Computer component Suppliers Auckland, Tauranga & Wellywood.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by UncleKev, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. UncleKev

    UncleKev Guest

    Greetings

    I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
    around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
    include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.

    I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
    guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
    my wish list.

    I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
    work for me here on this brief trip.

    As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
    bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.

    My wish list is as follows

    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
    I chose this MB for a future upgrade path, the Athlon 939 Socket, the 1x
    (16x)PCIe, 2x (1x)PCIe, 3x PCI, 3x Firewire, 6x USB 1.1/2.0, 4 memory
    slots(Dual Channel) 4x IDE, 4x SATA, and the RAID will be handy too

    AMD Athlon 64 CPU Retail version socket 939

    PCI Express Graphics Card
    AI Computers list an Eagle GeForce 6600 16xPCI Express 3D VGA card 256MB
    DDR With TV-Out DVI for $223.88 (Any other suggestions?)

    2 x 512MB 400 Dual Channel Memory Sticks (comments/suggestions)

    2x SEAGATE 160G 7200RPM Serial ATA150 8MB Buffer

    MS X/P Pro OEM (normal ver not 64bit)

    Video capture card (not a clue what yet)

    1x DVD DL Re-writer (undecided)

    4x USB Flash Drives

    4x 3.5 Floppy Drives

    1x ATX Case with 400watt(or more) PS

    Extra Cables for USB & Firewire, CPU Thermal Paste 7 or tape.

    Comment please

    Regards Uncle Kev
    UncleKev, Sep 18, 2005

  2. UncleKev

    shannon Guest

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/
    shannon, Sep 18, 2005

  3. UncleKev

    Mackin Guest

    UncleKev wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
    > around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
    > include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
    >
    > I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
    > guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
    > my wish list.
    >
    > I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
    > work for me here on this brief trip.
    >
    > As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
    > bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
    >
    > My wish list is as follows

    <snip>

    Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
    throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.

    *DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Sep 18, 2005
  4. UncleKev

    S Roby Guest

    >*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.

    Why ???
    S Roby, Sep 18, 2005
  5. UncleKev

    XPD Guest

    "S Roby" <> wrote in message

    >>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >>

    > Why ???

    Probably the usual "customer service was crap etc" yet others will claim
    otherwise..... :)
    I refuse to have anything to do with QMB computers, yet others I know swear
    by them....
    XPD, Sep 18, 2005
  6. UncleKev

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:53:43 +1200, Mackin <> wrote:

    >UncleKev wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
    >> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
    >> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
    >>
    >> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
    >> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
    >> my wish list.
    >>
    >> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
    >> work for me here on this brief trip.
    >>
    >> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
    >> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
    >>
    >> My wish list is as follows

    ><snip>
    >

    >Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
    >throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
    >
    >*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >
    >Mackin.

    He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.
    XP, Sep 18, 2005
  7. UncleKev

    UncleKev Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >>>

    >>Why ???

    > Probably the usual "customer service was crap etc" yet others will claim
    > otherwise..... :)
    > I refuse to have anything to do with QMB computers, yet others I know swear
    > by them....

    Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

    I have found the PB Technologies website useful and have downloaded
    excerpts for offline inspection.

    I expect I will purchase from more than one shop. Customer service won't
    be a big issue as I have pretty much worked out what I want.

    I have come to expect less than reliable advice from Computer shop
    assistants (althought there are always exceptions to the rule).

    I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
    damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average
    35 Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and
    will a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent
    surges and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

    Regards Uncle Kev.
    UncleKev, Sep 18, 2005
  8. UncleKev

    Mercury Guest

    > I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
    > damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average 35
    > Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and will
    > a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent surges
    > and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

    Get a good "online" UPS.

    Problem Solution

    ants,
    cockroaches,
    etc. gecko

    pesky
    australians,
    gecko snake

    make sure the snake has just enough to eat.

    using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
    a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are up to
    date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get really nasty
    infections if you piss them off. so,.... don't.
    Mercury, Sep 18, 2005
  9. UncleKev

    UncleKev Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    >>I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
    >>damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average 35
    >>Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and will
    >>a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent surges
    >>and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

    > Get a good "online" UPS.
    >

    > Problem Solution
    >
    > ants,
    > cockroaches,
    > etc. gecko
    >
    > pesky
    > australians,
    > gecko snake
    >
    > make sure the snake has just enough to eat.
    >
    > using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
    > a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are up to
    > date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get really nasty
    > infections if you piss them off. so,.... don't.

