Computer DISASTER - PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by D. Lee, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. D. Lee

    D. Lee Guest

    Hello everyone -

    This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous problems
    with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC to send
    you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently because
    of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or "Program
    Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
    receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with it -
    whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the following
    message in a small window called "Explorer" -

    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the
    problem persists, contact the program vendor.

    Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
    options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
    CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that the
    same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start, it
    brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So now I
    have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE HELP -
    any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For those of
    you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
    addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there any
    ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert" live to
    get help?

    My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -

    D. Lee
    Columbus, Ohio

    D. Lee
    ospam
    To e-mail me, remove the "nospam"
    D. Lee, Oct 31, 2004

  2. D. Lee

    Ionizer Guest

    "D. Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone -
    >
    > This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous

    problems
    > with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC

    to send
    > you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently

    because
    > of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or

    "Program
    > Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
    > receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with

    it -
    > whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the

    following
    > message in a small window called "Explorer" -
    >
    > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    If the
    > problem persists, contact the program vendor.
    >
    > Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
    > options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
    > CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that

    the
    > same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start,

    it
    > brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So

    now I
    > have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE

    HELP -
    > any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For

    those of
    > you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
    > addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there

    any
    > ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert"

    live to
    > get help?
    >
    > My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -

    You state that some of the error messages are coming from CrashGuard.
    Norton CrashGuard seemed to cause more problems than it prevented and was
    dropped from recent versions of SystemWorks. Try starting your computer
    in Safe Mode and from there, deactivate CrashGuard. See if that makes a
    difference. Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as the computer
    starts up. This and another approach to booting into Safe Mode are
    described here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Oct 31, 2004

  3. D. Lee

    James Hilton Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "D. Lee" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello everyone -
    > >
    > > This is D. Lee of Columbus, Ohio. I am currently having disastrous

    > problems
    > > with my computer (PC) and therefore I'm currently using a "backup" PC

    > to send
    > > you this message. I cannot succesfully start up my main PC apparently

    > because
    > > of some major problems with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and/or

    > "Program
    > > Manager" (I don't even know exactly what "Program Manager" is, but I'm
    > > receiving error messages telling me that there are major problems with

    > it -
    > > whatever it is). Whenever I try to start up my computer, I get the

    > following
    > > message in a small window called "Explorer" -
    > >
    > > This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    > If the
    > > problem persists, contact the program vendor.
    > >
    > > Whenever I try either "close" or "debug", which are essentially the only
    > > options I have, all I get are various error messages (some in Norton
    > > CrashGuard) that cause me to have to re-start computer, which means that

    > the
    > > same vicious cycle starts all over again, because whenever I re-start,

    > it
    > > brings up a similar series of error messages over and over again. So

    > now I
    > > have no idea what to do and am extremely desperate for any help. PLEASE

    > HELP -
    > > any attempts/efforts to help will be tremendously appreciated. For

    > those of
    > > you on or familiar with AOL like I am, are there any official AOL e-mail
    > > addresses to which I can send them a copy of this e-mail? Or are there

    > any
    > > ways or places online on AOL where I can speak to a computer "expert"

    > live to
    > > get help?
    > >
    > > My PC runs on Windows 98. Thank you (in advance?) -
    > >

    > You state that some of the error messages are coming from CrashGuard.
    > Norton CrashGuard seemed to cause more problems than it prevented and was
    > dropped from recent versions of SystemWorks. Try starting your computer
    > in Safe Mode and from there, deactivate CrashGuard. See if that makes a
    > difference. Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key as the computer
    > starts up. This and another approach to booting into Safe Mode are
    > described here:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

    > --
    > Ian.

    If that does not work try restoreing from an earlier configuration. Using
    the F8 method, choose DOS prompt only, or if already in Win98se at staft-
    shutdown, choose restart in ms dos mode . When you see the C:\ prompt
    type scanreg . View backups and restore from an earlier time when the
    computer was working ok.
    James Hilton, Oct 31, 2004
  4. D. Lee

    bmoag Guest

    It may be easier just to reinstall Windows98. Usually you can just reinstall
    into the same partition/folder and whatever file was corrupted will be
    reinstalled.

    After that get rid of Crash guard. Think about a non-Norton antivirus
    program.

    Despite what you may have otherwise read if your machine will run WinME this
    is a much better OS than 98. It is faster and has built in system restore
    functionality for just such a disaster as you describe. Any program that
    will run on 98 will run on ME although it may not run on XP and there are
    few older peripherals that do not have drivers that will run on ME.
    bmoag, Nov 1, 2004