computer crashed

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Snowsquall, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Snowsquall

    Snowsquall Guest

    Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.

    This is what happened:
    Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.

    Here's the sequence of events:
    First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.

    Now the computer is on.
    The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    The message says "monitor is working"
    "please check the video cable and
    computer"
    OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    feedback if possible anyway.

    Snowsquall, Jan 18, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    > security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    > trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    > computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    > planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
    >
    > This is what happened:
    > Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
    >
    > Here's the sequence of events:
    > First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    > Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    > So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    > But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
    >
    > Now the computer is on.
    > The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    > The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    > The message says "monitor is working"
    > "please check the video cable and
    > computer"
    > OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    > The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    > So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    > I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    > screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    > feedback if possible anyway.

    Considering the level of experience you present in this message, I would
    seek professional computer help.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Snowsquall

    taff Guest

    On 18 Jan 2004 15:22:29 -0800, (Snowsquall)
    wrote:

    >Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    >security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    >trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    >computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    >planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
    >
    >This is what happened:
    >Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
    >
    >Here's the sequence of events:
    >First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    >Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    >So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    >But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
    >
    >Now the computer is on.
    >The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    >The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    >The message says "monitor is working"
    > "please check the video cable and
    >computer"
    >OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    >The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    >So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    >I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    >screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    >feedback if possible anyway.

    I am sorry but this sounds like a faulty mainboard.

    Taff............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

    taff, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Snowsquall

    taff Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:37:26 -0500, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    >A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    Q: What is the difference between God and Bill Gates.
    A: God does not claim to BE Bill Gates.

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

    taff, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Snowsquall

    Jim Watt Guest

    wrote:

    >Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    >security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    >trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    >computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    >planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
    >
    >This is what happened:
    >Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
    >
    >Here's the sequence of events:
    >First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    >Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    >So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    >But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
    >
    >Now the computer is on.
    >The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    >The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    >The message says "monitor is working"
    > "please check the video cable and
    >computer"
    >OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    >The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    >So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    >I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    >screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    >feedback if possible anyway.

    This does not sound like a computer security problem but
    a computer hardware problem and they are very hard to fix
    on a newsgroup. Take it into someone competent.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Snowsquall

    optikl Guest

    taff wrote:

    > I am sorry but this sounds like a faulty mainboard.
    >
    > Taff............

    Or CPU?

    optikl, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Snowsquall

    taff Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:11:46 GMT, optikl <> wrote:

    >taff wrote:
    >

    >> I am sorry but this sounds like a faulty mainboard.
    >>
    >> Taff............
    >>

    >Or CPU?

    The front panel switch may or may not work with a faulty CPU, depends
    on the MB.

    taff, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Snowsquall

    Adrian_S Guest

    Snowsquall wrote:

    > Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    > security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    > trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    > computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    > planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
    >
    > This is what happened:
    > Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
    >
    > Here's the sequence of events:
    > First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    > Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    > So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    > But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
    >
    > Now the computer is on.
    > The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    > The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    > The message says "monitor is working"
    > "please check the video cable and
    > computer"
    > OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    > The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    > So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    > I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    > screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    > feedback if possible anyway.

    It sounds like a CPU fault, since you haven't reported seeing any other
    startup messages or hearing any POST beeps. I have a similar fault with
    an old P2 of mine, that can be cured by removing and then replacing the
    CPU in the socket.

    Viruses breed paranoia - even hardware gets scared sometimes :)

    Adrian_S

    Adrian_S, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Snowsquall

    NWPS Artwork Guest

    "Snowsquall" <> wrote in message
    > Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
    > security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
    > trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
    > computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
    > planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
    >
    > This is what happened:
    > Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
    >
    > Here's the sequence of events:
    > First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
    > Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
    > So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
    > But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
    >
    > Now the computer is on.
    > The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
    > The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
    > The message says "monitor is working"
    > "please check the video cable and
    > computer"
    > OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
    > The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
    > So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
    > I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
    > screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
    > feedback if possible anyway.

    I had the exact same thing happen with a gateway, so I replaced the CPU
    thinking (hoping) that would solve my problem but it didn't, so I took my
    motherboard in for troubleshooting and found out that the via chipset had
    received a surge. Sorry but it sounds like you may (hopefully not) have the
    same problem.

    NWPS Artwork, Jan 19, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    > I had the exact same thing happen with a gateway, so I replaced the CPU
    > thinking (hoping) that would solve my problem but it didn't, so I took my
    > motherboard in for troubleshooting and found out that the via chipset had
    > received a surge. Sorry but it sounds like you may (hopefully not) have the
    > same problem.

    "via" being the operative word there.... "via" sucks. every via machine
    i've owned has been the epitome of crap. it's one bios update after
    another, bad APM, blah blah blah. one box wouldn't work with win2k after
    _everything_ was updated, wouldn't work with linux either, but would
    work fine with freebsd. floppy trouble, ide trouble, video card trouble,
    the list goes on and on. I wouldn't purchase another via laden board if
    it was offered at half price and someone threw in a processor.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Snowsquall

    Snowsquall Guest

    Sorry for the panic. It was simply a freeze/lockup. Its just that the
    on-off power switch would not shut it down and when I finally did get it
    shut down I get this message. No beeps nothing else. Just the message that
    the video should be checked. Left computer overnight and to my
    amazement/embarrassment it was fully loaded ready to go. Turned out I think
    I had too many things on the go and the computer got confused big time. It
    is fine now --so far...
    As for IRC I downloaded a newer more secure version so lessen the virus/
    trojan paranoia..
    Thanks for the feedback any how.
    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Snowsquall, Jan 20, 2004
  12. Snowsquall

    Snowsquall Guest

    "NWPS Artwork" wrote

    Snowsquall, Jan 20, 2004
  13. Snowsquall

    taff Guest

    Thanks for coming back and telling us the outcome.
    Good luck.

    taff, Jan 20, 2004