    Damn the Green Snake would have been ideal particularly for those pesky
    Australian Tourists >;).

    Unfortunately we have no land snakes on the Island and the sea snakes
    are fairly rare visitors.

    I do have a UPS "serial/USB", A lot of the Business PC's on the Island
    don't but I have been doing my best to recommend them, the Power on the
    Island is generated by large Diesels and power voltages can vary greatly.

    Recently were supplied with two Liebert UPS's for work one for the new
    Server (3+1 Hot swap SATA Raid 5)Windows 2003 Server (SQL Database in
    development) the other work stations are using cheap Powerware UPS's.

    Component price on the Island are quite expensive and choice limited e.g
    Dick Smiths 56k PCI Modem $NZ75.00.

    Hence my shopping list for parts in NZ.

    It's Sunday here and I'm up to the Office to open up for the Computer
    Supplier we are going to install a Linux Box for the Email Server/Fire
    Wall. I'm not sure if he's worked out which distro he wanted to use SuSe
    but may have to revert to Red Hat. The issue at the moment is the auto
    hang up, Dialup is very expensive here($4.00 - $7.00 per hour) but not
    quite as bad as the ISDL at $800 - $1100 per month.

    Regards Uncle Kev
    UncleKev, Sep 18, 2005
  10. UncleKev

    John Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:27:52 +1200, XP wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:53:43 +1200, Mackin <> wrote:
    >
    >>UncleKev wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greetings
    >>>
    >>> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
    >>> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
    >>> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
    >>>
    >>> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
    >>> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
    >>> my wish list.
    >>>
    >>> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
    >>> work for me here on this brief trip.
    >>>
    >>> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
    >>> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
    >>>
    >>> My wish list is as follows

    >><snip>
    >>

    >>Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
    >>throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
    >>
    >>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >>
    >>Mackin.

    > He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.

    Ascent also sells direct to customers from their premises.

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/about.asp

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Sep 18, 2005
  11. UncleKev

    shannon Guest

    UncleKev wrote:
    > Mercury wrote:
    >
    >>> I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
    >>> damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity,
    >>> Average 35 Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the
    >>> PCI Slots and will a surge protector be enough to protect my gear
    >>> from the frequent surges and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

    >> Get a good "online" UPS.
    >>

    >> Problem Solution
    >>
    >> ants,
    >> cockroaches,
    >> etc. gecko
    >>
    >> pesky
    >> australians,
    >> gecko snake
    >>
    >> make sure the snake has just enough to eat.
    >>
    >> using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
    >> a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are up
    >> to date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get really
    >> nasty infections if you piss them off. so,.... don't.
    >>

    > Damn the Green Snake would have been ideal particularly for those pesky
    > Australian Tourists >;).
    >
    > Unfortunately we have no land snakes on the Island and the sea snakes
    > are fairly rare visitors.
    >
    > I do have a UPS "serial/USB", A lot of the Business PC's on the Island
    > don't but I have been doing my best to recommend them, the Power on the
    > Island is generated by large Diesels and power voltages can vary greatly.
    >
    > Recently were supplied with two Liebert UPS's for work one for the new
    > Server (3+1 Hot swap SATA Raid 5)Windows 2003 Server (SQL Database in
    > development) the other work stations are using cheap Powerware UPS's.
    >
    > Component price on the Island are quite expensive and choice limited e.g
    > Dick Smiths 56k PCI Modem $NZ75.00.
    >
    > Hence my shopping list for parts in NZ.
    >
    > It's Sunday here and I'm up to the Office to open up for the Computer
    > Supplier we are going to install a Linux Box for the Email Server/Fire
    > Wall. I'm not sure if he's worked out which distro he wanted to use SuSe
    > but may have to revert to Red Hat. The issue at the moment is the auto
    > hang up, Dialup is very expensive here($4.00 - $7.00 per hour) but not
    > quite as bad as the ISDL at $800 - $1100 per month.
    >

    > Regards Uncle Kev

    Try the smeserver distro from contribs.org for your email server /
    gateway / firewall.
    Its based on Redhat so you can install rpms
    It handles dialup, its http configurable and has a squid proxy so you
    don't get timeouts between the DNS lookup and the connect.
    shannon, Sep 18, 2005
  12. UncleKev

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "S Roby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> *DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >>>

    >> Why ???

    > Probably the usual "customer service was crap etc" yet others will
    > claim otherwise..... :)
    > I refuse to have anything to do with QMB computers, yet others I know
    > swear by them....

