Computer freezes up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Holmes, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
    > wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
    > rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
    > ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do
    > a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC
    > Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to
    > do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out there?

    The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU fan.
    The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the problem
    points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check the fans and
    use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 21, 2008

  2. John Holmes

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:31:46 -0700, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
    >run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee
    >and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know was
    >good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean install I was
    >just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or some other PC fix
    >it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean install anyway. what
    >would be the best one out there?

    Assuming this is a Windows machine of some sort.. Have you checked the
    event viewer for errors?

    How many sticks of memory? Try removing one, and then potentially
    swapping to see if you have a bad stick.

    Run the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which can
    check for memory errors.

    Evan Platt, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Richard wrote:

    > Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up

    It is because your clock is off.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2008
  4. On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:31:46 -0700, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
    >run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee
    >and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know was
    >good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean install I was
    >just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or some other PC fix
    >it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean install anyway. what
    >would be the best one out there?

    Check the CPU temperature before you start reinstalling everything.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
    EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com

    Richard, Sep 21, 2008
  6. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in

    > Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
    >> wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
    >> rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
    >> ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do
    >> a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC
    >> Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to
    >> do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out there?
    >>

    > The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
    > fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
    > problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check the
    > fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

    Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the computer to
    a crawl.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2008
  7. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in

    > Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
    > run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of
    > McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I
    > know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean
    > install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or
    > some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean
    > install anyway. what would be the best one out there?

    Disable startup completely to see if this fixes the problem. And then try
    enabling lines one by one to find out what is corrupted if it fixes it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2008
  8. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes <> wrote in
    >
    >> Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
    >>> wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
    >>> rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
    >>> ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I
    >>> do a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something
    >>> like PC Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm
    >>> going to do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out
    >>> there?
    >>>

    >> The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
    >> fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
    >> problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check
    >> the fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.
    >>

    > Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the
    > computer to a crawl.

    The OP never mentioned a slow startup or slowing the computer to a crawl.
    The problem is a "freezing" computer.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 21, 2008
  9. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in

    > chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
    >>> fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
    >>> problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check
    >>> the fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.
    >>>

    >> Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the
    >> computer to a crawl.
    >>

    > The OP never mentioned a slow startup or slowing the computer to a
    > crawl. The problem is a "freezing" computer.

    Yes, but that term is used to talk about a computer that's running very
    slowly. You can see the reason I'm sure. Put 20 programs in your startup
    if you want to see it. I've taken calls in the past where that term was
    used - numerous times. It *really* is the biggest problem people have with
    windows since 3.11.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 22, 2008
  10. On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:15:26 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty aided th'
    terraists with the following claims :

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up

    > It is because your clock is off.

    Naw, move it to a warmer room in the house, eh?

    §ñühwØ£f, Sep 22, 2008
  11. §ñühwØ£f <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:15:26 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty aided th'
    > terraists with the following claims :
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up

    >> It is because your clock is off.

    > Naw, move it to a warmer room in the house, eh?

    That always makes my clock run faster.

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approved this message!

    http://a-little-pussy-makes-me-happy.notlong.com/

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 22, 2008
  12. John Holmes

    Matt Guest

    Clock being off will have no bearing...
    Your best bet is to probably scan for spyware... Do it through safe mode
    may remove a bit more.
    Check to see what is running when you startup by running the msconfig
    command as well...

    "Bucky Breeder" <.007> wrote in
    message news:Xns9B2170E876629BuckyGram@216.151.153.34...

    Matt, Sep 22, 2008
  13. "Matt" <> wrote in

    > "Bucky Breeder" wrote...
    >
    >> §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty claims :

    >>> Naw, move it to a warmer room in the house, eh?

    >> That always makes my clock run faster.
    >>

    > Clock being off will have no bearing...
    > Your best bet is to probably scan for spyware... Do it through safe
    > mode may remove a bit more.
    > Check to see what is running when you startup by running the msconfig
    > command as well...

    Tried that but reformatted first. Now how do I get my IE5 to play those
    midi's when the stripper animations over my Start button begin dancing
    again?

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 22, 2008
  14. Matt wrote:

    > Clock being off will have no bearing...

    Of course not. I'm sorry you didn't recognize the humor.

    'Course, since Richard hasn't been back to the thread yet, I suppose we
    can guess that his computer is now frozen solid.

    Please don't top-post.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2008
  15. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Clock being off will have no bearing...

    > Of course not. I'm sorry you didn't recognize the humor.
    >
    > 'Course, since Richard hasn't been back to the thread yet, I suppose we
    > can guess that his computer is now frozen solid.

