Computer cannot find modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 17, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem, model
    S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running Windows XP
    Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed in this computer
    until now.

    I followed the instructions, and began installation of the drivers before
    installing the actual modem. Then I installed the modem, which went fine,
    although I had to tighten the bracket screw to get the bracket to rest
    against the computer frame rail--it wasn't resting there naturally. I did
    push the card firmly in place (firm, built not hard), and made sure the
    cut-out of the card was resting over the tab, where it should be. Likewise,
    the bracket was installed correctly, with the tab resting inside the
    computer, and not hanging outside. There were four slots available, and I
    chose the bottom one. So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.

    When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the modem
    under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should have been able
    to. (Don't know if this matters, but I also installed a DVD-Rom drive at the
    same time and Windows did not mention it had detected new hardware (either
    the modem or the DVD drive when I restarted, but the DVD drive works fine.)

    I cannot uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling, as that would
    necessitate removing the modem, then reinstalling the drivers, then
    reinstalling the modem. This is because for Sterling modems, you have to
    begin driver installation BEFORE modem installation. And also you have to
    uninstall the actual modem should you ever need to reformat your hard drive
    or reinstall Windows.

    The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever they said
    I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try another PCI slot,
    which I am not going to do since I am not going to start playing games
    because of their incompetence.

    Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or return
    the modem to the store?

    Thanks for any help!

    Julie P., May 17, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Rob K Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:05:09 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

    <snipped>

    > So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.

    Don't do that.

    > The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    > steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell,

    I haven't read the specific user guide. I would not be surprised though
    if IRQ "stuff" does apply to your Dell.

    Actually, it's the first thing I'd check. (Control Panel, Performance
    and Maintenance, System, Device Manager) Any items marked with a yellow
    exclamation mark there ?

    I hope so. It would be an indication that the card is not seated
    properly. I've seen that on many occasions.

    Other than that, trying another PCI slot is *not* a sign of incompetence
    from the manufacturer. Try it....

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

    Rob K, May 17, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Stevo Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem,
    > model S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running
    > Windows XP Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed
    > in this computer until now.
    >
    > I followed the instructions, and began installation of the drivers
    > before installing the actual modem. Then I installed the modem, which
    > went fine, although I had to tighten the bracket screw to get the
    > bracket to rest against the computer frame rail--it wasn't resting
    > there naturally. I did push the card firmly in place (firm, built not
    > hard), and made sure the cut-out of the card was resting over the
    > tab, where it should be. Likewise, the bracket was installed
    > correctly, with the tab resting inside the computer, and not hanging
    > outside. There were four slots available, and I chose the bottom one.
    > So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.
    > When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    > automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the
    > modem under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should
    > have been able to. (Don't know if this matters, but I also installed
    > a DVD-Rom drive at the same time and Windows did not mention it had
    > detected new hardware (either the modem or the DVD drive when I
    > restarted, but the DVD drive works fine.)
    > I cannot uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling, as that would
    > necessitate removing the modem, then reinstalling the drivers, then
    > reinstalling the modem. This is because for Sterling modems, you have
    > to begin driver installation BEFORE modem installation. And also you
    > have to uninstall the actual modem should you ever need to reformat
    > your hard drive or reinstall Windows.
    >
    > The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    > steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever
    > they said I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try
    > another PCI slot, which I am not going to do since I am not going to
    > start playing games because of their incompetence.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    > return the modem to the store?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    While you may be sceptical about the suggestion from Dell to try another
    slot, I would recommend that you at least try that before you throw your
    hands in the air. If you have already installed the drivers then the
    card should be detected OK and install automatically - possibly silently
    (as the DVD did) but I would expect you would see something on screen in
    the process .

    You mention that you had to "tighten the bracket screw to get the
    bracket to rest against the computer frame rail". In doing so, you may
    have caused the nodem card to unseat from the slot at the opposite end.
    Maybe try removing that screw and then pressing firmly on both ends of
    the card to ensure it properly and even;y inserted in the slot, for
    testing purposes you can run without that screw initially to see if the
    modem works or not. How big is the gap between the card bracket and the
    case frame? You might need to use a spacer to prevent the modem from
    unseating when you tighten the fixing screw.

