    Existing security time-lapse setups aren't appropriate for this
    application because the pictures need to be very high quality.

    Anything out there that does this?
    Mark, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Mark

    Brothermark Guest

    > Existing security time-lapse setups aren't appropriate for this

    Such as?
    If you want suggestions, its a good idea to tell us what you have already
    tried and rejected.
    Did you try google?

    all the best with it.
    MArk
    Brothermark, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Mark

    Zol. Guest

    Have a check of the following software (CAM4U) @
    http://jpegclub.org/cam4you/ - it enables a lot of canon cameras to be set
    up for this purpose - although you would probably need a power supply for
    the camera if you intended to use it over long periods and also the new
    canon cameras have a snooze facility that needs to be switched off to
    prevent auto shut down. Regards ... Zol.

    Zol., Sep 20, 2003
  4. >

    > Anything out there that does this?

    The Canon G3's Remote Capture function can handle this (depends on the
    PC's available storage), but you'd have to locate the PC very close to the
    camera (USB), and keep the resolution to something reasonable. Software's
    already there -- comes with the camera.

    I have no idea how long a still camera would hold up under those
    conditions. Perhaps a very long time, perhaps not. 43,200 frames per
    day?

    I'm guessing you'd need something industrial grade.
    Robert A. Barr, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Mark

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > I'm looking for a recommendation on a 3 megapixel camera. It will be
    > used for remote monitoring, and needs to continuously take a minimum
    > of 1 frame every two seconds for up to a day at a time --
    > uncompressed.
    >
    > Because of the vast storage requirements, I'm looking for something
    > that can be controlled by a PC, and automatically transfer each frame
    > there for storage.

    Yes.. You'd be looking at around 50 Gigabytes per day :)

    > Existing security time-lapse setups aren't appropriate for this
    > application because the pictures need to be very high quality.

    I doubt *any* digital still camera would be appropriate.. You're looking at
    43,200 shutter clicks per *day*, or around 1.2 million per month.

    I think the shutter mechanism in ANY sitll camera would be worn out rather
    rapidly. Digital cameras simply aren't designed for that type of severe
    service.
    Jim Townsend, Sep 20, 2003