Computer freezes, system first, mouse second.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by saychpower@yahoo.com, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I bought this refurbished Dell XPS M1210 laptop a couple of months
    ago, installed my own copy of Windows XP Pro on it. It works fine for
    most of the time, but sometimes, my computer just crashes. It happened
    probably
    about five times already, and it's always the same symptom. My
    computer stops functioning first, doesn't take any inputs and no reply
    for mouse clicks or keystrokes, but my mouse cursur moves around for a
    while, like 5 to 10 seconds, and then the computer completely freezes,
    eventually locking up the mouse too. I ran full diagnostic test of the
    hardware; no error. I reinstalled Windows; the problem didn't go
    away.

    After few weeks, I noticed my hard drive was making intermittent
    grinding sound.
    I've recorded some of those noises and you can listen to it:

    http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding.wav
    http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding Short.wav

    The sound was coming from where the hard drive and a fan is placed in
    my system. But it definitely sounded like an almost dying hard drive
    racket rather than fan grinding noise. So I thought it was probably
    the hard drive that was giving me all this trouble, so I ranted about
    my hard drive to Dell Tech Support, eventually got a replacement
    for my hard drive (refurbished one).

    So with this second hard drive, I again reinstalled Windows, and
    viola ... the problem didn't go away. The second one was making
    slightly different noises but nevertheless similar grinding noise to
    the first one. I was guessing it's only because they were of different
    manufacturer that they were making slightly different sounds. So I
    thought it was just a mere coincedence that I got two really bad hard
    drives, which was likely because they were probably both refurbished,
    so maybe getting a brand new hard drive would fix the problem.

    So I went to Best Buy and bought a brand new Western Digital hard
    drive. Again, reinstall Windows blah blah blah. And ... still stuck
    with the same problem with that noise still coming from my hard
    drive.

    I just feel like tear off my head, literally, at this point.

    I'll be gratefull for any suggestions or help.

    , Apr 29, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I've recorded some of those noises and you can listen to it:
    >
    >http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding.wav
    >http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding Short.wav
    >
    >The sound was coming from where the hard drive and a fan is placed in
    >my system. But it definitely sounded like an almost dying hard drive
    >racket rather than fan grinding noise. So I thought it was probably
    >the hard drive that was giving me all this trouble, so I ranted about
    >my hard drive to Dell Tech Support, eventually got a replacement
    >for my hard drive (refurbished one).
    >
    >So with this second hard drive, I again reinstalled Windows, and
    >viola ... the problem didn't go away. The second one was making
    >slightly different noises but nevertheless similar grinding noise to
    >the first one. I was guessing it's only because they were of different
    >manufacturer that they were making slightly different sounds. So I
    >thought it was just a mere coincedence that I got two really bad hard
    >drives, which was likely because they were probably both refurbished,
    >so maybe getting a brand new hard drive would fix the problem.

    >So I went to Best Buy and bought a brand new Western Digital hard
    >drive. Again, reinstall Windows blah blah blah. And ... still stuck
    >with the same problem with that noise still coming from my hard
    >drive.

    Three drives making the same sound, mount the hard drive somewhere
    else and see if that makes a difference.

    If you hard drive were failing it would sound like this:
    http://tinyurl.com/34y47

    --

    http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm

    , Apr 30, 2007