    Barry Willicott
    Jayleigh Trading UK

    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Any advise to help would be appreciated.
    >
    > The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"
    > appear at the top of the screen. This lasts up to 30-40 secs then goes
    > back to normal. This phenomenon can happen up to 20 times an hour and
    > it occurs when I'm on the net and when I'm working independently of
    > the net, though it seem more prevelent when I'm on the net.
    >
    > It is very frustrating having to sit and wait for the computer to
    > decide whether or not it will continue.

    There's a good chance your computer is sending out spam or some other
    virus and/or spyware activity is going on. What do you use for antivirus
    and antispyware?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 09:29, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > Any advise to help would be appreciated.

    > > The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"
    > > appear at the top of the screen. This lasts up to 30-40 secs then goes
    > > back to normal. This phenomenon can happen up to 20 times an hour and
    > > it occurs when I'm on the net and when I'm working independently of
    > > the net, though it seem more prevelent when I'm on the net.

    > > It is very frustrating having to sit and wait for the computer to
    > > decide whether or not it will continue.

    > There's a good chance your computer is sending out spam or some other
    > virus and/or spyware activity is going on. What do you use for antivirus
    > and antispyware?

    AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    sales & but I get emails addressed to
    things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    , Jul 1, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > On 1 Jul, 09:29, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi

    >>>Any advise to help would be appreciated.

    >>>The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"
    >>>appear at the top of the screen. This lasts up to 30-40 secs then goes
    >>>back to normal. This phenomenon can happen up to 20 times an hour and
    >>>it occurs when I'm on the net and when I'm working independently of
    >>>the net, though it seem more prevelent when I'm on the net.

    >>>It is very frustrating having to sit and wait for the computer to
    >>>decide whether or not it will continue.

    >>There's a good chance your computer is sending out spam or some other
    >>virus and/or spyware activity is going on. What do you use for antivirus
    >>and antispyware?

    > AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    > have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    > sales & but I get emails addressed to
    > things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    > not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    Run an online scan, such as one from http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    and run Spybot Search and Destroy from

    As for the non-existant addresses, spammers regularly spoof the
    addresses to jibberish, you are probably getting BCC'd.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On 1 Jul, 09:29, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi

    >>>Any advise to help would be appreciated.

    >>>The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"
    >>>appear at the top of the screen. This lasts up to 30-40 secs then goes
    >>>back to normal. This phenomenon can happen up to 20 times an hour and
    >>>it occurs when I'm on the net and when I'm working independently of
    >>>the net, though it seem more prevelent when I'm on the net.

    >>>It is very frustrating having to sit and wait for the computer to
    >>>decide whether or not it will continue.

    >>There's a good chance your computer is sending out spam or some other
    >>virus and/or spyware activity is going on. What do you use for antivirus
    >>and antispyware?

    > AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    > have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    > sales & but I get emails addressed to
    > things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    > not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    I meant to add that you can also run Task Manager by pressing
    Ctrl+Alt+Del and see what programs and processes are running. Maybe you
    have something running that you aren't aware of. Getting relief from
    incoming spam is another subject altogether. I was talking about
    outgoing spam. You could have a trojan.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 09:51, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >>There's a good chance your computer is sending out spam or some other
    > >>virus and/or spyware activity is going on. What do you use for antivirus
    > >>and antispyware?

    > > AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    > > have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    > > sales & but I get emails addressed to
    > > things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    > > not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    > Run an online scan, such as one fromhttp://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > and run Spybot Search and Destroy fromhttp://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    >
    > As for the non-existant addresses, spammers regularly spoof the
    > addresses to jibberish, you are probably getting BCC'd.- Hide quoted text -

    OK I'll run the housecall and HitManPro which contains Spybot. What
    are BCCs and how do I stop them?

    , Jul 1, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > On 1 Jul, 09:51, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    >>>have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    >>>sales & but I get emails addressed to
    >>>things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    >>>not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    >>Run an online scan, such as one fromhttp://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>and run Spybot Search and Destroy fromhttp://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    >>
    >>As for the non-existant addresses, spammers regularly spoof the
    >>addresses to jibberish, you are probably getting BCC'd.- Hide quoted text -

    > OK I'll run the housecall and HitManPro which contains Spybot. What
    > are BCCs and how do I stop them?

    BCC is Blind Carbon Copy. It hides the address the email was actually
    sent to, the "To" field can be anything else. And it sounds like you
    need to either work on some spam filters or else change the email
    addresses and learn not to advertise them (as you just did earlier in
    this thread, there is such a thing as email harvest bots on newsgroups).

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 10:00, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >>Run an online scan, such as one fromhttp://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    > >>and run Spybot Search and Destroy fromhttp://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

    > >>As for the non-existant addresses, spammers regularly spoof the
    > >>addresses to jibberish, you are probably getting BCC'd.- Hide quoted text -

    > > OK I'll run the housecall and HitManPro which contains Spybot. What
    > > are BCCs and how do I stop them?

    > BCC is Blind Carbon Copy. It hides the address the email was actually
    > sent to, the "To" field can be anything else. And it sounds like you
    > need to either work on some spam filters or else change the email
    > addresses and learn not to advertise them (as you just did earlier in
    > this thread, there is such a thing as email harvest bots on newsgroups).- Hide quoted text -

    Sorry I should have realised what BCCs are. I have just checked task
    manager, there are 59 processes and CPU usage is running at 0-2% Is
    that OK?

