Computer Crashes While Booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by njh204, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. njh204

    njh204

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi,

    My computer has been shutting off during the Windows XP boot process, before the login screen. I suspect it is hardware related because the machine also has Ubuntu 8.04 installed and that freezes during startup, before the login screen. Booting XP in safe mode with the command prompt worked, but none of the other safe mode options would boot. I also tried running off a Ubuntu live cd I had laying around and that also failed during the startup process. Since the live cd doesn't rely on the hard drive, I don't think that is the problem.

    I blew all the dust out of the case and have both side panels off with a desk fan blowing directly on the motherboard to ensure it isn't heat related.

    I ran memCheck86+ to verify the memory modules were error free and it passed fine. I also tried switching DIMM slots.

    I decided to try a clean Windows XP install to convince myself that it definitely isn't a software issue. The install got past the drive formatting and got to the installation screen where it estimates how much time is remaining for the install. When it got to 34 minutes remaining, it froze and I had to manually power it down. I tried rebooting and repairing the unfinished install. It displays the Windows XP loading screen then turns off.

    The only idea I have left is that maybe the graphics card is the problem and whenever anything tries accessing it the computer shuts off?

    I'd really appreciate any suggestions or ideas of what else to test or where to go from here.

    Here's some specs on my system:
    Processor: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Northwood core, socket478
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G, Intel 848-P + ICH5 chipset
    Memory: Corsair DDR PC3200 (2x 512MB)
    Video Card: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5200, 128MB DDR
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 80GB SATA
    njh204, Dec 15, 2008