    low battery on the motherboard could cause it? The computer is about 3
    years old, 1Mhz processor, 80gig HD 256Mb SD RAM running XP Pro.

    Thanks.

    Tom, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Tom

    w_tom Guest

    List of reasons for failure is quite long. No responsible
    reply can be posted without you first listing basic
    information. For starters, what do system (event) logs report
    - a historical log of unsavory events? What did Device
    Manager report? These are described in the Windows Help
    should you not know what or where they are.

    Responsible computer manufacturers provide, for free,
    comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Either on the hard drive
    or provided free on the web site. These execute without
    Windows to verify hardware integrity - which is necessary to
    break a problem down into parts. If the manufacturer is not
    responsible, then download diagnostics from each component
    manufacturer (disk drive, sound card, etc), or from third
    party diagnostics (ie Memtst86 or Docmem).

    Then there is the foundation of a computer - its power
    supply. Strange events occur when a power supply 'system' is
    marginal. Some replace only one component of that 'system' -
    the power supply - as if that will magically solve
    everything. But the educated person gets a 3.5 digit
    multimeter to verify power supply 'system' integrity in but
    two minutes.

    In your case, voltages on the green, purple, red, orange,
    and yellow wires (power supply to motherboard) are essential
    both with system at idle AND when system is simultaneously
    accessing all peripherals - disk drive, floppy drive, modem,
    network card, and sound card. Table for these voltage
    measurement in this previous post: "I think my power supply
    is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5 Feb 2004 at
    http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

    Some pictures that demonstrate the tools and what to
    measure:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
    www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

    When numbers are provided, then the knowledgeable will
    come. If you post without specific facts, then wild
    speculators will post. Provided above is how one obtains the
    useful responses while spending both less time and less money.

    Do not waste time reseating ram, swapping power supplies, or
    installing more fans. If the battery is problematic, then use
    meter to measure battery voltage. Meter reading will give a
    number that says either, "Battery is the problem", or "Battery
    is not the problem". Notice the definitive answer is the
    useful one. A 3 year old battery should be just fine.

    w_tom, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thank you for the reply, I'll have a look to see what I can find out and
    post back.

    Tom, Apr 20, 2005