    With your Dell, do you see a BIOS screen when you boot up? or just a
    Dell splash screen? You might want to find out how to get in to the BIOS
    and change the setup so that you get a BIOS screen at boot, that way you
    should see if the modem is recognised by the BIOS and an IRQ assigned.

    But I would try the simpler 'move the card to another slot" option
    first.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, May 17, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:05:09 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    >> So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.

    > Don't do that.
    >
    >> The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    >> steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell,

    > I haven't read the specific user guide. I would not be surprised though
    > if IRQ "stuff" does apply to your Dell.

    Well the Sterling modem user guide said go to:

    "Control Panel > System > Hardware Device Manager > highlight Computer and
    press Properties and check for an available IRQ"

    First of all, their path above they gave was incorrect for XP. Second, when
    I did this there was no IRQ info under Properties like they said.

    Then they said to disable IRQ steering by going to:

    "Control Panel > System > Device Manager > System Devices > PCI Bus > IRQ
    Steering"

    but there was no IRQ steering option at all there!

    > Actually, it's the first thing I'd check. (Control Panel, Performance
    > and Maintenance, System, Device Manager) Any items marked with a yellow
    > exclamation mark there ?

    Thanks. No, I just checked and all is clear.

    > I hope so. It would be an indication that the card is not seated
    > properly. I've seen that on many occasions.
    >
    > Other than that, trying another PCI slot is *not* a sign of incompetence
    > from the manufacturer. Try it....

    Ok, well, since I have to open my case anyway again to remove my old CD-ROM
    rive, I will give it a try. :)

    Julie P., May 17, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem,
    >> model S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running
    >> Windows XP Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed
    >> in this computer until now.
    >>
    >> I followed the instructions, and began installation of the drivers
    >> before installing the actual modem. Then I installed the modem, which
    >> went fine, although I had to tighten the bracket screw to get the
    >> bracket to rest against the computer frame rail--it wasn't resting
    >> there naturally. I did push the card firmly in place (firm, built not
    >> hard), and made sure the cut-out of the card was resting over the
    >> tab, where it should be. Likewise, the bracket was installed
    >> correctly, with the tab resting inside the computer, and not hanging
    >> outside. There were four slots available, and I chose the bottom one.
    >> So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.
    >> When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    >> automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the
    >> modem under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should
    >> have been able to. (Don't know if this matters, but I also installed
    >> a DVD-Rom drive at the same time and Windows did not mention it had
    >> detected new hardware (either the modem or the DVD drive when I
    >> restarted, but the DVD drive works fine.)
    >> I cannot uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling, as that would
    >> necessitate removing the modem, then reinstalling the drivers, then
    >> reinstalling the modem. This is because for Sterling modems, you have
    >> to begin driver installation BEFORE modem installation. And also you
    >> have to uninstall the actual modem should you ever need to reformat
    >> your hard drive or reinstall Windows.
    >>
    >> The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    >> steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever
    >> they said I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try
    >> another PCI slot, which I am not going to do since I am not going to
    >> start playing games because of their incompetence.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    >> return the modem to the store?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    > While you may be sceptical about the suggestion from Dell to try another
    > slot, I would recommend that you at least try that before you throw your
    > hands in the air. If you have already installed the drivers then the card
    > should be detected OK and install automatically - possibly silently (as
    > the DVD did) but I would expect you would see something on screen in the
    > process .

    Ok, I will do. It's just a pain to have to keep removing all the cables,
    clearing space on my desk, unplugging the cable modem, etc. That actually is
    more of a pain than the actual installation of a device usually. :)

    > You mention that you had to "tighten the bracket screw to get the bracket
    > to rest against the computer frame rail". In doing so, you may have caused
    > the nodem card to unseat from the slot at the opposite end. Maybe try
    > removing that screw and then pressing firmly on both ends of the card to
    > ensure it properly and even;y inserted in the slot, for testing purposes
    > you can run without that screw initially to see if the modem works or not.
    > How big is the gap between the card bracket and the case frame?

