Computer Freezes Then Won't Restart

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stickems., Apr 10, 2007.

  1. Stickems.

    Stickems. Guest

    See if it will start up normally in safe mode, it could be a virus.

    Stickems., Apr 10, 2007

  2. Stickems.

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:41 -0800, Larry Wagner wrote:

    > I have a home computer that periodically but not always locks up
    > completely when it reaches the Windows XP Home login screen. When this
    > happens, the only way to turn off the computer is with the power strip.
    > Even pressing the on/off button for several minutes will not work.
    > Then, when I turn off the computer with the power strip, the computer
    > won't switch back on for 5 to 10 minutes. By not switch on, I mean that
    > absolutely nothing happens when you press on the power switch on the
    > computer, even if you keep the switch depressed for several seconds.
    > After that amount of time, the computer will switch back on and usually
    > will then boot on up normally, but last night I had to go through this
    > cycle 3 times before the computer would finally boot normally.
    >
    > I had thought the freeze up on boot might be the result of an IRQ
    > problem, so I changed the computer over from an ACPI PC to a Standard
    > PC, and then let the computer re-recognize and assign IRQ's to all of
    > its components. This went without a hitch, but did not resolve the
    > problem. It can't be an overheating problem, because the problem
    > happens the first time you try to boot the computer after it has been
    > off for several hours. In fact, it will run all day long without any
    > problem once it boots normally.
    >
    > I am at a loss, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Larry

    Could be a failing power supply unit. If you can snag another to use as a
    sub then try it.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Stickems.

    Larry Wagner Guest

    Larry Wagner, Apr 10, 2007
  4. Stickems.

    lkboop Guest

    Larry Wagner wrote:
    > I have a home computer that periodically but not always locks up
    > completely when it reaches the Windows XP Home login screen. When this
    > happens, the only way to turn off the computer is with the power strip.
    > Even pressing the on/off button for several minutes will not work.
    > Then, when I turn off the computer with the power strip, the computer
    > won't switch back on for 5 to 10 minutes. By not switch on, I mean that
    > absolutely nothing happens when you press on the power switch on the
    > computer, even if you keep the switch depressed for several seconds.
    > After that amount of time, the computer will switch back on and usually
    > will then boot on up normally, but last night I had to go through this
    > cycle 3 times before the computer would finally boot normally.
    >
    > I had thought the freeze up on boot might be the result of an IRQ
    > problem, so I changed the computer over from an ACPI PC to a Standard
    > PC, and then let the computer re-recognize and assign IRQ's to all of
    > its components. This went without a hitch, but did not resolve the
    > problem. It can't be an overheating problem, because the problem
    > happens the first time you try to boot the computer after it has been
    > off for several hours. In fact, it will run all day long without any
    > problem once it boots normally.
    >
    > I am at a loss, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Larry

    You are describing the classic case of a capacitor in the power supply
    going bad. The reason that it won't start is because its a switching
    power supply and it is hung up in one state and doesn't reset except
    after a prolonged power off condition.

    You also need to look at the capacitors on the mother board (swelling,
    split or anything else that looks strange)

    Good Luck

    lkboop, Apr 10, 2007