    I've used them (QMB) quite a bit and have no complaints with them at all.
    They replaced a PSU no questions asked after testing it (1 minute) and me
    showing the reciept. (it was a cheapie) I took a Samsung combo drive back
    twice as it was playing up, had it replaced both times by the Samsung agents
    (after a delay) with a refurbished unit. When I was still not happy they
    swapped it for a brand new Lite-On unit.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2005
  13. UncleKev

    UncleKev Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:27:52 +1200, XP wrote:

    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >>>Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
    >>>throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
    >>>
    >>>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >>>
    >>>Mackin.

    >>He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.

    > Ascent also sells direct to customers from their premises.
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/about.asp
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    I actually had Ascent on my Wellywood list and Eagle Technology House is
    pretty easy to get to by Bus from Island Bay, and only a short walk to
    the Matterhorn and the Good Luck Bar after I have made my Purchases....

    I promise not to fall up the back Stairs of the Good Luck Bar when I use
    the Men's Room.... or does that only happen after midnight...

    Regards Uncle Kev.
    UncleKev, Sep 19, 2005
  14. UncleKev

    UncleKev Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > UncleKev wrote:

    >>> Get a good "online" UPS.
    >>>

    >>> Problem Solution
    >>>
    >>> ants,
    >>> cockroaches,
    >>> etc. gecko
    >>>
    >>> pesky
    >>> australians,
    >>> gecko snake
    >>>
    >>> make sure the snake has just enough to eat.
    >>>
    >>> using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
    >>> a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are
    >>> up to date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get
    >>> really nasty infections if you piss them off. so,.... don't.
    >>>

    >> Damn the Green Snake would have been ideal particularly for those
    >> pesky Australian Tourists >;).
    >>
    >> Unfortunately we have no land snakes on the Island and the sea snakes
    >> are fairly rare visitors.
    >>
    >> I do have a UPS "serial/USB", A lot of the Business PC's on the Island
    >> don't but I have been doing my best to recommend them, the Power on
    >> the Island is generated by large Diesels and power voltages can vary
    >> greatly.
    >>
    >> Recently were supplied with two Liebert UPS's for work one for the new
    >> Server (3+1 Hot swap SATA Raid 5)Windows 2003 Server (SQL Database in
    >> development) the other work stations are using cheap Powerware UPS's.
    >>
    >> Component price on the Island are quite expensive and choice limited
    >> e.g Dick Smiths 56k PCI Modem $NZ75.00.
    >>
    >> Hence my shopping list for parts in NZ.
    >>
    >> It's Sunday here and I'm up to the Office to open up for the Computer
    >> Supplier we are going to install a Linux Box for the Email Server/Fire
    >> Wall. I'm not sure if he's worked out which distro he wanted to use
    >> SuSe but may have to revert to Red Hat. The issue at the moment is the
    >> auto hang up, Dialup is very expensive here($4.00 - $7.00 per hour)
    >> but not quite as bad as the ISDL at $800 - $1100 per month.
    >>

    >> Regards Uncle Kev

    > Try the smeserver distro from contribs.org for your email server /
    > gateway / firewall.
    > Its based on Redhat so you can install rpms
    > It handles dialup, its http configurable and has a squid proxy so you
    > don't get timeouts between the DNS lookup and the connect.

    Thanks for the info I'll pass that on to the Man concerned, I will be
    leaving early Tuesday 5:00am getting to Auckland 7:00am Wednesday.

    So I will not be involved with that Particular Installation until I
    return in Late October, Plenty of time for the bugs to be sorted as well
    :).

    Regards Uncle Kev.
    UncleKev, Sep 19, 2005
  15. UncleKev

    Steve Guest

    > Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
    > throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
    >
    > *DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
    >
    > Mackin.

    Theres also www.pp.co.nz in Wellington who also have great service and
    prices.
    While both PP and Ascent have shop fronts they generally do not carry
    stock. You would need to order the hardware in first.
    Steve, Sep 19, 2005
  16. UncleKev

    Steve Guest

    >> He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.
    >
    > Ascent also sells direct to customers from their premises.
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/about.asp
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    You have to order the gear first and you can collect it when its ready.
    Steve, Sep 19, 2005
  17. UncleKev

    John Guest

    On 19 Sep 2005 00:03:59 -0700, Steve wrote:

    >>> He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.

    >> Ascent also sells direct to customers from their premises.
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/about.asp
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.

    > You have to order the gear first and you can collect it when its ready.

    Some time ago I purchased an item (CD Burner) at their place of
    business without ordering before hand no problems. If in doubt ring
    first and ask.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Sep 19, 2005