computer does not boot, help

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Sean Cleary, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Hi,
    I got a strange problem. (Win98/95).

    The computer boots off the floppie, and notes that it has 128M of
    memory.
    When the computer boots off the hard drive, the computer halts in the
    boot process and displays this error message:

    While initializing device IOS:
    Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
    Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt
    or the system is low on memory.

    I have just got one computer free of a nasty virus, and used that
    computer
    and the Kaspersky pro antivirus checker to get the above drive to be
    free of viruses(*1). I then loaded Win95 and after that Win98.

    When I got frustrated with the above message I blew off user.dat and
    system.dat. I also blew off the iosubsys directory. And win.com, and
    then reloaded the two part os load. I was hoping that a fresh start
    would keep my data, even if the registry is now history.

    Any help? Any ideas?

    Sean Cleary

    (*1) by setting the drives on the same cable in the non infected
    computer and booting to the non infected drive and then scanning the
    infected drive. This took a while, mostly getting the first drive to a
    reported non-infected state.
    Sean Cleary, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Sean Cleary

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in

    > When I got frustrated with the above message I blew off user.dat
    > and system.dat. I also blew off the iosubsys directory. And
    > win.com, and then reloaded the two part os load. I was hoping that
    > a fresh start would keep my data, even if the registry is now
    > history.
    >
    > Any help? Any ideas?

    I'm confused...if you blew away the registry and therefore Windows, why
    not just blow away the whole Windows directory and do a clean install?

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Actually, later I did. So thank you for your advice.
    I still do not know what happened or why. I would like to know. I
    followed this post by looking at the boot log. The iosubsys directory
    was installing as Win98\system\iosubsys, but the system was looking for
    the files at win98\iosubsys. Even when that was corrected by copying
    the iosubsys directory there, things did not get enough better to boot.
    And when I started moving the files noted in bootlog.txt from the good
    pc, even that did not signifigantly improve things.

    But, yes, at the last, I did realize (a bit slowly) that there was
    nothing that I was really protecting.
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Oct 17, 2005