    on the phone...can i still use a computer answering machine...any help
    appreciated...thanks...

    xxoo...peace....
    Zippo, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Zippo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Zippo wrote:
    > what is the best computer answering machine??
    > ...freeware of course....also...
    > i am using DSL...phone cord is split...with filter
    > on the phone...can i still use a computer answering machine...any help
    > appreciated...thanks...
    >
    > xxoo...peace....

    Hope you had a nice holiday. Now put a little fun in your life,
    Experiment. :)

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Zippo

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:51:49 GMT, "Zippo" <> wrote:

    |> i am using DSL...phone cord is split...with filter
    |> on the phone...can i still use a computer answering machine...any help
    |> appreciated...thanks...

    Yep, set it up like this:

    ------(filter)----(internal voice modem)

    DSL

    (ethernet card)

    --
    , Dec 27, 2004
  4. Zippo wrote:

    > what is the best computer answering machine??

    Probably one that's not running Windows. How long will Windows run
    without needing a reboot to keep going -- like, say, when you're away at
    work and *need* the answering machine function? I don't know about your
    habits, but when I ran an answering machine (I use a service, now) it
    was always on, so it could catch calls even if I was home and slept
    through them or was in the john or something. I'd not want my answering
    machine to sit there all day in BSOD state while unanswered calls were
    coming in.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > |> i am using DSL...phone cord is split...with filter
    > |> on the phone...can i still use a computer answering machine...any help
    > |> appreciated...thanks...
    > |>

    > Yep, set it up like this:
    >
    > ------(filter)----(internal voice modem)
    > |
    > DSL
    > |
    > (ethernet card)

    ....thank you...your very kind...last question...
    how can one tell if one has a voice modem??..
    laptop came with standard 56k modem...voiceable??
    Zippo, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > > what is the best computer answering machine??

    > Probably one that's not running Windows. How long will Windows run
    > without needing a reboot to keep going -- like, say, when you're away at
    > work and *need* the answering machine function? I don't know about your
    > habits, but when I ran an answering machine (I use a service, now) it
    > was always on, so it could catch calls even if I was home and slept
    > through them or was in the john or something. I'd not want my answering
    > machine to sit there all day in BSOD state while unanswered calls were
    > coming in.

    ...thats good advice...i rarely answer my phone...
    i have telemarketers clamoring to gain my attention...
    fools (especially women) wanting a piece of my hiney
    either thru my wallet or my groin...i don't require all
    the attention or aggravation...best to be extremely
    selective...

    an excellent job and perfect credit has its disadvantages....
    perhaps i should just go to an off the shelf digital
    answering machine...more wires...damn things are
    everywhere...xxoo...peace....
    Zippo, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Zippo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Zippo wrote:
    >>>what is the best computer answering machine??

    >>Probably one that's not running Windows. How long will Windows run
    >>without needing a reboot to keep going -- like, say, when you're away at
    >>work and *need* the answering machine function? I don't know about your
    >>habits, but when I ran an answering machine (I use a service, now) it
    >>was always on, so it could catch calls even if I was home and slept
    >>through them or was in the john or something. I'd not want my answering
    >>machine to sit there all day in BSOD state while unanswered calls were
    >>coming in.

    > ..thats good advice...i rarely answer my phone...
    > i have telemarketers clamoring to gain my attention...
    > fools (especially women) wanting a piece of my hiney
    > either thru my wallet or my groin...i don't require all
    > the attention or aggravation...best to be extremely
    > selective...
    >
    > an excellent job and perfect credit has its disadvantages....
    > perhaps i should just go to an off the shelf digital
    > answering machine...more wires...damn things are
    > everywhere...xxoo...peace....

    Vtech has a cordless with ans and built in TeleZapper built in. Hangs
    up on Telemarketers and removes your number from their computer.
    Works great.

    Old Gringo, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Zippo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Zippo" <> wrote in message

    | > Yep, set it up like this:
    | >
    | > ------(filter)----(internal voice modem)
    | > |
    | > DSL
    | > |
    | > (ethernet card)
    | >

    | ...thank you...your very kind...last question...
    | how can one tell if one has a voice modem??..
    | laptop came with standard 56k modem...voiceable??

    Hi, Zippo...if you are running XP, try this:
    Control Panel / Phone & Modem Options / Modems tab. Select your modem, click
    on Properties, then Diagnostics, then Query Modem. The list should show you
    what your modem is capable of - mine says "Video Ready" and Data/Fax but not
    voice. If you don't have a voice modem, you can probably buy an external
    modem that plugs into USB or the serial port.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Zippo

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:33:53 GMT, "Zippo" <> wrote:

    |> > Yep, set it up like this:
    |> >
    |> > ------(filter)----(internal voice modem)
    |> > |
    |> > DSL
    |> > |
    |> > (ethernet card)
    |> >

    |> how can one tell if one has a voice modem??..
    |> laptop came with standard 56k modem...voiceable??

    Control panel > modem > double click on your modem.
    Poke around in there, look for a description of the modem.
    If all else fails google your modem.

    --
    , Dec 28, 2004
  10. Zippo

    Ed Pulliam Guest

    On December 27 2004, "Zippo" <> wrote:
    > what is the best computer answering machine??
    > ....freeware of course....also...

    Sorry, but the best can't be free!

    CallSoft Pro has many extended features, including
    Answering machine.

    · Caller ID.

    · Send and receive faxes.