    Ok, very good idea. The gap was only about 1/4".

    You might need to use a spacer to prevent the modem from
    > unseating when you tighten the fixing screw.

    I hope this is it! I will try this later on today.

    > With your Dell, do you see a BIOS screen when you boot up? or just a Dell
    > splash screen?

    I think it's just the Dell splash screen.

    You might want to find out how to get in to the BIOS
    > and change the setup so that you get a BIOS screen at boot, that way you
    > should see if the modem is recognised by the BIOS and an IRQ assigned.
    >
    > But I would try the simpler 'move the card to another slot" option first.

    Thanks Stevo. I will report back. I am surprised the modem fit so poorly in
    the slot.

    Julie P., May 17, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem, model
    > S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running Windows XP
    > Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed in this computer
    > until now.
    >
    > I followed the instructions, and began installation of the drivers before
    > installing the actual modem. Then I installed the modem, which went fine,
    > although I had to tighten the bracket screw to get the bracket to rest
    > against the computer frame rail--it wasn't resting there naturally. I did
    > push the card firmly in place (firm, built not hard), and made sure the
    > cut-out of the card was resting over the tab, where it should be. Likewise,
    > the bracket was installed correctly, with the tab resting inside the
    > computer, and not hanging outside. There were four slots available, and I
    > chose the bottom one. So I am assuming I installed the modem correctly.
    >
    > When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    > automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the modem
    > under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should have been able
    > to. (Don't know if this matters, but I also installed a DVD-Rom drive at the
    > same time and Windows did not mention it had detected new hardware (either
    > the modem or the DVD drive when I restarted, but the DVD drive works fine.)
    >
    > I cannot uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling, as that would
    > necessitate removing the modem, then reinstalling the drivers, then
    > reinstalling the modem. This is because for Sterling modems, you have to
    > begin driver installation BEFORE modem installation. And also you have to
    > uninstall the actual modem should you ever need to reformat your hard drive
    > or reinstall Windows.
    >
    > The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    > steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever they said
    > I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try another PCI slot,
    > which I am not going to do since I am not going to start playing games
    > because of their incompetence.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or return
    > the modem to the store?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    If I could make an observation Julie, it would be to do *one* thing at a
    time. Make sure everything is working, and then tackle the next task.

    As far as the modem goes, I would make sure it is seated properly. A
    few times I have come across cards which have the backplate mounted a
    little high, and when the screw is tightened, the card tends to pivot on
    the front of it, pulling the rear slightly out of the slot. Loosen the
    card slightly and then push the card in evenly. If necessary try
    another slot - the instructions were given for a reason.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 17, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    > automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the modem
    > under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should have been able

    Try putting the modem in another slot.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 17, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    dadiOH Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    > steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever
    > they said I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try
    > another PCI slot, which I am not going to do since I am not going to
    > start playing games because of their incompetence.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    > return the modem to the store?

    Just a FYI...

    I had one modem (forget which but not my Sterling) that gave me install
    fits. Turned out it needed to be moved from one port to another, don't
    recall how I accomplished that.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 17, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The only cable you should unplug is the power.

    pcbutts1, May 17, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, May 17, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try another slot. Some slots are shared with the video AGP port and they
    will conflict. If you used the slot next to the AGP port then try another
    one. Also in the device manager look for a yellow Question mark with a
    heading of unknown device and remove it.

    pcbutts1, May 17, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Buffalo Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem, model
    > S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running Windows XP
    > Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed in this computer
    > until now.

    [snip]

    > The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    > steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever they said
    > I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try another PCI slot,
    > which I am not going to do since I am not going to start playing games
    > because of their incompetence.

    Depending on your MotherBoard, PCI slots share their IRQs with each other
    (slot1&3, slot2&4&5, etc example only) and also the AGP (video) slot.
    Therefore changing which PCI slot you use for your modem can be very good
    advice.
    'Usually' you want to leave the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot empty, as this
    slot shares the IRQ with the AGP. (some devices easily share the IRQ with the
    vid card with no problems, while many will not)
    It really sounds like the modem card is not fully seated in its slot, however.
    Or, the bracket is a little off and tightening it down with a screw unseats part
    of the card. Look at it carefully near the bottom where the contacts are in the
    slot.
    BTW, what are you going to use your PC for mainly?
    Also, as someone else mentioned, install only one device at a time and get it
    working properly before doing something else.

    > Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or return
    > the modem to the store?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Since you seem determined to do all the installs yourself, set up your desktop,
    etc so that you can easily access you PC's innards, even if that means moving it
    to another location until you get everthing installed.
    Beware of static electricity while working on the innards of the PC, it can
    cause failure and destruction of some components,including your video card and
    modem.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, May 17, 2005
  13. Julie P. wrote:

    >>> Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    >>> return the modem to the store?

    Good luck with tech support. I've never even heard of Sterling. As
    anybody else within the sound of my keyboard? (I'll bet it was a really
    good deal, though...)

    >>> Thanks for any help!

    >> While you may be sceptical about the suggestion from Dell to try
    >> another slot, I would recommend that you at least try that before you
    >> throw your hands in the air. If you have already installed the
    >> drivers then the card should be detected OK and install automatically
    >> - possibly silently (as the DVD did) but I would expect you would see
    >> something on screen in the process .

    > Ok, I will do. It's just a pain to have to keep removing all the
    > cables, clearing space on my desk, unplugging the cable modem, etc.
    > That actually is more of a pain than the actual installation of a
    > device usually. :)

    Remember the recommendations that you get an external serial modem?
    They plug into a serial port on the rear, so you don't even have to
    open the case. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 17, 2005
  14. Julie P. wrote:

    > Yeah right. That's real good. Really high-tech way of finding out the
    > problem. What good are all those slots if half of them don't work??

    It happens, and it doesn't imply dead slots; sometimes a particular
    device won't work in a particular slot. I dunno why, and they all
    *should* work anywhere, but should and does aren't necessarily the same.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 17, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Ghostrider Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or return
    > the modem to the store?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    At this stage, remove and modem from the PCI slot and
    re-insert it into the slot and secure it. Start the
    computer and let the installation wizard do its job. If
    it fails, then the replace the modem with a true hardware
    one. Of course, de-install the modem software that came
    with the Sterling. And, BTW, all of the issues mentioned
    are really non-contributory of this problem...this system
    is a very simple (i.e., uncomplicated) one.

    Ghostrider, May 17, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Perce Burks Guest

    Blinky the Shark, <> wrote:

    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah right. That's real good. Really high-tech way of finding out the
    >> problem. What good are all those slots if half of them don't work??

    > It happens, and it doesn't imply dead slots; sometimes a particular
    > device won't work in a particular slot. I dunno why, and they all
    > should work anywhere, but should and does aren't necessarily the same.

    BWAHAHAHAGAGAGAGAGAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Shared IRQ slots, you useless **** on
    a stick. 24hourfucktard.moronbarn does it again.

    Perce Burks, May 17, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    UPDATE!! (Was Re: Computer cannot find modem)

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem, model
    >> S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running Windows XP
    >> Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed in this
    >> computer until now.
    >>
    >> I followed the instructions, and began installation of the drivers before
    >> installing the actual modem. Then I installed the modem, which went fine,
    >> although I had to tighten the bracket screw to get the bracket to rest
    >> against the computer frame rail--it wasn't resting there naturally. I did
    >> push the card firmly in place (firm, built not hard), and made sure the
    >> cut-out of the card was resting over the tab, where it should be.
    >> Likewise, the bracket was installed correctly, with the tab resting
    >> inside the computer, and not hanging outside. There were four slots
    >> available, and I chose the bottom one. So I am assuming I installed the
    >> modem correctly.
    >>
    >> When I restarted my computer, the Installation Wizard did not start
    >> automatically like the manual said it would, and I could not find the
    >> modem under Control Panel > Phone and Modem > Modems like I should have
    >> been able to. (Don't know if this matters, but I also installed a DVD-Rom
    >> drive at the same time and Windows did not mention it had detected new
    >> hardware (either the modem or the DVD drive when I restarted, but the DVD
    >> drive works fine.)
    >>
    >> I cannot uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling, as that would
    >> necessitate removing the modem, then reinstalling the drivers, then
    >> reinstalling the modem. This is because for Sterling modems, you have to
    >> begin driver installation BEFORE modem installation. And also you have to
    >> uninstall the actual modem should you ever need to reformat your hard
    >> drive or reinstall Windows.
    >>
    >> The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    >> steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever they
    >> said I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try another
    >> PCI slot, which I am not going to do since I am not going to start
    >> playing games because of their incompetence.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    >> return the modem to the store?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>

