    My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months now,
    it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the time,
    any ideas as to the problem?
    trigon, May 5, 2006

  2. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:...
    > My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    now,
    > it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the time,
    > any ideas as to the problem?

    Woops forgot to say i am running win98se.
    trigon, May 5, 2006

  3. trigon

    EMB Guest

    trigon wrote:
    > My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months now,
    > it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the time,
    > any ideas as to the problem?

    Try replacing the CMOS battery - on a modern PC it should be a CR2032.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 5, 2006
  4. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > trigon wrote:
    > > My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    now,
    > > it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the

    time,
    > > any ideas as to the problem?

    > Try replacing the CMOS battery - on a modern PC it should be a CR2032.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Thanks, I will consider this after I consider some of the other
    possibilities that I found on this page
    http://www.beaglesoft.com/mainfaqclock.htm#apps cause time loss , but
    with my computer been 6 years old the battery is high on the suspect list
    although i would have expected things to get worse over the months if this
    was the case and so far the problem has not got any worse.
    trigon, May 5, 2006
  5. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > trigon wrote:
    > > My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    now,
    > > it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the

    time,
    > > any ideas as to the problem?

    > Try replacing the CMOS battery - on a modern PC it should be a CR2032.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Battery reads 3 volts on multimeter so i presume it is ok.
    trigon, May 5, 2006
  6. trigon

    Rebel Lord Guest

    trigon wrote:

    > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:...
    >> My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    > now,
    >> it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the
    >> time, any ideas as to the problem?
    >>

    > Woops forgot to say i am running win98se.

    Try using atomic clock to reset the time each reboot, I know this doesn't
    solve the actual problem which is probably the battery. Does your
    multimeter have a battery test position, this puts a load on and is better
    than just a voltage check.
    Rebel Lord, May 5, 2006
  7. On Fri, 5 May 2006 17:50:25 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months now,
    >it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the time,
    >any ideas as to the problem?

    A few minutes a month is well within the usual tolerances of a PC
    clock. They are not usually trimmed for accuracy, and the components
    controlling them drift in value with age. So what you need to do is
    get a clock synchronisation program and sync to the atomic clocks on
    the Internet regularly.

    If your PC clock was much more accurate when it was younger, then you
    were just lucky. Brand new ones often have many minutes a month
    drift.
    Stephen Worthington, May 5, 2006
  8. trigon

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:445aebce$...

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > > trigon wrote:
    > > > My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few

    months
    > now,
    > > > it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the

    > time,
    > > > any ideas as to the problem?

    > > Try replacing the CMOS battery - on a modern PC it should be a CR2032.
    > >

    > > --
    > > EMB

    > Thanks, I will consider this after I consider some of the other
    > possibilities that I found on this page
    > http://www.beaglesoft.com/mainfaqclock.htm#apps cause time loss ,

    but
    > with my computer been 6 years old the battery is high on the suspect list
    > although i would have expected things to get worse over the months if this
    > was the case and so far the problem has not got any worse.

    I found running shareaza on my old p3-450 causes the clock to go slow.....
    Craig Sutton, May 5, 2006
  9. trigon

    Guest

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 17:50:25 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months now,
    >it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the time,
    >any ideas as to the problem?

    Very Normal just use Atomic Clock.

    And replace the CMOS battery..
    , May 5, 2006
  10. trigon

    Craig Sutton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 May 2006 17:50:25 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    >
    > >My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    now,
    > >it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the

    time,
    > >any ideas as to the problem?
    > >

    > Very Normal just use Atomic Clock.

    Dimension 4 is the one i use
    Craig Sutton, May 6, 2006
  11. trigon

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 5 May 2006 17:50:25 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few months

    > now,
    >>> it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on about 30% of the

    > time,
    >>> any ideas as to the problem?
    >>>

    >> Very Normal just use Atomic Clock.
    >>

    > Dimension 4 is the one i use

    Sysmetrix does a lot of stuff, tucked away in it all is time
    synchronisation. Nice skins, too, if you are that way inclined.
    -=rjh=-, May 6, 2006
  12. trigon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:
    > trigon wrote:
    >

    >> "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message
    >>> My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few
    >>> months now, it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on
    >>> about 30% of the time, any ideas as to the problem?
    >>>

    >> Woops forgot to say i am running win98se.

    > Try using atomic clock to reset the time each reboot, I know this
    > doesn't solve the actual problem which is probably the battery. Does
    > your multimeter have a battery test position, this puts a load on and
    > is better than just a voltage check.

    Atomic Clock installs things that certain spyware detectors don't like.
    Hence it no longer resides on my system.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 7, 2006
  13. trigon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    trigon wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> trigon wrote:
    >>> My computer has begun consistently loosing time over quite a few
    >>> months now, it looses a few minutes a month, the computer is on
    >>> about 30% of the time, any ideas as to the problem?

    >> Try replacing the CMOS battery - on a modern PC it should be a
    >> CR2032.
    >>

    >> --
    >> EMB

    > Battery reads 3 volts on multimeter so i presume it is ok.

    It's not.

    I had a whole bunch of batteries that gave a 3V reading on a multimeter
    sitting on my windowsill out of mobos that got binned. However, when I
    tested them properly (put them one-by-one into the remote for an LCD TV that
    happens to take CR2032's) only two out of about 12 worked. Yet they all gave
    a 3V reading on a multimeter.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 7, 2006