computer freezes, system first, mouse second

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by saychpower@yahoo.com, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Here's my story:

    I bought this refurbished Dell XPS M1210 laptop a couple of months
    ago,
    installed my own copy of Windows XP Pro on it. It works fine for most
    of the time, but sometimes, my computer just crashes. It happened
    probably
    about five times already, and it's always the same symptom.
    My computer stops functioning first, doesn't take any inputs and no
    reply for
    mouse clicks or keystrokes, but my mouse cursur moves around for a
    while, like
    5 to 10 seconds, and then the computer completely freezes, eventually
    locking
    up the mouse too. I ran full diagnostic test of the hardware; no
    error. I reinstalled
    Windows; the problem didn't go away.

    After few weeks, I noticed my hard drive was making intermittent
    grinding sound.
    I've recorded some of those noises and you can listen to it:

    http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding.wav
    http://www.quarsai.wo.to/Grinding Short.wav

    The sound was coming from where the hard drive and a fan is placed in
    my system.
    But it definitely sounded like an almost dying hard drive racket
    rather than fan grinding
    noise. So I thought it was probably the hard drive that was giving me
    all this trouble,
    so I ranted about my hard drive to Dell Tech Support, eventually got a
    replacement
    for my hard drive (refurbished one).

    So with this second hard drive, I again reinstalled Windows, and
    viola ...
    the problem didn't go away. The second one was making slightly
    different noises
    but nevertheless similar grinding noise to the first one. I was
    guessing it's only
    because they were of different manufacturer that they were making
    slightly
    different sounds. So I thought it was just a mere coincedence that I
    got two
    really bad hard drives, which was likely because they were probably
    both refurbished,
    so maybe getting a brand new hard drive would fix the problem.

    So I went to Best Buy and bought a brand new Western Digital hard
    drive.
    Again, reinstall Windows blah blah blah. And ... still stuck with the
    same problem
    with that noise still coming from my hard drive.

    I just feel like tear off my head, literally, at this point.

    Any suggestions and help would be gratefull.

    , Apr 29, 2007