Computer Audio question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Art, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. Art

    Art Guest

    My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening music,
    it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more important.

    It's a three year old Pentium 5 single processor, 1.5 gig, with 2 gigs of
    memory. The main job of the laptop is to record and play audio, and now it
    does neither dependably.

    It's an HP with the factory SB clone sound card, drivers have been recently
    updated. There's room on the hard drive and it's defragged. Virus and
    malware scan shows nothing amiss.

    A PC whiz I ran into at a meeting suggested I hadn't properly notified the
    system when I upgraded memory from a half a gig, and he led me through some
    menus. That turned out to be right. We changed that, and now the system
    knows there's two gigs of memory. (Still, when it was new and only had half
    a gig, it played audio with no problems.)

    I don't think problems started when I increased memory. In fact, audio
    performance problems were the main reason I added memory.

    Video playback glitches and stutters too. In both cases, video and audio,
    within thirty seconds to a minute it smooths out and seems to be OK. The
    last few times I've had to play audio publicly, it worked fine, but you
    can't count on it. When I've had to use it in presentations, I've opened up
    the Task Manager and killed every peripheral program I could, as well as
    turning off wi-fi.

    If you have a suggestion how I could again joyfully hear the Windows XP boot
    up music in its original glory, one that works, I'd be eternally grateful
    and always say nice things about you.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Art, Jan 30, 2009

  2. Art

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:

    > My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    > music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    > important.

    Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    again.

    Dan C, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Art

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:p Dan C
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:
    >
    >> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    >> music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    >> important.

    > Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    > again.

    Hey! That's funny!

    Trying to get audio working on old laptops is one of the most difficult
    Linux chores there is.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Art

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, "Art" <> wrote:

    >My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening music,
    >it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more important.

    Turn off audio for Windows events. :)

    Does the mouse work when it stutters?

    >It's a three year old Pentium 5 single processor, 1.5 gig, with 2 gigs of
    >memory. The main job of the laptop is to record and play audio, and now it
    >does neither dependably.
    >
    >It's an HP with the factory SB clone sound card, drivers have been recently
    >updated. There's room on the hard drive and it's defragged. Virus and
    >malware scan shows nothing amiss.

    Does audio play in safe mode? Been too long since I tried..

    >A PC whiz I ran into at a meeting suggested I hadn't properly notified the
    >system when I upgraded memory from a half a gig, and he led me through some
    >menus. That turned out to be right. We changed that, and now the system
    >knows there's two gigs of memory. (Still, when it was new and only had half
    >a gig, it played audio with no problems.)

    What? I've never had to do anything when I've installed memory..

    >If you have a suggestion how I could again joyfully hear the Windows XP boot
    >up music in its original glory, one that works, I'd be eternally grateful
    >and always say nice things about you.

    For the love of all that's holy, why? :)
    Evan Platt, Jan 30, 2009
  5. Art

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:55:24 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > In news:p Dan C
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:
    >>
    >>> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    >>> music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    >>> important.

    >> Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    >> again.

    > Hey! That's funny!
    >
    > Trying to get audio working on old laptops is one of the most difficult
    > Linux chores there is.

    Wrong. Older hardware generally is easier to get working in Linux (than
    new hardware). His laptop is a prime candidate for Linux, and is almost
    certainly well supported.

    Dan C, Jan 30, 2009
  6. In message <Xns9BA3A1D353885VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7>, Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:p Dan C
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:
    > >
    > >> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    > >> music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    > >> important.

    > > Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    > > again.

    > Hey! That's funny!
    >
    > Trying to get audio working on old laptops is one of the most difficult
    > Linux chores there is.

    Pft! ALSA not working? Try OSS...
    I've never been flummoxed by a sound card in teh linux...

    ^_^

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 30, 2009
  7. In message <9tKgl.372$>, "Art" wrote:
    > My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening music,

    IRQ issue...somethings stomping on some allocated memory.

    > it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more important.

    Think different?
    Mheh...

    > It's a three year old Pentium 5 single processor, 1.5 gig, with 2 gigs of
    > memory. The main job of the laptop is to record and play audio, and now it
    > does neither dependably.

    My condolences.

    > It's an HP with the factory SB clone sound card, drivers have been recently
    > updated. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ^^^^^^^^^^^

    Roll back the driver for your soundcard.
    Case Closed.