    Or eating popcicles. Don't they come with the FEMA food packages?

    Bucky Breeder, Sep 22, 2008
  16. John Holmes

    Plato Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
    > run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee

    When was the last time you took off the cover and got rid of all the
    dust on the cpu fan, the cpu heatsink, and the case fans?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 22, 2008
  17. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> John Holmes <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> The OP never mentioned a slow startup or slowing the computer to a
    >>> crawl. The problem is a "freezing" computer.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but that term is used to talk about a computer that's running very
    >> slowly. You can see the reason I'm sure. Put 20 programs in your
    >> startup if you want to see it. I've taken calls in the past where that
    >> term was used - numerous times. It *really* is the biggest problem
    >> people have with windows since 3.11.
    >>

    > So which part of "I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know
    > was good and I'm still having problems." in the original post are you
    > having trouble understanding?

    None. He didn't say that there were no programs in startup in that image.
    Along with corruption due to human lack of patience, buggy programs *in*
    startup and elsewhere, such things can happen *much* faster. I can make a
    windows computer completely unusable in a couple of hours after a clean
    install without *anything* in startup or even installing anything other
    than windows itself. Have you used Flash 9? Try it on isohunt. Not a
    startup program I know, but there's a *lot* of crappy software out there
    that is commonly used.

    However that all being said, removing PCI SCSI ESDI and MFM in enum, doing
    a scanreg/fix and rebooting to see what illegal operations crop up to see
    what files remain corrupted would be a good start without *any* actual
    error messages (of which I'm sure there were) to go on.

    The first to fix any vxd errors and corrupted drivers, the second for
    illegal operations and page faults.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 23, 2008
  18. John Holmes

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> So which part of "I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know
    >> was good and I'm still having problems." in the original post are you
    >> having trouble understanding?

    > doing
    >a scanreg/fix and rebooting to see what illegal operations crop up to see
    >what files remain corrupted would be a good start without *any* actual
    >error messages (of which I'm sure there were) to go on.

    No, your answer would be you know nothing about a NT OS,

    First scandisk now scanreg your really screwing up folks with bad
    advice.
    --

    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/img/2007/oct07-02-1280.jpg

    , Sep 24, 2008
  19. John Holmes

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>> So which part of "I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know
    >>> was good and I'm still having problems." in the original post are you
    >>> having trouble understanding?

    >> doing
    >>a scanreg/fix and rebooting to see what illegal operations crop up to
    >>see what files remain corrupted would be a good start without *any*
    >>actual error messages (of which I'm sure there were) to go on.

    > No, your answer would be you know nothing about a NT OS,
    >
    > First scandisk now scanreg your really screwing up folks with bad
    > advice.

    Now you're just being a complete troll. Fine you want it, you got it.
    Either post *proof* that removing keys under the *moved* enum in regedit
    under XP does nothing. If you don't, my advice stands without being
    disproved and you're just a blowhard with an overly sensitive ego. And
    yes scanreg *does* work in XP. I've done it in safe mode command prompt
    only. Windows then rebooted all on it's own. And it's different than
    letting the OS do it's equivalent. Oh, yes. Give proof that microsoft
    *removed* scandisk *completely* from XP - not just scandiskw mind you, but
    both versions.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 24, 2008
  20. John Holmes

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in

    >>> doing
    >>>a scanreg/fix and rebooting to see what illegal operations crop up to
    >>>see what files remain corrupted would be a good start without *any*
    >>>actual error messages (of which I'm sure there were) to go on.

    >> No, your answer would be you know nothing about a NT OS,
    >>
    >> First scandisk now scanreg your really screwing up folks with bad
    >> advice.

    >Now you're just being a complete troll. Fine you want it, you got it.
    >Either post *proof* that removing keys under the *moved* enum in regedit
    >under XP does nothing. If you don't, my advice stands without being
    >disproved and you're just a blowhard with an overly sensitive ego. And
    >yes scanreg *does* work in XP. I've done it in safe mode command prompt
    >only. Windows then rebooted all on it's own. And it's different than
    >letting the OS do it's equivalent. Oh, yes. Give proof that microsoft
    >*removed* scandisk *completely* from XP - not just scandiskw mind you, but
    >both versions.

    There is no scandisk or scanreg in XP, so no matter what B.S. you come
    up with the OP can't do it.

    Proof? Google for it, en.wikipedia.org has an entry for scandisk
    --

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentjon/2607101042/

    , Sep 24, 2008