    checking at 8 am it said I had been connected for 4 hours. Can anyone shed
    any light on this? No one was near the conputer. OS 98 SE.

    tia BH
    Broom Hilda, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Broom Hilda

    Kráftéé Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:
    > I (shudder) have a dial-up connection. Last night (early this
    > morning, actually) around 4 am I heard my computer dialing all by
    > itself. Upon checking at 8 am it said I had been connected for 4
    > hours. Can anyone shed any light on this? No one was near the
    > conputer. OS 98 SE.

    Download Adaware from lavasoft & check you system.

    You have got an up to date Anti Virus program on board haven't you, if
    not you are a very silly person & need to rectify as soon as possible
    Kráftéé, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Broom Hilda

    Harrison Guest

    Make sure your system is free of viruses, trojans, spyware and adware.

    Harrison, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Broom Hilda

    Broom Hilda Guest

    yes I have AVG and I have never had a virus. Received lots but they were
    always caught by AVG. I check for up-dates daily. I also have Ad-Aware and
    Spy Bot. I just installed Zone Alarm, also.
    Broom Hilda, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Broom Hilda

    Kráftéé Guest

    Broom Hilda wrote:
    > yes I have AVG and I have never had a virus. Received lots but
    > they were always caught by AVG. I check for up-dates daily. I
    > also have Ad-Aware and Spy Bot. I just installed Zone Alarm, also.

    Well for are start what actvity did the Zonealarm log show ???

    It sounds like you've got something either attempting to phone home or
    trying to propergate itself onwards, only you can find out what it is
    by doing full system scans both with your upto date virus guard & also
    with Adaware & Spybot. If that doesn't show anything then you'll have
    to check all the programs you have installed to see if there is any
    which have been set to auto update at that time....
    Kráftéé, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Broom Hilda

    M Mullen Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 08:47:46 -0700, "Broom Hilda" <>
    wrote:
    (e-mail sent if a reply)

    |> I (shudder) have a dial-up connection. Last night (early this morning,
    |> actually) around 4 am I heard my computer dialing all by itself. Upon
    |> checking at 8 am it said I had been connected for 4 hours. Can anyone shed
    |> any light on this? No one was near the conputer. OS 98 SE.

    A lot of things can cause this.

    say you leave CNN.COM open in your browser, when it's time reload can dial out
    if set up for it.

    I've never used outlook can it be configured to resend on failure?

    Lots of stuff, some not good.

    you need to look over your dial-up settings. You can choose the option "Prompt
    for name and password" that way you have to press OK before it dials out.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Broom Hilda

    the biz Guest

    make sure the "connect automaticlly" feature is turned off. if you have,
    check your pc for viruses.

    the biz, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Broom Hilda

    Tim Guest

    It sounds like someone has downloaded a porno auto dialer, it's not
    really a virus but a really good spyware. I really suggest typing
    SPYBOT in to google search download it "spybot". once you run it
    you'll have a window full of spyware.Delete ALL entries in RED &
    GREEN.****DO NOT DELETE ENTRIES IN BLACK****

    Tim, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Broom Hilda

    Boomer Guest

    (Tim) wrote in

    > It sounds like someone has downloaded a porno auto dialer, it's
    > not really a virus but a really good spyware. I really suggest
    > typing SPYBOT in to google search download it "spybot". once you
    > run it you'll have a window full of spyware.Delete ALL entries in
    > RED & GREEN.****DO NOT DELETE ENTRIES IN BLACK****

    Why are you telling 'the biz' this?

    --
    I need to go lie down in a darkened room.
    -anOLDun
    Boomer, Dec 10, 2003