    ^_^

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 30, 2009
  8. Art

    chuckcar Guest

    "Art" <> wrote in news:9tKgl.372$:

    > My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    > music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    > important.
    >
    > It's a three year old Pentium 5 single processor, 1.5 gig, with 2 gigs
    > of memory. The main job of the laptop is to record and play audio, and
    > now it does neither dependably.
    >
    > It's an HP with the factory SB clone sound card, drivers have been
    > recently updated. There's room on the hard drive and it's defragged.
    > Virus and malware scan shows nothing amiss.
    >
    > A PC whiz I ran into at a meeting suggested I hadn't properly notified
    > the system when I upgraded memory from a half a gig, and he led me
    > through some menus. That turned out to be right. We changed that, and
    > now the system knows there's two gigs of memory. (Still, when it was
    > new and only had half a gig, it played audio with no problems.)
    >
    > I don't think problems started when I increased memory. In fact, audio
    > performance problems were the main reason I added memory.
    >
    > Video playback glitches and stutters too. In both cases, video and
    > audio, within thirty seconds to a minute it smooths out and seems to be
    > OK. The last few times I've had to play audio publicly, it worked fine,
    > but you can't count on it. When I've had to use it in presentations,
    > I've opened up the Task Manager and killed every peripheral program I
    > could, as well as turning off wi-fi.

    That would certainly help keep things efficient, but you *do* have to shut
    them off permanently with msconfig.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 30, 2009
  9. Art

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:p Dan C
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:55:24 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> In news:p Dan C
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy
    >>> life again.

    >> Hey! That's funny!
    >>
    >> Trying to get audio working on old laptops is one of the most
    >> difficult Linux chores there is.

    > Wrong.

    Tell that to all the Thinkpad 600E owners.

    > Older hardware generally is easier to get working in Linux (than
    > new hardware). His laptop is a prime candidate for Linux, and is
    > almost certainly well supported.

    Almost certainly?

    That's nice.

    And, good luck.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Jan 31, 2009
  10. Art

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:08:24 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    >>> Trying to get audio working on old laptops is one of the most
    >>> difficult Linux chores there is.

    >> Wrong.

    > Tell that to all the Thinkpad 600E owners.

    I just did.

    >> Older hardware generally is easier to get working in Linux (than
    >> new hardware). His laptop is a prime candidate for Linux, and is
    >> almost certainly well supported.

    > Almost certainly?

    Yeah, almost certainly. What don't you understand about that?

    > That's nice.

    Indeed it is.

    > And, good luck.

    Good luck? With what? I'm not the one with the "issue".

    Do you know anything about Linux? Have you ever used it? Are you just
    talking out your ass, or what? Are you just a common Win-droid
    regurgitating what your master Billy Gates tells you to say?

    Dan C, Jan 31, 2009
  11. Art

    Ace Hung Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:
    >
    >> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    >> music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    >> important.

    > Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    > again.

    Hi, do you know how I can make the sound volume louder in linux? I mean
    at the same speaker volume knob control setting, the windows pc seems to
    be louder than the linux pc (smae computer). Thanks
    Ace Hung, Jan 31, 2009
  12. Art

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:53:38 +0800, Ace Hung wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, Art wrote:
    >>
    >>> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening
    >>> music, it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more
    >>> important.

    >> Wipe that Windoze crap off your laptop, install Linux, and enjoy life
    >> again.
    >>

    > Hi, do you know how I can make the sound volume louder in linux? I mean
    > at the same speaker volume knob control setting, the windows pc seems to
    > be louder than the linux pc (smae computer). Thanks

    I'd try running 'alsamixer' (as root). Turn up the sliders to a higher
    value, and if you see "MM" at the bottom of a slider, it means it's
    muted, press 'M' to un-mute it. Use the arrow keys to adjust sliders.

    When done adjusting, press 'Esc' to exit, and then run 'alsactl store' to
    store the settings so they stick.

    Dan C, Jan 31, 2009
  13. Art

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:40:02 -0600, "Art" <> wrote:
    >
    >> My laptop stutters playing audio. Even during the Windows opening music,
    >> it's interrupted half a dozen times to do something more important.

    > Turn off audio for Windows events. :)
    >
    > Does the mouse work when it stutters?
    >
    >> It's a three year old Pentium 5 single processor, 1.5 gig, with 2 gigs of
    >> memory. The main job of the laptop is to record and play audio, and now it
    >> does neither dependably.
    >>
    >> It's an HP with the factory SB clone sound card, drivers have been recently
    >> updated. There's room on the hard drive and it's defragged. Virus and
    >> malware scan shows nothing amiss.

    > Does audio play in safe mode? Been too long since I tried..
    >
    >> A PC whiz I ran into at a meeting suggested I hadn't properly notified the
    >> system when I upgraded memory from a half a gig, and he led me through some
    >> menus. That turned out to be right. We changed that, and now the system
    >> knows there's two gigs of memory. (Still, when it was new and only had half
    >> a gig, it played audio with no problems.)

    > What? I've never had to do anything when I've installed memory..
    >
    >> If you have a suggestion how I could again joyfully hear the Windows XP boot
    >> up music in its original glory, one that works, I'd be eternally grateful
    >> and always say nice things about you.

