Computer freeze up on start up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chuck S, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Chuck S

    Chuck S Guest

    Last night my computer froze up while I was working on a document in word .
    I had to restart it and when I did the restart it would go through the
    process but when it got to a certain point after my desktop was showing
    everything would stop . The hourglass was just sitting there . My mouse
    would move but I couldn't click anything . Well I got this on every restart
    .. And to restart I would just have to push and hold the off switch . I have
    done this over and over .......... now in 1 out of 20 times it would
    complete the startup process and I would be able to work as normal . But I
    wanted to find the problem so I would do what I could to find it . Well it
    got to where it would take more restarts to get it to load everything .
    Then on one of my restarts I lost my active desktop .............. and every
    since that I am able to restart fine every time . So I am thinking that for
    some reason my active desktop loading is the problem . Now thinking back it
    does seem as though when the desktop was loading before ......... that's
    when it would freeze . I would always get the scheduler icon that would load
    at the bottom and like the desktop would flicker then freeze . I have not
    yet restarted my active desktop and it seems to work fine .
    Now for my background on my desktop I have a webpage like deal that I made
    that loads . Not a normal desktop . Its a like a webpage I did that has
    links on it pointing to the normal desktop things like my documents and
    things instead of doing the normal short cut things . I have had it like
    that for 6 or 8 months and never had a problem . I do plane on changing it
    back to a normal looking windows desktop to see if that it in someway the
    problem but wanted to know that it that's not the problem what else should I
    look at that may be the problem . I am using windows 98 se with all the
    updates . I have also got a back up using ghost that I could use , its about
    a month old . I was also able to do another ghost back up today also . So I
    have both of those in case I have to do a restore . I am really not wanting
    to go that route unless I just have to . I hope this is enough info .
    Yes I do plan on upgrading to xp . Even bought xp but have never
    put xp on here for my own reason yet .
    Anyone have any ideas out there .
    Chuck S, Jan 5, 2004

  2. > Last night my computer froze up while I was working on a document in word .

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/
    Alexander Rogge, Jan 6, 2004