    > If I could make an observation Julie, it would be to do *one* thing at a
    > time. Make sure everything is working, and then tackle the next task.
    >
    > As far as the modem goes, I would make sure it is seated properly. A few
    > times I have come across cards which have the backplate mounted a little
    > high, and when the screw is tightened, the card tends to pivot on the
    > front of it, pulling the rear slightly out of the slot. Loosen the card
    > slightly and then push the card in evenly. If necessary try another
    > slot - the instructions were given for a reason.

    UPDATE:

    Hi everyone! Good news: the modem now works! What had happened was that it
    was never even seated at all in the first place. The manual warned not to
    touch the actual modem card, except on the bracket and side, so it was hard
    to get a good grip on it to push it in. Plus I was worried the card would
    break. I had no idea how hard you needed to push. When I moved it to another
    PCI slot, and by accident, it snapped into place with a loud click, and I
    noticed it was seated a lot deeper, so I realized I had done it wrong the
    other night!!

    Also, getting it out of that slot and back into the original slot was a
    pain, since I couldn't grab the card except on the side and bracket. How do
    you get such cards out without touching where all the circuits are?? And
    without accidentally jumping/shorting an open circuits while wiggling it out
    of the slot?

    Julie P., May 18, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Julie ignore the trolls please.

    Gotcha. Good advice.

    Julie P., May 18, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Computer tools (Was Re: Computer cannot find modem)

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I just installed a new Sterling V.92 56K PCI internal faxmodem, model
    >> S20. I have a Dell Dimension 4600i Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, running Windows XP
    >> Home with SP2. No dial-up modems have ever been installed in this
    >> computer
    >> until now.

    > [snip]
    >
    >> The user guide was also pretty helpless, mentioning stuff about IRQ
    >> steering, which does not seem to apply to my Dell, since whatever they
    >> said
    >> I should find about IRQ was not there. They also said try another PCI
    >> slot,
    >> which I am not going to do since I am not going to start playing games
    >> because of their incompetence.

    > Depending on your MotherBoard, PCI slots share their IRQs with each other
    > (slot1&3, slot2&4&5, etc example only) and also the AGP (video) slot.
    > Therefore changing which PCI slot you use for your modem can be very good
    > advice.
    > 'Usually' you want to leave the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot empty, as
    > this
    > slot shares the IRQ with the AGP. (some devices easily share the IRQ with
    > the
    > vid card with no problems, while many will not)
    > It really sounds like the modem card is not fully seated in its slot,
    > however.
    > Or, the bracket is a little off and tightening it down with a screw
    > unseats part
    > of the card. Look at it carefully near the bottom where the contacts are
    > in the
    > slot.

    Thanks Eric and also pcbutts for your explanations about the PCI slots. I
    now realize why switching slots is a good way to attempt to fix a problem!

    > BTW, what are you going to use your PC for mainly?

    I use it for work mainly: email, newsgroups, web sales and surfing (I have
    two webhosting sites), FTP, picture editing, faxing (now that I have the
    modem installed!), word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

    > Also, as someone else mentioned, install only one device at a time and get
    > it
    > working properly before doing something else.
    >

    >> Does anyone have any advice other than to call or email Sterling or
    >> return
    >> the modem to the store?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    > Since you seem determined to do all the installs yourself, set up your
    > desktop,
    > etc so that you can easily access you PC's innards, even if that means
    > moving it
    > to another location until you get everthing installed.
    > Beware of static electricity while working on the innards of the PC, it
    > can
    > cause failure and destruction of some components,including your video card
    > and
    > modem.
    > Buffalo

    Thanks Buffalo! Right now what I do is put the PC on the rug on the wood
    floor, an sit next to it to work on, since I lack desk top space. I am
    constantly touching the wood floor, the power supply, and the metal computer
    cover, which I set on the wood floor.

