Computer Freezes Randomly

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by Alien x, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. Alien x

    Alien x

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Hello users.

    I have a problem that is making me go crazy
    i can be surfing the web, playing games, or even chatting with friends
    on IM, and sometimes my PC will randomly freeze out of the blue
    and if i push my processors to a higher limit, i get blue screen of death.
    I was wondering if anyone here can help me, i am really stumped.

    I could be watching a video or something and everything just locks up
    100% no regaining it back, no CTRL alt del, or anything.
    so i have to reset the PC.

    I have

    Intel core 2 quad q6600 2.57GHz
    2gb ram ocZ ddr2 SLI
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 512MB GS
    2x 150 GB western digital
    Biostar G31-M7 motherboard
    Antec 500 Watt PSU
    4 80mm 3 speed fans
    Windows XP SP3
    Other HD has Windows Vista Ult 64

    Please help, thanks - Todd

    Alien x, Dec 27, 2008

  2. Alien x

    technoplume

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2009
    Messages:
    55
    Hi Todd, I have seen this problem in 3 different style. 1st one was an IDE cable that for some reason became defective over time. 2nd, it was my vid card heat sink that became loose and did'nt touch the whole core. I had to reaply some thermal grease and fix the heatsink back in to place. And last Bad RAM. Unfortunately every time I had bad RAM the MOBO also got damage so I had to chage both. I hope this will not be the case for u. I would also check the CPU for overheat like the vid card, cleaning it and putting new thermal grease on it. Don't put to much cause the grease can become your worse enemy.

    technoplume, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Alien x

    jaspermeeks@comcast.net

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Messages:
    6
    Todd, also defrag your disk drive. You may have too many files that are fragmented which will slow you down.

    jaspermeeks@comcast.net, Feb 18, 2009