Computer Freezes At "Shutting Down" After Having Done System Restore

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I recently *completely* reformatted my hard drive.

    After doing so, I downloaded all Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 updates,
    including Service Pack 3 for each.

    I also unfortunately updated my browser from IE 7 to 8, which caused all my
    apps to hang. The end-result was that I had to restart my computer in order
    to close the frozen apps.

    I called Dell and eventually uninstalled IE8 in order to return to IE6.

    My browser is now IE6 SP 3.

    Upon returning to IE6, with SP3 installed, my computer operated quickly and
    correctly.

    That said, when I went to rename a *very long* Word document, I was unable
    to do so because the menu option was not the usual long one, which includes
    "Rename".

    Being unable to rename the very lengthy title of the Word document, I did a
    System Restore.

    The System Restore went through its processes *excluding* the restarting of
    my computer. It froze.

    As a result, I turned the power off and rebooted cold, so to speak.

    After rebooting, I checked and found that my system had indeed been returned
    to an earlier date.

    One of the undesirable consequences of System Restore was that I am no
    longer able to restart my computer in the proper manner.

    When I click Start - Turn Off Computer - Restart, "Saving Your Settings"
    appears followed by "Windows Is Shutting Down".

    That's as far as my restart process now goes: "Windows Is Shutting Down."

    It never gets beyond that point.

    How do I rectify the problem so that I can restart my computer properly?

    If relevant, I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 512 MB of Rambus RAM running
    at 2 GHz (actually 1.99). My OS is XP Pro SP3, browser is IE6 SP3, and
    Office is 2002 SP3.

    A four-hour Error Check did not indicate any flaws.

    As always, any and all constructive suggestions and comments will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Martin
    Martin, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Martin

    Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote:

    >That said, when I went to rename a *very long* Word document, I was unable
    >to do so because the menu option was not the usual long one, which includes
    >"Rename".

    >Being unable to rename the very lengthy title of the Word document, I did a
    >System Restore.

    Next time just hit the F2 function key, it will let you rename any
    file/directory that hasn't got a read only bit set. Your word doc
    would be re nameable.

    Got a XP CD? Run a repair install
    Read the article as it's the second repair option, not the first one
    you come to. No data will be lost.

    I dual boot, both OS's (xp home and pro) were installed 4 years ago
    last month - They are still working because of the repair install
    opinion. Well that and ERUNT, for those times you just don't want to
    spend 2 hours repairing the OS.

    --

    08/04/17. Chrome OS begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

  3. Martin

    Guest

    wrote:

    Damn:

    >They are still working because of the repair install
    >opinion.

    >They are still working because of the repair install
    >option.

    Spell checker popped up, trusting it's judgement, I hit change and got
    the wrong word....
    --

    08/04/17. Chrome OS begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
    , Jul 9, 2009
  4. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >I dual boot, both OS's (xp home and pro) were installed 4 years ago
    >last month - They are still working because of the repair install
    >opinion. Well that and ERUNT, for those times you just don't want to
    >spend 2 hours repairing the OS.

    Whats "ERUNT"?

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 9, 2009
  5. Martin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently *completely* reformatted my hard drive.
    >
    > After doing so, I downloaded all Windows XP Pro and Office 2002 updates,
    > including Service Pack 3 for each.
    >
    > I also unfortunately updated my browser from IE 7 to 8, which caused all
    > my apps to hang. The end-result was that I had to restart my computer in
    > order to close the frozen apps.
    >
    > I called Dell and eventually uninstalled IE8 in order to return to IE6.

    Huh? wouldn't you have got 7? You *can* repair any version of IE instead
    of removing it when you go to uninstall it.

    > That said, when I went to rename a *very long* Word document, I was
    > unable to do so because the menu option was not the usual long one,
    > which includes "Rename".
    >
    > Being unable to rename the very lengthy title of the Word document, I
    > did a System Restore.
    >
    > The System Restore went through its processes *excluding* the restarting
    > of my computer. It froze.
    >
    > As a result, I turned the power off and rebooted cold, so to speak.
    >
    > After rebooting, I checked and found that my system had indeed been
    > returned to an earlier date.
    >
    > One of the undesirable consequences of System Restore was that I am no
    > longer able to restart my computer in the proper manner.
    >
    > When I click Start - Turn Off Computer - Restart, "Saving Your Settings"
    > appears followed by "Windows Is Shutting Down".
    >
    > That's as far as my restart process now goes: "Windows Is Shutting
    > Down."
    >
    > It never gets beyond that point.
    >
    > How do I rectify the problem so that I can restart my computer properly?
    >
    > If relevant, I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 512 MB of Rambus RAM
    > running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99). My OS is XP Pro SP3, browser is IE6
    > SP3, and Office is 2002 SP3.
    >
    > A four-hour Error Check did not indicate any flaws.
    >
    > As always, any and all constructive suggestions and comments will be
    > greatly appreciated.