    , Jul 1, 2007
  9. wrote:

    > Sorry I should have realised what BCCs are. I have just checked task
    > manager, there are 59 processes and CPU usage is running at 0-2% Is
    > that OK?

    Sounds like a lot of processes to me. The computer I'm on right now has
    30 processes running and this comp has lots of stuff installed. I'm
    hoping someone else will post with links to some of the good tune up
    suggestion sites. Do NOT download any "tune up" programs to do it, most
    of them stink. I do mine manually and haven't saved any of the good site
    recommendations. Here's an older one that I think most geeks agree is
    good: http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011204S0009

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  10. Guest

    On 1 Jul, 10:15, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Sorry I should have realised what BCCs are. I have just checked task
    > > manager, there are 59 processes and CPU usage is running at 0-2% Is
    > > that OK?

    > Sounds like a lot of processes to me. The computer I'm on right now has
    > 30 processes running and this comp has lots of stuff installed. I'm
    > hoping someone else will post with links to some of the good tune up
    > suggestion sites. Do NOT download any "tune up" programs to do it, most
    > of them stink. I do mine manually and haven't saved any of the good site
    > recommendations. Here's an older one that I think most geeks agree is
    > good:http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011204S0009

    By "tune up" I assume you mean something like a more involved version
    of the disc clean up. My problem is that most , in fact about 85%, of
    the processes that are running I have no idea what they are and could
    end up deleteing the wrong thing.

    , Jul 1, 2007
  11. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Any advise to help would be appreciated.
    >
    > The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"
    > appear at the top of the screen. This lasts up to 30-40 secs then goes
    > back to normal. This phenomenon can happen up to 20 times an hour and
    > it occurs when I'm on the net and when I'm working independently of
    > the net, though it seem more prevelent when I'm on the net.
    >
    > It is very frustrating having to sit and wait for the computer to
    > decide whether or not it will continue.
    >
    > Please help

    Windows won't produce the error "Not Responding" alone,
    it will be with reference in the error message to the cause:
    http://tinyurl.com/38ye6a

    The above is the MS knowledgebase, it lists known "not
    responding" errors and solutions.
    In the seach line type the exact "Not responding" error
    message in full that you receive.
    The most obvious question first to ask is have you performed
    a Windows Update for all hotfixes, patches etc since the
    problem occurred?
    Have you checked device manager for hardware that maybe
    having a problem? (It could be a driver issue)
    Try the KB link above with the full error message you recieve.

    ded, Jul 1, 2007
  12. wrote:

    > By "tune up" I assume you mean something like a more involved version
    > of the disc clean up. My problem is that most , in fact about 85%, of
    > the processes that are running I have no idea what they are and could
    > end up deleteing the wrong thing.

    Without looking at all the details, I'm guessing that you have a lot of
    startup programs running, plus maybe some that are spyware or virus. You
    can run HijackThis from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
    and then post the log to the the automated log reading on
    http://www.hijackthis.de/ and see what they have to say. Be careful with
    HijackThis, you can delete too many things if you get trigger happy.
    Better yet is to post the log to one of the forums where people who
    really know their business will assist you in what to fix.

    When you click Start, All programs, then Startup, I like to keep mine
    absolutely empty. I can start any program I want, they don't need to all
    start every time I boot up. You can also go to Start then Run and type
    in MSCONFIG, go to the startup tab and disable anything and everything
    you don't want or don't think you want. They can always be restarted
    quite easily by going back in and rechecking them in MSCONFIG.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007
  13. wrote:

    > AVG version 7.5, it updates itself and checks every 24hrs, but I do
    > have a problem with spam. My website has only 3 email addresses info,
    > sales & but I get emails addressed to
    > things like mrsub or zadhk or jgdwz@ jayleightrading.com and they do
    > not exist. I also have no idea how to stop them.

    Log into your web site's control panel, and the email settings, and turn
    OFF the "catch-all" address. This should stop you from receiving mail
    *not* sent to anything but your three existing jayleightrading.com
    addresses.

    However, by posting your real b.willicott address here in Usenet, you
    will now receive a lot more at *that* address. Spammers' bots scrape
    Usenet looking for new victims.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 1, 2007
  14. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > The computer is intermittantly freezing the words "not responding"

    Have you run anti-spyware and anti-virus from below?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 3, 2007
  15. medion.uk Guest

    check your memory modules cp usage by alt /delete/ctrl
    if no luck format the damn thing

    medion.uk, Jul 4, 2007
  16. jms Guest

    "medion.uk" <> wrote in message
    > check your memory modules cp usage by alt /delete/ctrl

    medion the top posting NTL'er joins threads days after all answers have been
    given.

    jms, Jul 4, 2007
  17. jms wrote:

    > "medion.uk" <> wrote:
    >> check your memory modules cp usage by alt /delete/ctrl
    >> if no luck format the damn thing

    > medion the top posting NTL'er joins threads days after all answers
    > have been given.

    Not only that, medion has a broken keyboard ... and the advice is
    *astounding*! "format the damn thing" will cure all, correct?

    medion: Don't quit your day job.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 4, 2007