Computer Forensics

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by johndgist@gmail.com, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello!

    I have a few questions and I hope that this post is to the appropriate
    group. In not, a point in the right direction would be greatly
    appreciated.

    I am a web/graphic designer who is curious about what types of
    information can be extracted from images that are uploaded to the
    internet or passed around via ftp and/or email.

    I currently am employed at www.rokkan.com. We have done several game/
    puzzle type sites, most notably the site for The Da Vinci Code video
    game (http://www.2kgames.com/davincicode/unlockthecode.html) where the
    visitors to the site had to complete a puzzle with clues found all
    over the internet and hidden within audio and video clips.
    I am interested in learning more about information contained in the
    actual image file. Not so much using Steganography, but I would call
    it forensics. As if a true law enforcement official would looking at
    it.

    We are toying around the idea of creating a "digital detective"
    experience and would like to make it as true to life as possible. If
    I uploaded a .JPG or .GIF image that had been created in Photoshop
    what type of information could be distracted? Could information like:

    Date
    Time
    Region
    Version of photshop created
    Name of the person whom photoshop is registered to
    Photoshop serial number
    The name of the computer user/profile/account who ran the Photoshop
    program
    IP address
    Computer name
    Name of the network

    be extracted from the image? Is that even possible? Are there other
    types or more information that I did not list?
    Thank you all for you help and your experience!

    - John

    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. Todd H. Guest

    "" <> writes:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I have a few questions and I hope that this post is to the appropriate
    > group. In not, a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I am a web/graphic designer who is curious about what types of
    > information can be extracted from images that are uploaded to the
    > internet or passed around via ftp and/or email.
    >
    > I currently am employed at www.rokkan.com. We have done several game/
    > puzzle type sites, most notably the site for The Da Vinci Code video
    > game (http://www.2kgames.com/davincicode/unlockthecode.html) where the
    > visitors to the site had to complete a puzzle with clues found all
    > over the internet and hidden within audio and video clips.
    > I am interested in learning more about information contained in the
    > actual image file. Not so much using Steganography, but I would call
    > it forensics. As if a true law enforcement official would looking at
    > it.
    >
    > We are toying around the idea of creating a "digital detective"
    > experience and would like to make it as true to life as possible. If
    > I uploaded a .JPG or .GIF image that had been created in Photoshop
    > what type of information could be distracted? Could information like:
    >
    > Date
    > Time
    > Region
    > Version of photshop created
    > Name of the person whom photoshop is registered to
    > Photoshop serial number
    > The name of the computer user/profile/account who ran the Photoshop
    > program
    > IP address
    > Computer name
    > Name of the network
    >
    > be extracted from the image? Is that even possible? Are there other
    > types or more information that I did not list?
    > Thank you all for you help and your experience!
    >
    > - John

    I don't have time or focused expertise in JPG format and Photoshop's
    implementation of it to answer allyour questions but you may also want
    to learn what steganography is all about and incorporate that into
    your project.

    date time and a bunch of camera parameters are part of many jpg's as
    they come off the camera. EXIF is the standard there. Google up
    JPG EXIF for more.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/