
    Unless you *know exactly what your doing* do *not* use any apps that are
    supposed to clean up your sys
    Lastly buy a new hd and install as slave

    old man, Apr 8, 2006
  4. paulB

    1 of 1 Guest

    "paulB" <> wrote in message
    >i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite full.
    > i'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's getting a
    > bit full. i once used a prog that was supposed to safely remove
    > duplicates and unused programs and ended up having to reinstall XP
    > losing some of my daughter's stuff in the process (big trouble). can
    > anyone tell me a safe and not too difficult way of slimming it down
    > other than manually going through the drive and removing things one by
    > one?
    >
    > paul

    Programs such as ccleaner don't remove unused programs, they just clean up
    all your built up junk files/folders. ccleaner is freeware.
    1 of 1, Apr 8, 2006
  5. paulB

    philo Guest

    old man wrote:
    > Try Disk Cleanup
    > Use Add/remove dialogue to uninstall apps no longer used / wanted
    > Do not manually remove anything, other than data files, usually found in My
    > Documents
    > Unless you *know exactly what your doing* do *not* use any apps that are
    > supposed to clean up your sys
    > Lastly buy a new hd and install as slave

    <snip>

    good advice!

    also:
    if it's a desktop and you do not need to hybernate...turn off that feature.
    also...you can reduce the size of your temp. internet cache by quite a
    bit without hurting anything (especially if on a high speed connection)

    one other thing would be to reduce the size of system restore
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  6. paulB

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before paulB decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite
    > full. i'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's
    > getting a bit full. i once used a prog that was supposed to safely
    > remove duplicates and unused programs and ended up having to
    > reinstall XP losing some of my daughter's stuff in the process (big
    > trouble). can anyone tell me a safe and not too difficult way of
    > slimming it down other than manually going through the drive and
    > removing things one by one?
    >
    > paul

    Get a bit of fucking discipline !! Tell the kids that their stuff can
    disappear if THEY don't back it up elsewhere. Tell yourself the same thing.

    If you don't let the thing get full of junk you wouldn't have to ask for
    help.
    --
    slumpy
    tradelist and images - http://tinyurl.com/devgk
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  7. paulB

    old man Guest

    And it also causes problems if you dont know *exactly* what you are removing

    old man, Apr 8, 2006
  8. paulB

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    >>paul

    > Get a bit of fucking discipline !! Tell the kids that their stuff can
    > disappear if THEY don't back it up elsewhere. Tell yourself the same thing.
    >
    > If you don't let the thing get full of junk you wouldn't have to ask for
    > help.

    Don;t you think it's just better to support the economy
    and purchase a six pack of 500gig HD's? <g>
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  9. paulB

    PC Guest

    "paulB" <> wrote in message
    >i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite full.
    > i'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's getting a
    > bit full. i once used a prog that was supposed to safely remove
    > duplicates and unused programs and ended up having to reinstall XP
    > losing some of my daughter's stuff in the process (big trouble). can
    > anyone tell me a safe and not too difficult way of slimming it down
    > other than manually going through the drive and removing things one by
    > one?
    >
    > paul

    Paul

    There is a rather neat little freeware program called Sequoia View
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ that gives you a visual represenatation
    of what is using your hard drive space.

    Once it has scanned your drive it comes up with a picture full of squares
    and oblongs.
    Pointing at each square/oblong shows you what the file is that that square
    represents.
    Toggling the colour button on groups squares by their folders or file type
    in an Artificial Intelligence sort of way.

    Other than that I would not place to much faith in duplicate finders.
    As you have found it is difficult to determine which duplicate can go, or
    even if a duplicate can go.
    Use the cleanup utility for your hard drive by right clicking on the drive,
    properties, disk cleanup button.
    You could also look at Internet Explorer, tools, Internet options, delete
    files and delete cookies buttons in the middle of the general page. While
    you are there go into the settings button and drop the disk space used to
    something less than 20MB.

    As for your daughters data, sounds like it's time for a chat about
    'personal' responsibility.
    Her data, she know's what data is hers, you don't her responsibility to back
    it up.
    Computers are well known for loosing data, but then like all kids it takes a
    several brick wall lessons to get the message home sometimes.

    Best luck.
    Paul.
    PC, Apr 8, 2006
  10. paulB

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > <snip>
    > > > paul

    > > Get a bit of fucking discipline !! Tell the kids that their stuff
    > > can disappear if THEY don't back it up elsewhere. Tell yourself the
    > > same thing.
    > >
    > > If you don't let the thing get full of junk you wouldn't have to
    > > ask for help.

