    has been idle for a little to a long while.

    Addie
    "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an illiterate..."

    Just Someone, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Just Someone

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Just Someone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have a
    > virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.
    >
    > Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer automatically
    > reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
    > because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the

    computer
    > has been idle for a little to a long while.
    >
    > Addie
    > "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an

    illiterate..."

    Swap the power supply with another and see if that makes a difference.

    Mark Mandell, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Just Someone

    Admiralla Guest

    If you don't mind my asking, what would the power supply have to do with it?

    Admiralla, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Just Someone

    mark mandel Guest

    "Admiralla" <> wrote in message
    > If you don't mind my asking, what would the power supply have to do with

    it?
    One of the symptoms of a failing power supply is spontaneous, automatic
    rebooting as seems to be the case here though I'll concede there could be
    other causes as well.

    mark mandel, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Just Someone

    Wizard Guest

    Although it might be a power supply issue. I would first check all the
    fans inside your case to see if they are all running, cean and upto
    speed. This sounds like you have an over heat problem.

    Wizard, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Just Someone

    The Prophecy Guest

    1. Check to make sure that all of your fans are working and that they are
    not in backwards.

    2. Make sure your computer is not in a room that is considerably warm.

    3. Consider adding another fan in your computer case.

    4. Shut your computer down, open the case and (after removing any static
    electricity from your hands) touch each of the expansion cards (e.g: network
    card, sound card, video card) to see how warm they are. If it burns your
    hand when you touch one of them, throw the card out and replace it if
    necessary.

    The Prophecy, Apr 16, 2004