    Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?

    Thanks for any help!

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 7, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    > the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second, and
    > then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased just
    > today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from the
    > late 90's, I believe.
    >
    > Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Julie

    Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the
    monitor is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    >> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
    >> and then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has
    >> increased just today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is
    >> quite old, from the late 90's, I believe.
    >>
    >> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> Julie
    >>

    > Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the monitor
    > is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    temporarily.

    I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.

    Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 7, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Trax Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    |>Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    |>become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    |>temporarily.

    Time to take the cover off and tighten all the screws, with special
    attention to the HD mounting screws.

    --
    Music too loud?
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16831424-421,00.html

    Trax, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    > |>become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    > |>temporarily.
    >
    > Time to take the cover off and tighten all the screws, with special
    > attention to the HD mounting screws.

    Thanks pennywise! I should have known. :)

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 7, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:

    > Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    > the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second, and
    > then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased just
    > today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from the
    > late 90's, I believe.
    >
    > Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Julie

    If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
    symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
    is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    >> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
    >> and
    >> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased
    >> just
    >> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from
    >> the
    >> late 90's, I believe.
    >>
    >> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> Julie

    > If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
    > symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
    > is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.

    Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 7, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:12 GMT, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?

    If you've never opened a monitor before, don't. Bad idea.

    Evan Platt, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:12 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:41:40 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:
    >>
    >>> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    >>> the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
    >>> and
    >>> then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has increased
    >>> just
    >>> today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is quite old, from
    >>> the
    >>> late 90's, I believe.
    >>>
    >>> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!
    >>>
    >>> Julie

    >> If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
    >> symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
    >> is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.

    > Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?
    >
    > Julie

    It is repairable by a qualified technician, however repair costs will
    probably outweigh the cost of a new monitor.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/7/05 10:54:32 AM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    phrogee Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking". IOW,
    > the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second,
    > and then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this has
    > increased just today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor is
    > quite old, from the late 90's, I believe.
    >
    > Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Julie

    Don't repair it yourself. Scrap it, and use the money for something like a
    17" LCD monitor. (A great size for normal use.) Sometimes we just have to
    spend a little money.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:12 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Without Any Hesitation Julie P. Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the other for mentioned solutions do not solve your problem, the
    >>> symptoms described can also indicate that the low voltage rectifier
    >>> is going bad in the monitor. Good Luck.

    >> Hi Old Gringo, and thank you. Is that something that I could repair?
    >>
    >> Julie

    > It is repairable by a qualified technician, however repair costs will
    > probably outweigh the cost of a new monitor.

    Ok, thanks old gringo, once again. And also Evan and phrogee for your

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 7, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-10-07, Julie P. <> wrote:

    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    snip

    >> Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the monitor
    >> is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    > Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    > become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    > temporarily.
    >
    > I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.
    >
    > Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?
    >
    > Julie

    You may be getting mains voltage or frequency fluctuations. Have you noticed
    similar problems with TV sets or other electrical gadgets?

    LCD displays use a lot less electricity than CRT types; they also take up
    less room and don't weigh nearly as much!

    However, if 'high contrast' or the ability to use a wide variety of screen
    resolutions matter to you, or a wide viewing angle to share the display
    with a group of people, a CRT may still be the best choice.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 7, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    PC Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> Hi, recently, the display on my computer monitor has been "shaking".
    >>> IOW, the left and right edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split
    >>> second, and then it returns to normal. The rate at which it does this
    >>> has increased just today, to once every few minutes or so. The monitor
    >>> is quite old, from the late 90's, I believe.
    >>>
    >>> Is my monitor on the fritz, and can anything be done to correct this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!
    >>>
    >>> Julie
    >>>

    >> Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the monitor
    >> is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    > Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    > become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    > temporarily.
    >
    > I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.
    >
    > Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?
    >
    > Julie

    Julie

    1 "edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second"
    Time for some internal maintenance, best left to tech's, to many
    possibilities to guess at (caps, resistors, inductors, solder joints,....)
    You say late 90's ie 6 to 9 years old, mmm I'd tend to write it off, labour
    charges vs price of a new one.

    2 "Extra Monitors in storage"
    mmm not a good idea, CRT's with their high voltage do not like being
    'stored'
    Tend to absorb moisture, can die two or three weeks after bringing back into
    service.
    (Your mileage will definately vary on this I've had them fail in two hours
    or still going strong after two years)
    I would start looking at moving your old monitors on while they are still
    working and worth something.