    I do not leave the computer power cord connected as the manuals advise,
    since my outlets are not grounded!!! It is a very old house with older
    wiring!!

    Sometimes I set the computer on my lap and work on it while sitting on the
    ground. Will this prevent electro-static discharge, since the computer would
    be touching me at all times when it is on my lap??

    Also, I am, looking where I can buy computer tools, namely, a coaxial cable
    crimper/cutter/wire stripper, and a CAT6 terminal crimper/wire
    cutter/stripper. They are all so expensive at places like Staples and Best
    Buy though: $40 for just the CAT6 terminal tool!!! And the electronic
    ethernet line tester you plug in costs $50!!

    And I am also now trying to assemble a computer toolbox, since I am tiring
    of going to my main toolbox to pull tools.

    Here are the tools I can think of that you need:

    small Phillips screwdriver (#0 and #1)
    small slotted screwdriver (1/8", 3/16", 1/4")
    large Phillips screwdriver (#2)
    small wrenches (SAE and metric), like 5 mm, 5.5 mm, 6 mm, 6.5 mm, 7 mm, and
    1/4" and 3/16"

    small needlenose pliers
    tweezers
    soldering gun
    3/8" drill and small bits (to drill out rivets??), cutting oil
    hammer and large slotted screwdriver (5/16" or 3/8") (to bend tabs so you
    can take the frame rails apart??, and do knock out drywall for jacks

    electro-static grounding wrist pad (where do you buy these though?)
    CAT6 crimping tool
    coaxial cable crimping tool
    wire strippers
    lineman pliers
    telephone line tester
    ethernet line tester
    electrician's tape
    plastic ties
    fishing tool to fish wire through the house
    magnetic pick up tool (to pick up lost screws in the tower??)
    tape measure

    Plus tools to install new electrical outlets, like circuit finders, digital
    multimeter, voltage tester, receptacle analyzer, etc.

    Julie P., May 18, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > Good luck with tech support. I've never even heard of Sterling. As
    > anybody else within the sound of my keyboard? (I'll bet it was a really
    > good deal, though...)

    Very good deal! In fact, I went back and bought two more Sterling 56 K
    modems today, which were also free after rebate, since I realized the rebate
    limit is 3 per person. If it's allowed, I might install a second modem on my
    computer, to back up the first. Plus the other modem can go in my new
    computer, after I buy that one. You can never have too many modems on hand.
    Redundancy is a good thing. I know I have gone through at least 5 mouses in
    4 years. When one breaks, I just open a new package. Same thing with
    monitors and keyboards. I also have at least 4 extra cable DOCSIS modems on
    hand, and 4 routers, and many ethernet cards lying around. And about 10
    CD-RW drives, a DSL modem, an ISDN modem, and a few dial-up modems and
    floppy disk drives. You can get everything for so cheap nowadays, why not?

    >>> While you may be sceptical about the suggestion from Dell to try
    >>> another slot, I would recommend that you at least try that before you
    >>> throw your hands in the air. If you have already installed the
    >>> drivers then the card should be detected OK and install automatically
    >>> - possibly silently (as the DVD did) but I would expect you would see
    >>> something on screen in the process .

    >> Ok, I will do. It's just a pain to have to keep removing all the
    >> cables, clearing space on my desk, unplugging the cable modem, etc.
    >> That actually is more of a pain than the actual installation of a
    >> device usually. :)

    > Remember the recommendations that you get an external serial modem?
    > They plug into a serial port on the rear, so you don't even have to
    > open the case. :)

    Yeah, that is true. I guess I am a snob when it comes to these things
    though. I try to avoid external components to the extent possible, due to
    the stigma, price, space limitations. :) but I guess using a soft modem like
    I use is also frowned upon. Oh well.

    Julie P., May 18, 2005