Computer freezing problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by H.Henkler, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. H.Henkler

    H.Henkler Guest

    Hello,

    I keep having "freezing" problems with my (6 month old) computer.

    The system:
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 - Intel Pentium 4 / 3.40 MHz - 1.25
    GB RAM -
    NVIDIA GeForce 6610 XL - WDC WD 2500 JD-00HBB0 hard disk.

    The problem:
    The computer "freezes" at random , i.e. whatever application is running, if any - the
    monitor screen "freezes", keyboard and mouse become inactive. I have to switch off the
    power line and restart/reboot in order to make the system work again. Strangely, there
    are days, when the PC works OK, but there are also days or even hours, when the
    "freezing" occurs several times in a row.
    Sometimes restarting and rebooting by just pressing the start button works fine, but
    sometimes the system freezes at the Pentium 4 logo already and it is necessary to switch
    power off and on.

    The on-site service has already exchanged the motherboard, all RAMS and the Pentium 4
    processor, to no avail.

    Questions:
    Can this be caused by the 250 GB hard disk?
    Can this be caused be the power supply unit? (my suspicion)
    What else could cause the problem?

    Thank you in advance for any helpful reply.
    Herb Henkler

    H.Henkler, Jun 4, 2005

  2. H.Henkler

    mark mandel Guest

    "H.Henkler" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I keep having "freezing" problems with my (6 month old) computer.
    >
    > The system:
    > Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 - Intel Pentium 4 /

    3.40 MHz - 1.25
    > GB RAM -
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6610 XL - WDC WD 2500 JD-00HBB0 hard disk.
    >
    > The problem:
    > The computer "freezes" at random , i.e. whatever application is running,

    if any - the
    > monitor screen "freezes", keyboard and mouse become inactive. I have to

    switch off the
    > power line and restart/reboot in order to make the system work again.

    Strangely, there
    > are days, when the PC works OK, but there are also days or even hours,

    when the
    > "freezing" occurs several times in a row.
    > Sometimes restarting and rebooting by just pressing the start button works

    fine, but
    > sometimes the system freezes at the Pentium 4 logo already and it is

    necessary to switch
    > power off and on.
    >
    > The on-site service has already exchanged the motherboard, all RAMS and

    the Pentium 4
    > processor, to no avail.
    >
    > Questions:
    > Can this be caused by the 250 GB hard disk?
    > Can this be caused be the power supply unit? (my suspicion)
    > What else could cause the problem?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any helpful reply.
    > Herb Henkler

    Spyware certainly. If you don't already have on your drive, download Ad
    Aware, Spybot S & D,(go to www.majorgeeks.com to find) but since you have
    XP, the recent Microsoft Beta Version anti-spyware program is pretty
    thorough.

    mark mandel, Jun 4, 2005

  3. H.Henkler

    Guest

    freezing can be a standard function of windows xp when it crashes.
    (i'm serious)

    you can choose whether to freeze or restart. It's instead of the blue
    screen - which rarely appears now

    ctrl panel..system..advanced..stasrtup and recovery settings (see the
    option?)

    Look at event viewer and see if there's a red/write cross around the
    time your comp froze. Double click it and it gives youa short
    description of the crash that hints to a solution and gives you
    material to google.

    If you are motivated enough to change the RAM and CPU. Then you should
    realise that as a last resort, reinstalling windows may fix it.

    There is software to view PSU voltages(I think it's called speedfan).
    See if they're normal.

    My first suspicion is windows being stupid. So check the event viewer
    for crashes listed (crosses) and if there is any info about the crash.
    Second suspicion is PSU.
    Third suspicion is windows!

    CPU overheating could cause a crash. Check the CPU temperature. See if
    it keeps rising. Look at it in the BIOS or with some software like
    ''motherboard monitor'.

    , Jun 12, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > freezing can be a standard function of windows xp when it crashes.
    > (i'm serious)
    >
    > you can choose whether to freeze or restart. It's instead of the blue
    > screen - which rarely appears now
    >
    > ctrl panel..system..advanced..stasrtup and recovery settings (see the
    > option?)
    >
    > Look at event viewer and see if there's a red/write cross around the
    > time your comp froze. Double click it and it gives youa short
    > description of the crash that hints to a solution and gives you
    > material to google.
    >
    > If you are motivated enough to change the RAM and CPU. Then you should
    > realise that as a last resort, reinstalling windows may fix it.
    >
    > There is software to view PSU voltages(I think it's called speedfan).
    > See if they're normal.
    >
    > My first suspicion is windows being stupid. So check the event viewer
    > for crashes listed (crosses) and if there is any info about the crash.
    > Second suspicion is PSU.
    > Third suspicion is windows!
    >
    > CPU overheating could cause a crash. Check the CPU temperature. See if
    > it keeps rising. Look at it in the BIOS or with some software like
    > ''motherboard monitor'.

    I would help you,

    I can sugest you to try a linux version that boot completely from a CD ROM
    and you may not install anything on you're drive. Like "Knoppix", Suse Live
    CD... Just try it with another OS, to view how bad (oeps) MS Window$ is,
    try it a view if you have the same problem on Linux as on Microsoft. I
    think that can help you to wish if is the Windows configuration are bad.

    --
    David Van Mosselbeen - DVM
    http://dvm.zapto.org:3333

    David Van Mosselbeen, Jun 16, 2005
  5. H.Henkler

    Big Black Guest

    Try keeping the machine in a warmer location. Ususally heat will keep
    things from freezing! (meant as humor, not to be taken seriously)

    Big Black, Jun 18, 2005