    2 "Why do you recommend a flat screen" (Rick)
    Smaller form factor makes them much more convenient to setup at one's
    workstation.
    Lower power consumption.
    Instant 'On'
    No 'Flicker' (screen refresh rate) prolems.
    Longer life expectancy (main repair reason should be backlight failures)
    Already most 'traders' are giving CRT's a miss unless they are the better
    models going cheap.
    Go to your local large PC retailer and note what screens are on the shelf,
    yep mainly LCD's.

    If you are into high end games and or professional photo/video editing there
    is an argument CRT's are still better.
    Can't argue with that.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 8, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    > You may be getting mains voltage or frequency fluctuations. Have you
    > noticed
    > similar problems with TV sets or other electrical gadgets?
    >
    > LCD displays use a lot less electricity than CRT types; they also take up
    > less room and don't weigh nearly as much!
    >
    > However, if 'high contrast' or the ability to use a wide variety of screen
    > resolutions matter to you, or a wide viewing angle to share the display
    > with a group of people, a CRT may still be the best choice.

    Ah, ok. That explains it. The argument that it uses less electricity may
    convince me to go that route than with the traditional CRT!

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 8, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-10-07, Julie P. <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    > snip
    >
    >>> Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the
    >>> monitor
    >>> is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    >> Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    >> become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    >> temporarily.
    >>
    >> I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.
    >>
    >> Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?
    >>
    >> Julie

    > You may be getting mains voltage or frequency fluctuations. Have you
    > noticed
    > similar problems with TV sets or other electrical gadgets?

    And yes, I only have limited electrical circuits and outlets in my house,
    with lots of extra things plugged in to the computer outlet (like FIOS power
    supply, computer battery back-up, router, TV, DVR, etc.). I might have to
    switch things around then and actually map out the circuits with a circuit
    detector.

    Julie P., Oct 8, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you hear any little 'arcing'/zap noises? My guess is that the
    >>> monitor is indeed on its last legs. Get a flat screen replacement asap.

    >> Thanks Rick! no, no zapping noise, although my hard drive has suddenly
    >> become noisy in the past week, and pressing on the tower stops the noise
    >> temporarily.
    >>
    >> I have some extra monitors in storage, so I will get some of those.
    >>
    >> Why do you recommend a flat screen, by the way?
    >>
    >> Julie
    >>

    > Julie
    >
    > 1 "edges move inward about 1 or 2 mm for a split second"
    > Time for some internal maintenance, best left to tech's, to many
    > possibilities to guess at (caps, resistors, inductors, solder joints,....)
    > You say late 90's ie 6 to 9 years old, mmm I'd tend to write it off,
    > labour charges vs price of a new one.
    >
    > 2 "Extra Monitors in storage"
    > mmm not a good idea, CRT's with their high voltage do not like being
    > 'stored'
    > Tend to absorb moisture, can die two or three weeks after bringing back
    > into service.
    > (Your mileage will definately vary on this I've had them fail in two hours
    > or still going strong after two years)
    > I would start looking at moving your old monitors on while they are still
    > working and worth something.

    Ok, good advice. I later realized htis was a less than ideal situation, but
    at the time, space requirements were really tight. They may be shot now, but
    they were used anyway, and I only paid $20-$50 for them four years ago (17"
    monitors).

    > 2 "Why do you recommend a flat screen" (Rick)
    > Smaller form factor makes them much more convenient to setup at one's
    > workstation.
    > Lower power consumption.
    > Instant 'On'
    > No 'Flicker' (screen refresh rate) prolems.
    > Longer life expectancy (main repair reason should be backlight failures)
    > Already most 'traders' are giving CRT's a miss unless they are the better
    > models going cheap.
    > Go to your local large PC retailer and note what screens are on the shelf,
    > yep mainly LCD's.

    Ok, your argument has convinced me too Paul. I guess LCD is the way to go
    (although I can still buy used 17" monitors for $50, though I suppose I
    would be better off in the end with an LCD because of the lower electrical
    usage and longer life).

    Julie

    Julie P., Oct 8, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    phrogee Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    > Ok, your argument has convinced me too Paul. I guess LCD is the way to go
    > (although I can still buy used 17" monitors for $50, though I suppose I
    > would be better off in the end with an LCD because of the lower electrical
    > usage and longer life).
    >
    > Julie

    They're only about 4'' thick (LCD), plus you won't have all those high
    energy electrons shooting through your eyeballs. I used to get headaches
    after about an hour in front of a CRT monitor. The LCD monitor relieved me
    of that annoyance. Plus the weight and size difference. Good luck on
    whatever you decide.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Oct 8, 2005