    it down manually.
    Thanks in advance,

    Filo

    Filomena, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Filomena

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:00:26 +0200, Filomena wrote:

    >I´m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn´t
    >happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
    >it down manually.
    >Thanks in advance,

    A fairly popular question, if you search for past posts in this group
    24hoursupport.helpdesk using
    search for - xp shutdown

    Me

    why?, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Filomena

    vbmark Guest

    "Filomena" <> wrote in

    > I´m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It
    > doesn´t happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then
    > I have to shut it down manually.
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Filo

    There is probably some program that is not "letting go" on shutdown.
    Before you shut down make a note of what programs are running. If you
    find that the computer hangs when a certain app is running then you can
    go to the next step of figure out what that program is misbehaving.

    --
    ---------------------------
    http://www.vbmark.com

    vbmark, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Filomena

    Miles Ahead Guest

    wrote:

    >I´m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn´t
    >happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
    >it down manually.

    You should check for shutdown issues as other posters suggested.
    But I'd also recommend getting this freeware while it's still
    available for download(development has ceased on it but I'm using
    it on XP Home SP1 and SP2 systems without problems.)

    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DH-TuneXP-Download-14972.html

    It's TuneXP 1.5 and it's great for system optimization. I had the
    ocassional download hang as you describe but after tuning with
    this app my bootups and shutdowns were quicker and smoother
    and I don't recall getting anymore shutdown hangs(not without a
    "xxx is not responding" message anyway.)

    This freeware was recommended on The Screen Savers show
    which is how I heard about it. The only proviso is in the Hardware
    Menu if you check "Enable UDMA-66" you'll get an error dialog
    simply because TuneXP was written before there was faster
    than 66 MHZ UDMA. It doesn't hurt anything, just produces an
    error dialog.

    Anyway, here's what helped me with smooth boots and shutdowns.
    Under the "Memory and file system" Menu, click on "Faster Shutdown".
    Also I'd recommend you set "Defrag Boot Files" and "Ultra-Fast
    Booting" once. This will create a long defrag session so if you are
    low on HD free space you might pass on those because defrag
    will take forever. But if you have 50% free space or greater you
    should do it. You only need to do it once as regular defrag after
    that will tend to keep those files where they are.

    I'm also using "Optimize prefetch" in the same Menu. But, the
    one that will make your XP system fly if running NTFS is "Increase
    NTFS performance". This shuts off the "last accessed" file time
    stamp. Just enabling this optimization you should be able to actually
    see your system run faster and smoother! Unless you are running
    some file tracking app that has to have a file access time stamp from
    the system there's no real useful purpose to all those file time stamp
    API calls. Just slows things down!

    I've never had a problem using TuneXP but with any system tweaker
    it's a good idea to save your Registry before using just to be safe.
    So either create a System Restore Point, or use a util like ERUNT
    to save your Registry, or both.

    You can get ERUNT freeware here:

    Good luck. :)

    Miles Ahead, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Filomena

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:00:26 +0200, "Filomena" <> wrote:

    >I´m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn´t
    >happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
    >it down manually.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Filo

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try
    to Shut Down Your WinXP, Win2000 Computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

    Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320299

    Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310396

    You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431

    Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274

    You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008

    Unk, Aug 8, 2005