    either.

    Any help is appreciated.

    , Jun 22, 2007

  2. Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:57:44 +0000, steven.rong wrote:

    > I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    > either.

    Well that's a new way of flashing the BIOS I've never tried.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)

    Aardvark, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Loud Heart Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried to switch on my PC, there is no activity from the PC. Power
    > lights is on, fan are spinning,hard disk activity light is always on,
    > no display on the monitor, status light on the CD drive is always on.
    >
    > I have a Gigabyte motherboard, Geforce4 video card, P4 CPU, and
    > seagate HDD.
    >
    > I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    > either.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    According to your problem description, it sounds like you have a bad
    monitor. Do you have another monitor you can try? Well, before you do
    that, double check that all the cables from PC to your monitor are
    connected and secured.

    If you hook up a working monitor to the PC and you still cannot see
    anything, power off the PC and monitor and unplug all cables from the
    power outlet. Open your PC case, ground yourself before touching any of
    the components inside the PC, and verify that the video card is
    installed properly.

    Good luck.
    --

    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum

    Loud Heart, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Ben Myers Guest

    Open the case and remove and reseat the memory modules. You also
    might try known good memory. If this doesn't help, try carefully
    removing and reseating the processor.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 22, 2007
  5. WhzzKdd Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:57:44 +0000, steven.rong wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    >> either.

    > Well that's a new way of flashing the BIOS I've never tried.

    Yeah - I had a nice chuckle over that too :)

    WhzzKdd, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:42:32 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:57:44 +0000, steven.rong wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    >>> either.

    >> Well that's a new way of flashing the BIOS I've never tried.
    >>

    > Yeah - I had a nice chuckle over that too :)

    What? Doesn't everyone flash there bios like that? And to think I've been
    doing it wrong all these years.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    > either.

    Seems an odd way of trying to solve your problem. Removing the bios
    battery is no way to do first to flash your bios.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 23, 2007
  8. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried to switch on my PC, there is no activity from the PC. Power
    > lights is on, fan are spinning,hard disk activity light is always on,
    > no display on the monitor, status light on the CD drive is always on.
    >
    > I have a Gigabyte motherboard, Geforce4 video card, P4 CPU, and
    > seagate HDD.
    >
    > I tried to flash bios by removing the bios battery, but didn't work
    > either.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    Steven.

    Caveat: if you are uneasy working with the insides of a PC take it to a PC
    shop.

    1 Open the case and measure the voltages put out by the power supply are
    within 5% of nominal, the voltages should be on a sticker on the side of the
    power supply.
    2 Try your monitor on another PC or borrow a known good monitor.
    if OK
    3 Disconnect the main AC lead from the power supply then, look for any loose
    cables, leads and plug in cards. Reseat. (note there is often spare plugs in
    side a PC do 'not' connect any spare ones without knowing exactly where they
    go)
    Reconnect AC mains and start PC up.
    If no joy.
    4 Disconnect AC Mains again and disconnect all cards leads and cables that
    plug into the motherboard 'except' the CPU and Heatsink, Ram modules, Video
    Card, system speaker (if it has one)
    Reconnect AC Mains and try starting PC.
    If it boots up (ie it starts puting characters out to the monitor) then
    switch off, disconnect the AC mains and attach previously disconnected
    cables/cards 'one at a time' until you find the one that is stopping the PC
    starting.
    (disconnect the AC between each addition)
    If on the otherhand it stilldoes not start
    5 Disconnect the AC, then remove the video and ram modules and reappy AC,
    switch on and listen for beeps from the system speaker. No beeps means
    either a dead motherboard or CPU.
    Beeps means crook video or ram modules.

    best
    Paul.