    on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical stuff.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 8, 2005

  2. geopelia

    thingy Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly in
    > today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    > I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    > If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it?

    Yes.

    It is an Acer
    > scanner using MirascanV4.01
    > All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't help.
    > The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while pressing
    > Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    > Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks normal,
    > the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    >
    > Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or click
    > on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical stuff.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia

    Try turning it all off incl any usb hubs for 10 minutes. After that if
    still no go re-install the scanner's driver.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 8, 2005

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly

    in
    > > today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    > > I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    > > If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it?

    > Yes.
    >
    > It is an Acer
    > > scanner using MirascanV4.01
    > > All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't

    help.
    > > The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while pressing
    > > Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    > > Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks

    normal,
    > > the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    > >
    > > Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or

    click
    > > on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical

    stuff.

    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Try turning it all off incl any usb hubs for 10 minutes. After that if
    > still no go re-install the scanner's driver.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thank you. The scanner light wouldn't go off last night so I disconnected
    the power cable. I'll try taking out the computer cable too and then replace
    both.

    geopelia, Oct 8, 2005
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly

    in
    > > today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    > > I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    > > If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it?

    > Yes.
    >
    > It is an Acer
    > > scanner using MirascanV4.01
    > > All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't

    help.
    > > The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while pressing
    > > Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    > > Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks

    normal,
    > > the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    > >
    > > Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or

    click
    > > on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical

    stuff.

    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Try turning it all off incl any usb hubs for 10 minutes. After that if
    > still no go re-install the scanner's driver.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I looked up usb hubs on google, I don't think I have got any. There is just
    a power cable from a box thing that goes in the surge protector, and the
    cable from the computer. If putting the cables back doesn't work I'll take
    out the surge protector end and try again.
    I don't think we got a power surge, everything else works including the TV
    and video.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 8, 2005
  5. geopelia

    S Roby Guest

    In article <DmO1f.16753$>, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly in
    >today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    >I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    >If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it? It is an Acer
    >scanner using MirascanV4.01
    >All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't help.
    >The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while pressing
    >Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    >Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks normal,
    >the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    >
    >Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or click
    >on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical stuff.
    >
    >Thank you

    WinXP or Win98
    Win98 has a USB bug where USB scanners can 'disappear", MS have a patch for it
    Win XP, look in control panel under scanners & see if its there

    S Roby, Oct 8, 2005
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > > geopelia wrote:
    > > > Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly

    > in
    > > > today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    > > > I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    > > > If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it?

    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > It is an Acer
    > > > scanner using MirascanV4.01
    > > > All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't

    > help.
    > > > The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while

    pressing
    > > > Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    > > > Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks

    > normal,
    > > > the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    > > >
    > > > Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or

    > click
    > > > on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical

    > stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you
    > > >
    > > > Geopelia
    > > >

    > > Try turning it all off incl any usb hubs for 10 minutes. After that if
    > > still no go re-install the scanner's driver.
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > Thing

    > I looked up usb hubs on google, I don't think I have got any. There is

    just
    > a power cable from a box thing that goes in the surge protector, and the
    > cable from the computer. If putting the cables back doesn't work I'll take
    > out the surge protector end and try again.
    > I don't think we got a power surge, everything else works including the TV
    > and video.
    > Geopelia

    I took both cables out and put them back later, that seems to have fixed the
    problem. It is working well now. I noticed the light inside would not turn
    off as it normally does after a few minutes, even when the computer was
    turned off. That has fixed itself too.

    Many thanks for your help. These big thunderstorms are a nuisance!
    Fortunately we only lost the power for a few hours, no wind damage.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 9, 2005
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    <> wrote:
    > >Since I had to turn the power off after the computer went off suddenly in
    > >today's thunderstorm, the computer can't find the scanner.
    > >I get "error in getting the Twain data source".
    > >If the scanner light is on the power must be on, mustn't it? It is an

    Acer
    > >scanner using MirascanV4.01
    > >All the cables seem to be connected. Restarting the computer doesn't

    help.
    > >The help menu isn't much help. I've held down the Alt key while pressing
    > >Acquire but that doesn't help either.
    > >Everything seems to be working except that it won't scan. It looks

    normal,
    > >the pictures are there in the Albums etc.
    > >
    > >Is there something on the scanner or the computer I ought to press or

    click
    > >on to get it going again? I don't understand much about the technical

    stuff.

    > >Thank you
    > >

    > WinXP or Win98
    > Win98 has a USB bug where USB scanners can 'disappear", MS have a patch

    for it
    > Win XP, look in control panel under scanners & see if its there

    Windows ME.

    Thank you.
    Taking out the cables and replacing them has fixed the problem.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 9, 2005