    1. Disable *permanently* anything running in startup that doesn't
    *absolutely* need to be there running all the time. 2. Disconnect any usb
    devices when this happens again - *before* you force the computer off.
    When the computer shuts off, you've found the problem. 3. Shutdown your
    computer (off *not* standby) whenever you're not using it at that moment -
    meaning if you're going to be away from it for 1/2 hour or more, shut it
    down.

    If you still have problems with it after following all these - and *ask*
    if any is unclear or you don't know how to do any - call Dell tech support
    and tell them *exactly* what you've done to fix it including these three.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 9, 2009
  6. Martin

    Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    > pinched out a steaming pile
    >of<>:
    >
    >>I dual boot, both OS's (xp home and pro) were installed 4 years ago
    >>last month - They are still working because of the repair install
    >>opinion. Well that and ERUNT, for those times you just don't want to
    >>spend 2 hours repairing the OS.

    >Whats "ERUNT"?

    You of all people :) I figured if anyone wanted to know they would
    just Google it.

    It's a registry backup program, get your system tweaked, or before
    installing something major, run ERUNT. If you start having problems
    replace the registry with a backup.

    I don't know what hit me, malware, rootkit, I couldn't find it, and
    was all ready to install a debugger to narrow it down.

    Said screw it, and ran a ERUNT backup that was two months old, fixed
    me right up.

    I always try to find programs I need that are stand alone, or don't
    rely on the registry for it's operation, so filling in a 2 month gap
    (programs installed) isn't that hard. I also use PowerPro to backup my
    desktop icons (just one of it's many functions), use that to restore
    the icons and I'm good.

    --

    Never knew what bit em.
    http://imgur.com/id7O4.jpg
  7. In message <>,
    wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    > > pinched out a steaming pile
    > >of<>:
    > >
    > >>I dual boot, both OS's (xp home and pro) were installed 4 years ago
    > >>last month - They are still working because of the repair install
    > >>opinion. Well that and ERUNT, for those times you just don't want to
    > >>spend 2 hours repairing the OS.

    > >Whats "ERUNT"?

    > You of all people :) I figured if anyone wanted to know they would
    > just Google it.

    Heh...

    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    > It's a registry backup program, get your system tweaked, or before
    > installing something major, run ERUNT. If you start having problems
    > replace the registry with a backup.
    >
    > I don't know what hit me, malware, rootkit, I couldn't find it, and
    > was all ready to install a debugger to narrow it down.
    >
    > Said screw it, and ran a ERUNT backup that was two months old, fixed
    > me right up.

    Nice.

    > I always try to find programs I need that are stand alone, or don't
    > rely on the registry for it's operation, so filling in a 2 month gap
    > (programs installed) isn't that hard. I also use PowerPro to backup my
    > desktop icons (just one of it's many functions), use that to restore
    > the icons and I'm good.

    If I ever start using winXP as my main platform I'll grab that proggy, thanks.

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 9, 2009
  8. Martin

    Guest

    , Jul 9, 2009
  9. Martin

    macco Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently *completely* reformatted my hard drive.
    >
    > After doing so, I downloaded all Windows XP Pro and Office 2002
    > updates, including Service Pack 3 for each.
    >
    > I also unfortunately updated my browser from IE 7 to 8, which caused
    > all my apps to hang. The end-result was that I had to restart my
    > computer in order to close the frozen apps.
    >
    > I called Dell and eventually uninstalled IE8 in order to return to
    > IE6.
    >
    > My browser is now IE6 SP 3.
    >
    > Upon returning to IE6, with SP3 installed, my computer operated
    > quickly and correctly.
    >
    > That said, when I went to rename a *very long* Word document, I was
    > unable to do so because the menu option was not the usual long one,
    > which includes "Rename".
    >
    > Being unable to rename the very lengthy title of the Word document,
    > I did a System Restore.
    >
    > The System Restore went through its processes *excluding* the
    > restarting of my computer. It froze.
    >
    > As a result, I turned the power off and rebooted cold, so to speak.
    >
    > After rebooting, I checked and found that my system had indeed been
    > returned to an earlier date.
    >
    > One of the undesirable consequences of System Restore was that I am
    > no longer able to restart my computer in the proper manner.
    >
    > When I click Start - Turn Off Computer - Restart, "Saving Your
    > Settings" appears followed by "Windows Is Shutting Down".
    >
    > That's as far as my restart process now goes: "Windows Is Shutting
    > Down."
    >
    > It never gets beyond that point.
    >
    > How do I rectify the problem so that I can restart my computer
    > properly?
    >
    > If relevant, I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 512 MB of Rambus RAM
    > running at 2 GHz (actually 1.99). My OS is XP Pro SP3, browser is
    > IE6 SP3, and Office is 2002 SP3.
    >
    > A four-hour Error Check did not indicate any flaws.
    >
    > As always, any and all constructive suggestions and comments will be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Martin

    Any old hardware installed?

