    --
    From The
    Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington
    msyjsy, Sep 16, 2003

  2. msyjsy

    V Guest

    Which operating system are you using? This sounds like you are running
    Windows 98/98SE and you most likely have had your pc on for a long period of
    time, possibly running the screen saver as well.

    Chris

    --
    Great Stock Market Trading Game
    You can Even WIN CASH Prizes!
    "msyjsy" <> wrote in message
    > Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources,

    but
    > when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I

    cont\alt\del
    > to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
    > that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
    > once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the

    next
    > click of anything.
    > I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point

    > have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
    > I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
    > that initiates this problem, didn't work.
    > I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has

    on
    > other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything

    is

    V, Sep 16, 2003

  3. msyjsy

    Wal Guest

    "msyjsy" <> wrote in message
    > Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources,

    but
    > when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I

    cont\alt\del
    > to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
    > that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
    > once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the

    next
    > click of anything.
    > I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point

    > have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
    > I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
    > that initiates this problem, didn't work.
    > I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has

    on
    > other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything

    is
    > still as it was prior.
    > HELP.
    >
    > --
    > From The
    > Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington

    When you uninstall early versions of Word it leaves behind the INI file
    which has all of your Word settings so when you reinstall nothing has
    changed.
    I do not known if recent versions do the same but I think they probably do.
    So after you uninstall try renaming rather than deleting, to be on the safe
    side, any MSoffice or Word ini file and reinstall.

    However before you do that check how much free space you have on the drive
    with your window swap file, probably C, even if Word is installed on another
    drive. Low resources can mean that there is not enough free disk space left
    for your windows swap file to grow as large as it needs to. Maybe
    all you need to do is to free up some disk space on drive C.

    Good luck
    Wal

    Wal, Sep 16, 2003
  4. msyjsy

    zim Guest

    This happened to one of my users lately. It occured because of a corrupt
    Normal template. I deleted her Normal.dot template and restarted the
    computer. Word recreated the Normal template and worked fine...low system
    resources errors also went away.

    Do a file search for "Normal.dot" on the computer. When you find it, rename
    it to "oldnormal.dot" and then restart the computer and start Word. See if
    this helps.

    PK

    zim, Sep 16, 2003
  5. msyjsy

    Exiddor Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:08:00 GMT, msyjsy wrote:

    > Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources, but
    > when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I cont\alt\del
    > to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
    > that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
    > once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the next
    > click of anything.

    This problem is usually caused by a corrupt file "normal.dot". See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307814

    --
    Exiddor.
    Exiddor, Sep 17, 2003