    · Speakerphone.

    · Distinctive Ring.

    · Multiple multi level mailboxes e.g Create mailboxes with sub
    mailboxes.

    · Phone dialer.

    · Call Forwarding.

    · Call scheduler.

    · Fax on demand. Allows your callers to request a fax be sent to
    them.

    · Optionally run as a service and minimize to your system tray.

    · Phone book. You can also import contact from your Windows
    address book.

    · Speech. Supports Microsoft's text to speech. This allows Call
    Soft Pro to speak both though your computers speakers and over the phone
    line.

    · TAPI compliant. Can be used with most voice modems and can share
    the modem with other applications.

    · Active X support. This means Call Soft Pro can interact with
    other programs like Web servers, word processors or applications written
    by third parties.

    · Log incoming calls, in a format defined by you, to a file with
    an unlimited number of entries that can be imported into other programs
    such as Microsoft's Excel.

    · Instantly view the incoming call list or phone book in Notepad
    or Excel.

    · Add callers to your phone book based on caller ID name or
    number.

    · Optionally have audible notification of a call. You can have the
    caller's name and number spoken or create your own sound to alert you of
    a call. You can also customize the notification sound if the caller is
    in your phone book.

    · If a caller is known you can optionally create a personal
    greeting and assign them to a mailbox.

    · Block calls such as telemarketers.

    · Lookup name and addresses of incoming callers or people in you
    phone book via Internet phone book services like Switchboard, AnyWho,
    Whitepages etc.

    And a whole lot more!

    It's $49.95 (free trial, of course,) and available at www.ouisoft.com .
    Ed Pulliam, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Zippo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ed Pulliam" <snipped> wrote in message
    | On December 27 2004, "Zippo" <> wrote:
    | > what is the best computer answering machine??
    | > ....freeware of course....also...
    |
    | Sorry, but the best can't be free!
    |
    | CallSoft Pro has many extended features, including
    |
    | It's $49.95 (free trial, of course,) and available at www.ouisoft.com .

    (Shameless hussy...er...hustle <g>)
    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  12. Zippo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ed Pulliam" <> wrote in message
    | On December 27 2004, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    | > (Shameless hussy...er...hustle <g>)
    |
    | Yes, I am. And I should have added a disclaimer to my post. Sorry I
    | didn't.

    That's okay with me - that's why I kinda made a joke about it. You don't
    show up here spamming every day after all <g>

    Actually I was quite impressed with your features list...if I didn't already
    have a digital answering machine, I might have looked at it more closely.
    For several years I used Symantecs Talkworks, but it's not compatible with
    XP.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  13. Zippo

    Ed Pulliam Guest

    Ed Pulliam, Dec 28, 2004
  14. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    28 Dec 2004 04:56:30 GMT, (Ed Pulliam) screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >On December 27 2004, "Toolman Tim"
    ><> wrote:
    >> (Shameless hussy...er...hustle <g>)

    >Yes, I am. And I should have added a disclaimer to my post. Sorry I
    >didn't.

    Does it wipe your ass and julienned vegtables?
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > Vtech has a cordless with ans and built in TeleZapper built in. Hangs
    > up on Telemarketers and removes your number from their computer.
    > Works great.

    ....jesuz gringo...your aptitude is uncanny...i'll check
    into it...well...after the vicious feeding frenzy regarding
    returns,rebate, buy one get one free, eat it lady, you
    bought it live with it, and let us up not forget the clad
    the snot nosed bugger that 'help' with the decision....

    if nature came upon me with a smiling face...i think
    i would bone it up the ***...ah hell been doing that for years...just check
    my garbage...

    ...recycling...is a fools world of 'environment'...

    xxoo...peace...save the whales..and them dobbers,
    and them furry l'il creatures that eat ones excess...
    Zippo, Dec 28, 2004
  16. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > It's $49.95 (free trial, of course,) and available at www.ouisoft.com .

    ....fifty bucks??!!...you gotta be kidding...
    i get get cheaper at verizon....

    ....sales is not your nature son...bong hit
    for the clueless....
    Zippo, Dec 28, 2004
  17. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > | CallSoft Pro has many extended features, including
    > |
    > | It's $49.95 (free trial, of course,) and available at www.ouisoft.com .
    >
    > (Shameless hussy...er...hustle <g>)

    ....and his nite job is as a trollop...
    maybe be 'crack' is involved...
    Zippo, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > Does it wipe your ass and julienned vegtables?

    ...ain't you the suck-ass that slimes upon
    ATJ??....fucking slime...

    ...go away...if you can't contribute then go and
    stomp on some corn and call the auths to explain
    yer discovery...'probly be a swaskica...

    .....idiot savant...got swim in your own pool...
    Zippo, Dec 28, 2004
  19. Zippo

    Zippo Guest

    > |> how can one tell if one has a voice modem??..
    > |> laptop came with standard 56k modem...voiceable??
    > |>

    > Control panel > modem > double click on your modem.
    > Poke around in there, look for a description of the modem.
    > If all else fails google your modem.

    ....thank you...the info will be taken to heart....and if
    you don't mind i'd like to post the results...rob k. not
    withstanding...thanks again...

    xxoo...peace...
    Zippo, Dec 28, 2004
  20. Zippo

    Plato Guest

    Zippo wrote:

    > what is the best computer answering machine??

    A $19 dollar one at Targets.
    Plato, Dec 29, 2004