    Noticed any s/w compatibility problems?
    macco, Jul 10, 2009
  10. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated!

    After calling Dell again, I was able to restart properly from Safe Mode with
    all non-Microsoft services and apps disabled.

    I was, however, unable to do a proper restart from "Normal Mode" even with
    all of the above disabled.

    I did sfc /scannow, which did not indicate any problems.

    I ran my Dell reinstallation CD and chose the repair option. The
    end-of-process message was that repair had indeed occurred.

    I did an extended diagnostics on my primary drive and, after two or three
    minutes, an non-repairable error was found.

    Why the Repair option indicated that all had been repaired, but the diag
    indicated otherwise is unknown to me. If anyone can explain the reason,
    please do so.

    Dell tech doesn't know if the HD error is related or not to the non-Restart
    problem.

    It was suggested that I do another complete reformat :-( and see if the
    Restart problem reoccurs.

    Further, since my primary HD dates from February 2002, I guess it's
    suffering from fatigue!

    I ran a diag on my slave drive and no errors were reported.

    So, rather than doing a reformat, I may transfer my slave-drive data to my
    primary HD, reformat my slave so that it becomes my primary, and then use my
    former primary as my slave. My concern, of course, is that, with a HD error
    on what is currently my primary, I may be unable to access my data when the
    primary becomes the slave.
    Any comments on this concern would be appreciated.

    Oh, how life is made simpler with computers! LOL!

    Once again, TY to all who contributed to this post!

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 10, 2009
  11. Martin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated!
    >
    > After calling Dell again, I was able to restart properly from Safe Mode
    > with all non-Microsoft services and apps disabled.
    >
    > I was, however, unable to do a proper restart from "Normal Mode" even
    > with all of the above disabled.
    >
    > I did sfc /scannow, which did not indicate any problems.
    >
    > I ran my Dell reinstallation CD and chose the repair option. The
    > end-of-process message was that repair had indeed occurred.
    >
    > I did an extended diagnostics on my primary drive and, after two or
    > three minutes, an non-repairable error was found.
    >
    > Why the Repair option indicated that all had been repaired, but the diag
    > indicated otherwise is unknown to me. If anyone can explain the reason,
    > please do so.
    >
    > Dell tech doesn't know if the HD error is related or not to the
    > non-Restart problem.

    A sign he doesn't know what he's doing - a hard drive error means that
    part of it can't be read at *all* or formatted for that matter. Your drive
    is failing. This could *easily* cause the computer to be unable to boot.
    If you're curious about the details, run a full scandisk without automatic
    repair. This will tell you how many had sectors you have. Sort of
    pointless as this number will continue to grow steadily until the drive is
    completely unusable.

    Get a new hard drive *now*. You need one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 11, 2009
  12. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    In 2003, I bought three 120 GB Western Digital internal hard drives.

    I have yet to take them out of their original boxes.

    Though never used, they have, nevertheless, been dormant for slightly more
    than 6 years.

    Considering their age, should I be concerned, or are they essentially brand
    new (as if bought yesterday)?

    Thanks for your recommendation.

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 11, 2009
  13. Martin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Martin" <> wrote in

    >>> Dell tech doesn't know if the HD error is related or not to the
    >>> non-Restart problem.

    >> A sign he doesn't know what he's doing - a hard drive error means that
    >> part of it can't be read at *all* or formatted for that matter. Your
    >> drive is failing. This could *easily* cause the computer to be unable
    >> to boot. If you're curious about the details, run a full scandisk
    >> without automatic repair. This will tell you how many had sectors you

    Should read: ... how many *bad* sectors ... of course

    >> have. Sort of pointless as this number will continue to grow steadily
    >> until the drive is completely unusable.
    >>
    >> Get a new hard drive *now*. You need one.

    > Hello,
    >
    > In 2003, I bought three 120 GB Western Digital internal hard drives.
    >
    > I have yet to take them out of their original boxes.
    >
    > Though never used, they have, nevertheless, been dormant for slightly
    > more than 6 years.
    >
    > Considering their age, should I be concerned, or are they essentially
    > brand new (as if bought yesterday)?

    Yes, they should be fine. One should last just as long with the same pattern
    of computer usage.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 11, 2009