    > Don;t you think it's just better to support the economy
    > and purchase a six pack of 500gig HD's? <g>

    No, that encourages indiscipline - I have 940Gb on this machine, all but one
    drive is full, totally full, but I know exactly what is on what drive, and
    where to find stuff.
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  11. paulB

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    >>Don;t you think it's just better to support the economy
    >>and purchase a six pack of 500gig HD's? <g>

    > No, that encourages indiscipline - I have 940Gb on this machine, all but one
    > drive is full, totally full, but I know exactly what is on what drive, and
    > where to find stuff.

    I've got a friend who's currently got his machine setup in my basement...
    he's a professional photographer (who lost his studio)

    he also has just under 1T bite worth of HD's

    after I had to recover data from a few drives that started to fail...
    I taught him the value of a DVD burner...
    He can't wait 'til I put in a 500gig drive...
    But I *can* wait until he comes up with the $$$$ first !
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  12. paulB

    paulB Guest

    thank yo, that was really helpfull!
    paulB, Apr 8, 2006
  13. "PC" <> wrote

    > "paulB" wrote...
    >>i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite
    >>full.I 'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's
    >>getting a bit full. i once used a prog that was supposed to safely
    >>remove duplicates and unused programs and ended up having to
    >>reinstall XP losing some of my daughter's stuff in the process (big
    >>trouble). can anyone tell me a safe and not too difficult way of
    >>limming it down other than manually going through the drive and
    >>removing things one by one?
    >>
    >> paul

    > Paul
    >
    > There is a rather neat little freeware program called Sequoia View
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ that gives you a visual
    > represenatation of what is using your hard drive space.
    >
    > Once it has scanned your drive it comes up with a picture full of
    > squares and oblongs. Pointing at each square/oblong shows you what
    > the file is that that square represents. Toggling the colour button
    > on groups squares by their folders or file type in an Artificial
    > Intelligence sort of way.
    >
    > Other than that I would not place to much faith in duplicate
    > finders. As you have found it is difficult to determine which
    > duplicate can go, or even if a duplicate can go. Use the cleanup
    > utility for your hard drive by right clicking on the drive,
    > properties, disk cleanup button. You could also look at Internet
    > Explorer, tools, Internet options, delete files and delete cookies
    > buttons in the middle of the general page. While you are there go
    > into the settings button and drop the disk space used to something
    > less than 20MB.
    >
    > As for your daughters data, sounds like it's time for a chat about
    > 'personal' responsibility. Her data, she know's what data is hers,
    > you don't her responsibility to back it up. Computers are well known
    > for loosing data, but then like all kids it takes a several brick
    > wall lessons to get the message home sometimes.
    >
    > Best luck.
    > Paul.

    This program does essentially the same thing, but it is easier for me
    to see.

    Scanner 2.8

    http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 8, 2006
  14. paulB

    ellis_jay Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "paulB" <> wrote in message
    >> i have a computer with a 120 gB hard drive which is getting quite
    >> full. i'm not very disciplined about what goes on to it and it's
    >> getting a bit full.

    > There is a rather neat little freeware program called Sequoia View
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ that gives you a visual
    > represenatation of what is using your hard drive space.

    Thanx PC

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 8, 2006
  15. paulB

    PC Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > "PC" <> wrote
    >
    >> "paulB" wrote...

    snip

    > This program does essentially the same thing, but it is easier for me
    > to see.
    >
    > Scanner 2.8
    >
    > http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

    snip

    Nice little app.
    Thanks Rosee that's gone into my utilities folder

    Paul.
    PC, Apr 8, 2006
  16. paulB

    ellis_jay Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    >> "PC" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> "paulB" wrote...

    > snip
    >

    >> This program does essentially the same thing, but it is easier for me
    >> to see.
    >>
    >> Scanner 2.8
    >>
    >> http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/
    >>

    > snip
    >

    > Nice little app.
    > Thanks Rosee that's gone into my utilities folder
    >
    > Paul.

    Me too. Mine too.

    ellis_jay, Apr 9, 2006
  17. "PC" <> wrote news:f%WZf.11964$:

    > "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote...

    <schnippen>
    >> This program does essentially the same thing, but it is easier for me
    >> to see.
    >>
    >> Scanner 2.8
    >>
    >> http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

    > snip

    > Nice little app.
    > Thanks Rosee that's gone into my utilities folder
    >
    > Paul.

    You're welcome....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 9, 2006
  18. "ellis_jay" <> wrote

    > PC wrote:

    >> "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote...

    <schnippen>
    >>> This program does essentially the same thing, but it is easier for me
    >>> to see.
    >>>
    >>> Scanner 2.8
    >>>
    >>> http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

    >> snip

    >> Nice little app.
    >> Thanks Rosee that's gone into my utilities folder
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > Me too. Mine too.

    You're welcome....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 9, 2006
  19. paulB

    paulB Guest

    thanks. i've been able to recover loads of space now i can see what's
    on the damn machine!
    paulB, Apr 15, 2006