    > For the love of all that's holy, why? :)

    actually, I've wondered if I could get the music from 98 open instead of
    the XP bootup music, why? mmm... eh I like the sound.
    zvnteq7, Jan 31, 2009
  14. Art

    doS Guest

    it something running in the background, the av most likely

    doS, Feb 1, 2009
  15. Art

    Art Guest

    Since I have about two thousand dollars worth of Windows-only software on
    the laptop, that is not a viable plan.

    Art, Feb 3, 2009
  16. Art

    Art Guest

    Thanks James; I tried your suggestion, and it made no difference.

    wisdomkiller & pain suggested I monitor in Task Manager while I play audio.
    I've been trying that for a week or two (occasionally), but the darned thing
    mostly plays perfectly when I'm watching like that.

    Generally, if I click an MP3, wav or video file, when the player opens it
    starts and stutters. If I press STOP, and wait a few seconds and start
    again, it usually plays better, if not perfect.

    I've been suspecting Sophos, my AV program, because when it downloads and
    scans it has no hesitance to use most of the computer power, but I haven't
    been able to catch it in the act yet.

    Worst thing is the Windows boot up music; it's always pitifully broken up,
    and it presents an annoying performance the very instant it comes alive.
    Always puts me in a foul mood right away.

    If this computer's main job wasn't recording and playing audio, I could live
    with it.

    Incidentally, when recording (line in on external SoundBlaster) it drops
    out, too. I can record for two minutes and end up with a one minute
    recording (with parts missing because it paused the record process).

    It's a four year old computer, and was fine for the first three years.

    So far, I've updated the drivers, increased the memory, and checked these
    Direct X settings. None of those things made it any better or worse.

    Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I've gotten a lot of good help
    here.

    Art, Feb 20, 2009
  17. Art wrote:
    > Thanks James; I tried your suggestion, and it made no difference.
    >
    > wisdomkiller & pain suggested I monitor in Task Manager while I play audio.
    > I've been trying that for a week or two (occasionally), but the darned thing
    > mostly plays perfectly when I'm watching like that.

    Thats freakin weird...

    > Generally, if I click an MP3, wav or video file, when the player opens it
    > starts and stutters. If I press STOP, and wait a few seconds and start
    > again, it usually plays better, if not perfect.

    I'd try a different player...VLC or something like it...

    > I've been suspecting Sophos, my AV program, because when it downloads and
    > scans it has no hesitance to use most of the computer power, but I haven't
    > been able to catch it in the act yet.
    >
    > Worst thing is the Windows boot up music; it's always pitifully broken up,
    > and it presents an annoying performance the very instant it comes alive.
    > Always puts me in a foul mood right away.

    Smoke a fatty beforehand?
    Somthing is competing with the sound card for an IRQ...

    > If this computer's main job wasn't recording and playing audio, I could live
    > with it.
    >
    > Incidentally, when recording (line in on external SoundBlaster)

    Whoa...external SB...onna usb dongle?
    That rawks :)

    it drops
    > out, too. I can record for two minutes and end up with a one minute
    > recording (with parts missing because it paused the record process).
    >
    > It's a four year old computer, and was fine for the first three years.
    >
    > So far, I've updated the drivers, increased the memory, and checked these
    > Direct X settings. None of those things made it any better or worse.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I've gotten a lot of good help
    > here.

    Format and reinstall :)
    You've spent enough time dicking around doing the safe options.
    Its time to kill off wtf ever is living in there competing for address
    space I/O IRQ & stuff like that there.
    Do a clean install and load up the software to do you audio work.
    If it works AT THAT POINT...then add ONE program at a time back to see
    if you can find the one that FU><0rs it.

    Thats my best guess...but wtf do I know...I'm a BeOS guy.

    ^_^

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 20, 2009
  18. Art wrote:

    > Thanks James; I tried your suggestion, and it made no difference.
    >
    > wisdomkiller & pain suggested I monitor in Task Manager while I play
    > audio. I've been trying that for a week or two (occasionally), but the
    > darned thing mostly plays perfectly when I'm watching like that.

    Put the taskmanager into autostart ;-)

    > Incidentally, when recording (line in on external SoundBlaster) it drops

    *rings a bell* ... how is that one connected, via some crappy via chipset
    usb port or .....???

    Use bios setup to turn off any devices/ioports you don't need.
    Or at least disable them in device manager.

    Try another usb port for the soundblaster. A 4-5 year old 'puter may well
    have a mix of usb1.1 and usb2.0 ports, or "full speed" and "high speed".
    Use a knoppix cd/dvd and the "lsusb -v" function to learn more.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 21, 2009